Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Titles on Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Passenger Titles on Booking

I know this is a silly question but has anyone tried using Lord or Sir as a title on your booking? Will the crew actually address you as My Lord? Nothing better to massage the ego
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
A few people do it, but we just address them in the same way as we do all other passengers.

Same way we do for genuine Lords/Lady's - who usually book their tickets under Mr/Mrs. The real titled people just want to be normal.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I know this is a silly question but has anyone tried using Lord or Sir as a title on your booking? Will the crew actually address you as My Lord? Nothing better to massage the ego
You saw that article in the Mail (or was it the Times) at the weekend didn't you?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:25 am

On award bookings yes, I've tried a few
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Lol, if it does not match up with your passport title do immigration get suspicious?

Originally Posted by SteveF
You saw that article in the Mail (or was it the Times) at the weekend didn't you?
No what was the article?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Lol, if it does not match up with your passport title do immigration get suspicious?
Even a Lord is just a Mr on his passport (except I think on the observations page - thats where they put Dr etc.)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I do love it though when I'm called Dr A P Yu onboard as I think its good they have gone to the trouble of reading whats on the paperwork. I dont get annoyed when its not used, but its a really nice touch when crew do notice it and it puts me in a really great mood for the entire flight.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:44 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
My understanding is that on elevation to the House of Lords the parliamentary administration arrange for a new passport.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Tried this once on a girlfriend's ticket. I used Mademoiselle as the title for her, which is technically correct and an option in their dropdown.

Fast forward to check in at SFO. The agent refused to give her the ticket, citing a name mismatch. She had all her paperwork but the agent couldn't figure out why her passport didn't match the ticket. Finally, the agent asked her, is your nickname Maddie? Apparently on the ticket it's abbreviated SMITH/JANEMDME. It took a few minutes for it to dawn on her, then explain to the agent that it's a title not a name.

I took a lot of heat for that one
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:52 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Tried this once on a girlfriend's ticket. I used Mademoiselle as the title for her, which is technically correct and an option in their dropdown.

Fast forward to check in at SFO. The agent refused to give her the ticket, citing a name mismatch. She had all her paperwork but the agent couldn't figure out why her passport didn't match the ticket. Finally, the agent asked her, is your nickname Maddie? Apparently on the ticket it's abbreviated SMITH/JANEMDME. It took a few minutes for it to dawn on her, then explain to the agent that it's a title not a name.

I took a lot of heat for that one
I once booked at a trip with a friend (let's say his name is Fred Smith) whose proper title is "The Hon Sidney Eric Smith" (he's the son of a Lord) .... Appeared on the boarding pass as SMITH/SETHEHON Expected them to call him Setheon, but it was just "Mr Smith" (of course).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I knew a knight of the realm - while a lovely guy, he could be a bit Siralanish about it (and since he had worked hard to obtain the knighthood, I could understand why) and would quite happily use his title to improve his situation on aircraft (he was usually well looked after, knowing everyone in aviation - he did once pull the 'I know the BA chairman' at check-in when check-in were not co-operating with his polite requests - except he actually did, and the call was made and the upgrade was acquired ). Was surprised there was no 'knight of the realm' option to tick as occupation when exiting China. We suggested he try 'capitalist-running-dog-pig' - he took it in good part and opted for 'retired' instead
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Even a Lord is just a Mr on his passport (except I think on the observations page - thats where they put Dr etc.)
Not necessarily.
I've checked in a few people who have Lord/Lady/Sir/Madam on their passport. It's been the first I know of their title when seeing it on their passport page.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:25 am

Your title on the booking is the result of either:

A standard revenue booking where you chose suffix, e.g. Mr. Mrs, Miss, Sir, Dr. etc. from the drop down list.

A redemption booking where your title is automatically derived from what is set on your BAEC account.

A revenue booking made over the phone with an agent who can manually input suffixes.

What is shown in the BP also varies. Standard revenue booking will show suffix on both PYOBP and airport printed BP. Redemption will show selected suffix on PYOBP however on airport printed BP it has been hit and miss in my case. The third option I don't know yet but will find out once I start travelling on that PNR which was made over the phone.

If you have Mr/Mrs in the BAEC account the above is irrelevant.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
I am a "Dr" and it generally appears on my boarding pass. It's generally ignored; normally at check in it's "Thank you Mr Blaknail, have a nice flight". I don't mind at all, but it drives a friend of mine crazy!

I'm dreading the day when there's some medical emergency on board and have to explain it's a PhD rather than a medical doctorate....

I did once put "Dame" as my title when I went to see the pantomime. Picking up tickets I got a double take from the box office person, but I imagine it happens all the time.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
he did once pull the 'I know the BA chairman' at check-in when check-in were not co-operating with his polite requests - except he actually did, and the call was made and the upgrade was acquired ).
If you have the right surname, firmly denying being related to the BA chairman can have the same effect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.