Car in flames outside Terminal 5

Old Jul 30, 11, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Car in flames outside Terminal 5

Someone left their car parked right outside the terminal in the drop off area and the front half sets itself alight. It also took a few minutes before the firemen arrived, during which the petrol inside the tank could have also ignited. The consequences of that don't need to be explained. While the car was on fire, there were NO staff redirecting drop off cars and people away, and instead just acting as if nothing was happening so anyone could just go right up to it, which just shows the extreme unpreparedness of T5 for these kind of events and is frankly unbelievable. There have been attacks on airports involving vehicles, and in the wake of this threat why didn't the staff take more precaution?
Did anyone else see this?

Last edited by hifly15; Jul 30, 11 at 12:36 am
Old Jul 30, 11, 12:43 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Actually the vehicle area at T5 is very well seperated from the Terminal building proper, so apart from rubber necking idiots the risk to PAX is minimal. Also, although film makers would have you believe otherwise, the petrol tank is at the rear of the car and modern cars have cut off valves in the fule line so the risk of a fire in the engine area is very unlikely to affect the fuel tank.
Old Jul 30, 11, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Also, although film makers would have you believe otherwise, the petrol tank is at the rear of the car and modern cars have cut off valves in the fule line so the risk of a fire in the engine area is very unlikely to affect the fuel tank.
Very true. A friend of mine is one (a film maker) and he told me they actually have to really make an effort to create those explosions. Modern day fuel tanks can even withstand direct fire.
Old Jul 30, 11, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkt07pEi0zg

This was T3 last year.

Contains Virgin girl so OT, sorry.
Old Jul 30, 11, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Also, although film makers would have you believe otherwise, the petrol tank is at the rear of the car and modern cars have cut off valves in the fule line so the risk of a fire in the engine area is very unlikely to affect the fuel tank.
Very true. A friend of mine is one (a film maker) and he told me they actually have to really make an effort to create those explosions. Modern day fuel tanks can even withstand direct fire.
Iv only seen it once and that was in a car involved in a high speed impact where the fuel line was ruptured due to the impact.

cs
Old Jul 30, 11, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by origin View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkt07pEi0zg

This was T3 last year.

Contains Virgin girl so OT, sorry.
There was a BMW X5 on fire there in Dec too.
Old Jul 30, 11, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
A "few minutes" for the firemen to arrive suggest to me they got there pretty quickly.
Old Jul 30, 11, 7:31 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
A "few minutes" for the firemen to arrive suggest to me they got there pretty quickly.
Especially as they won't have been the airfield crews, but rather the normal local station. Hatton Cross pehaps?
Old Jul 30, 11, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Especially as they won't have been the airfield crews, but rather the normal local station. Hatton Cross pehaps?
Heston and Heathrow fire station?
Old Jul 30, 11, 9:47 am

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
at the risk of being slated for being flippant....

having read another thread today about private hire drivers beings shoo'ed away by BAA even if they are making a pre-arranged collection, are we sure this incident is in the drop-off area - could BAA be taking things a bit too far to deter these PH cars?

Thought so... I'll get my coat
Old Jul 30, 11, 10:16 am

Cars self-imolate all the time, it's just not widely reported.
Old Jul 30, 11, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by origin View Post
Heston and Heathrow fire station?
BAA actually have got to provide domestic cover for LHR, not just aircraft at LHR

cs
Old Jul 30, 11, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Thought so... I'll get my coat
Close the door on your way out
Old Jul 30, 11, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
On the way to FCO to catch a BA flight (so OT!) we were really surprised to see a car engulfed in flames at the side of the road with the passengers sitting about 40 feet from it. I was surprised firstly that a modern car would go up in flames like that and secondly that the passengers were sitting so close to the car that could (in theory if not in practice) explode!
Old Jul 30, 11, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
BAA actually have got to provide domestic cover for LHR, not just aircraft at LHR

cs
Just to add to this, as far as im aware LFB will always be despatched to back up BAA's fire service at any alarm within the terminals/grounds of LHR, including roads should there be an RTC etc. However the BAA crew(s) should always attend first.

Same applies to all airports within the England and Wales, and comes under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004.

As far as i know LHR has at least 2 domestic pumps, which are equiped to respond to fires, flooding, rtc's etc and will be crewed and kitted to the same standard as the London fire brigade.

Originally Posted by LondonAndy View Post
On the way to FCO to catch a BA flight (so OT!) we were really surprised to see a car engulfed in flames at the side of the road with the passengers sitting about 40 feet from it. I was surprised firstly that a modern car would go up in flames like that and secondly that the passengers were sitting so close to the car that could (in theory if not in practice) explode!

This sort of thing never fails to amaze me, you would be surprised how many rtc's you get to and find people sat in stupid places where if another crash happens the cars from the first incident will be pushed into the people sat besides the road !

muppets

cs

Search this Thread