Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Most painless routing to Mykonos (from London)

Most painless routing to Mykonos (from London)

Old Jul 26, 11, 5:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Forgot to say: The ferries are great and most of the fast ones leave from Rafina which is very close to the airport making for an easy alternative. However, you know that wind that blows through the Aegean during the whole of late July and August (and pretty much goes away from 1st September)? The same wind that on a bad day sand blasts you on Elia/ Super/ Ornos beach making it uncomfortable to sit on the sand (and a pain to shower afterwards). Well, that same wind kicks up some pretty rough seas and the first time you get caught on a fast ferry to Athens in one of those will likely be the last time you take the cat/ ferry. At least it was for me.

So yes, the boat is a good option but take that option with caution. And if you're connecting at the airport anyway, then might as well fly.
Old Jul 26, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I must offer a word of caution if you are travelling to Greece. There are still frequent strikes by different groups in various parts of Greece, many of which are often called with short notice that can affect your travel plans.

I have been to Greece for business about 4 times in the past 8 months and 3 of the 4 times there has been some kind of strike that has affected me. From public transport, to taxi drivers to the airport staff (forcing me to book a more expensive ticket the day before). I also have colleagues who have suffered similar problems as well as having issues with flights cancelled last minute by Aegean and Olympic.

So if I was you I would avoid any connections in Greece if possible just to try and minimise the potential impact for this, and try direct flights to connections else where
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Cyba said those right about the ferries, but I wouldn't go that way as they tend to be very expensive, also if you don't have any plans to stay in Athens your transfer to the port could be miserable. Taxi drivers are on strike for a week now and I can't say how far this will go. Also is windy during the summer, specially in Mykonos (We call it, The Wind's Island). If you are on a catamaran (iirc is the fastest way), will be a very miserable journey.

If you want my personal opinion, go with Aegean all the way.

If you book your ticket on Y, check if bmi offers codeshare, if they do try to book it as a BMI codeshare (U fare)-It is restricted economy (cheap) that will give you 100% miles on Aegean's FFP. I think the return will get you to Silver *A. IME A3 is far better than BA on that route especially in J.

I can't say about the lounges at LHR, but I would expect that BA's are far superior. Keep in mind that BA's Lounge in ATH is currently closed for the next couple weeks as it is going Galleries.

If you need more info about Greece/Mykonos feel free to PM me, I've never been to Mykonos but would be very easy to ask a friend and give you an answer.

Enjoy your holidays.

PS ATH is a very convenient airport for connections.

Last edited by potakas; Jul 26, 11 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd echo the comment about ATH being an easy place to connect through.

A3 all the way would be my choice - I don't see their planes being substantially more claustrophobic that a BA A320.
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
I'd echo the comment about ATH being an easy place to connect through.

A3 all the way would be my choice - I don't see their planes being substantially more claustrophobic that a BA A320.
I am 99% sure that all of their flights on that route (LHR-ATH) are with A321s. Mykonos is on A320s.
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Cyba View Post
My recommendation would be to stick with A3 all the way unless you need the BA tier points. They have a very nice product, ....Hands down the most civilised option and they have great z-fares to boot if you can get them.
Thanks for the great advice, and also a thank you to potakas and dj_jay_smith.

What does a z-fare mean in this context? As a BA regular I'm fond of Z-fares but to me they mean F redemptions. What I have noticed is that on the A3 website a business class fare to Mykonos is around £600 (plus taxes I think) at the most favourable time of day (if I pick a good day) - not much more than expedia is asking for economy. Is that a proper business class product (like domestic First in the US, or regional business class in Asia) or economy with empty seats like CE? If the former, I'd consider it very reasonable.
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
Thanks for the great advice, and also a thank you to potakas and dj_jay_smith.

What does a z-fare mean in this context? As a BA regular I'm fond of Z-fares but to me they mean F redemptions. What I have noticed is that on the A3 website a business class fare to Mykonos is around £600 (plus taxes I think) at the most favourable time of day (if I pick a good day) - not much more than expedia is asking for economy. Is that a proper business class product (like domestic First in the US, or regional business class in Asia) or economy with empty seats like CE? If the former, I'd consider it very reasonable.
It is Economy seats with the middle seat empty, actually the middle seat is used like a tray. I will search for a trip report and I will post it. I am not sure if they offer J on the domestic. Last year they had it.

Z is a normal Business Class fare. Your trip will get you to Silver instantly and then you could go for Gold. A3 is the easiest way for *Silver/Gold.

Silver is on the first 4K miles (but you get 1K as registrations bonus) , Gold is on the next 16K.

Last edited by potakas; Jul 26, 11 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 26, 11, 8:33 am

Here it is
MUC to ATH in A3 C

Flight: A3 807
Carrier: Aegean Airlines (A3)
Origin: München Franz-Joseph Strauss (MUC/EDDM)
Destination: Athens Eleftherios Venizelos (ATH/LGAV)
Departure time: 17:45 CEST (1545z UTC)
Arrival time: 21:20 EEST (1820z UTC)
Duration: 02:35
Aircraft: Airbus A320-200 SX-DVH
Fare: another business ultrasaver

After only 20 minutes of lounge time, it was time to head for my gate which meant quite a stroll towards the outskirts of T2. The area around our gate was quite empty (not to say deserted) and the rest of the waiting time proved to be a bit boring. But then, it was finally time to board my first Aegean flight.

I tell you.. I didn't have the slightest idea about what would be coming next. And remember, I'm still sitting on that very plane while I am writing this. So please, forgive any comment that may seem exaggerated or otherwise inadequate.

I had just taken my seat (and wondered what those little things in small plastic bags were that I found on my seat), the first thing happened. I still don't really believe it. A stewardess approached me and handed me a glass of pre-departure champagne. A glass of what? Did you forget that we are on a Schengen-domestic flight? And you are offering me what? A pre-departure drink? And what kind of boldness is it to offer free headphones to business class passengers who may easily afford buying them? And what are they for, anyway? The IFE? What is that? Have I just boarded the wrong flight? Are you sure I'm on that short 2-hour hop instead of the 15-hour-nonstop to Australia?

Please excuse me.. but I simply haven't experienced anything like that yet. Next, we were handex the menu for tonight's flight, which, believe it or not, included a full list of drinks and even a separate wine list.

[placeholder:menu and wine list]

After departure (which was quite the same procedure as ecery year), we were offered post-departure drinks (I chose a red wine from the list) along with (packaged) nuts and a hot towel. While meal service in Y started immediately, the 7 business class passengers were given some time to enjoy their drinks. Unlike with LH, the courses were served individually (with an initial tray containing the appetizer, the cheese and some utility stuff). The two choices for the main course were even presented on a silver tray to me, and I could make my choice after seeing both dishes. The food itself was not so great, but the way it was served and the level of service was absolutely impressive. Along with the dessert (which included a piece of extremely sweet greek sponge cake), the FA even offered an espresso which was quite good (although the taste was more like that of an espresso lungo). Ah, of course I forgot to mention the refill of my wine and water. After dinner, I opted for a glass of Metaxa (I had really eaten too much in the last few hours) which was served with a quite large plate of belgian Leonidas chocolates.

[placeholder:food pictures]

As I'm writing this, we have just passed our top of descent and are now heading straight for Athens (while being offered a top-up of my Metaxa which I declined) and the only thing I am worrying about is the question whether my bag has made it through the detour and will be awaiting me on the carousel. Other than that, this flight has just convinced me of Aegean. There really is nothing to complain about. And should I be travelling to Greece anytime again soon, I would surely book them.

After several minutes of waiting time at the baggage belt, my suitcase finally arrived. While I still wondered why it had taken so long to appear, I noticed that the priority tag was missing. Obviously, they had forgotten to re-apply it to the new baggage tag which they had attached to it after unloading it from the original plane.

IIRC Cyba also wrote his experiences for the LCA-LHR route on the Ggggrrr Larnaca thread.

Some more info about their Business product.

DOMESTIC FLIGHTS
  • Check in at a separate check-in counter
  • Priority luggage pick-up
  • Option to choose your own seat by telephone, up to 24 hours before the flight
  • Special vehicle to transfer you from the aircraft
  • Complimentary snacks and alcoholic drinks
  • Extra miles on your Miles&Bonus card
  • Access to Aegean Club Lounge at the “Eleftherios Venizelos” Airport in Athens, at the “Macedonia Airport” in Thessaloniki and the International airport of Larnaca. You can use the lounges to relax before your journey in a comfortable, tastefully designed environment, enjoying a drink or a snack.
  • For your in-flight comfort, we offer you a refreshing hot towel, your choice of soft drink, aperitif, or your preferred coffee - espresso, cappuccino or filter - while looking through a newspaper from our collection.

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS

Aegean Airlines offers business class on all its international flights, with a range of unique privileges:
  • One day’s free car rental from Hertz, for all passengers who have a Round Trip Business Class ticket for Cyprus or Bulgaria
  • Check in at a separate check-in counter
  • Priority luggage pick-up
  • Option to choose your own seat by telephone, up to 24 hours before the flight
  • Special vehicle to transfer you from the aircraft
  • Extra baggage allowance
  • Extra miles on your Miles&Bonus card
  • At the Aegean Club Lounges at the Athens, Thessaloniki and Larnaca airports you can make a brief waiting time pass even more swiftly with a drink or snack, while leafing through one of our complimentary newspapers

The car transfer is for specific airports only, for example I had it on HER every time. I wouldn't expect to happen at LHR (but can't say).

Last edited by potakas; Jul 26, 11 at 9:06 am
Old Jul 26, 11, 9:43 am

What does a z-fare mean in this context?
It's the lowest A3 business class fare (Fare rules listed below) - equivalent to BA's D-class as it's fully refundable and changeable. Normally they zero-out all availability but will release seats upon request from a travel agent. My agent seems to be able to get me Z-seats 50% of the time we request them.

The product is typical euro-business. But definitely one of the better ones in Europe. Very professional. I've flown the LHR-ATH route a few times. BA is not bad but A3 is better.

NB: Service is exactly the same on all of A3's routes so my LCA trip report applies to ATH also.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.2.0/Diamond - Sabre: LHR-JMK/A3/Z1A3GB/518 GBP]
Code:
[Rule Application & Other Conditions]
NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT
VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
BUSINESS RESTRICTED FARES FOR ONE WAY FARES
OW/RT BUSINESS CLASS FARES WITHIN EUROPE.
APPLICATION
 AREA
  THESE FARES APPLY WITHIN EUROPE.
 CLASS OF SERVICE
  THESE FARES APPLY FOR BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE.
 TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
  FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE
   ONE-WAY/ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS.
  FARES ONLY APPLY IF PURCHASED BEFORE DEPARTURE.

[Flight Application]
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN DOMESTIC
SECTORS IN GREECE
    THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
    ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
      ANY A3 FLIGHT
      ANY OA FLIGHT.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA
INTERNATIONAL SECTORS ON
    ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
      ANY A3 FLIGHT.

[Advance Reservations/Ticketing]
ORIGINATING LON -
  CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS.
  WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED.
  TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 72 HOURS AFTER
  RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
      NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
       RBD FOR INTERNATIONAL SECTOR -Z-
       RBD FOR GREEK DOMESTIC SECTOR -D/B-
ORIGINATING GREECE -
  CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS.
       RBD FOR INTERNATIONAL SECTOR -Z-
       RBD FOR GREEK DOMESTIC SECTOR -D/B-

[Stopovers]
2 FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN
EACH DIRECTION IN ATH/SKG.

[Transfers]
4 TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 2 IN EACH
DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON
THE FARE COMPONENT.

[Combinations]

ADD-ONS PERMITTED.
END-ON-END
  END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
  COMPONENTS. FARES MUST BE SHOWN SEPARATELY ON THE
  TICKET.
  PROVIDED -
    COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER A3/OA.
OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
  FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
  -TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS
   A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
   PERMITTED.
  -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS.
  PROVIDED -
    COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER A3/OA
    IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF
    EURDPVR - WITHIN EUROPE-DOMESTIC
    EURPPVR - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL
    IPREURD - WITHIN EUROPE-DOMESTIC
    IPREURP - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL.

[Surcharges]
ORIGINATING GREECE -
  FUEL SURCHARGE OF EUR 35.00 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED
  TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ADULT/CHILD/INFANT FOR
  ALL INTERNATIONAL SECTORS.
       CHARGE OF 35.00 EUR APPLIES PER INTERNATIONAL
       SECTOR.
  AND - FUEL SURCHARGE OF EUR 11.00 PER COUPON WILL BE
        ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ADULT/CHILD/
        INFANT FOR DOMESTIC SECTORS FROM/TO/VIA GREECE.
       CHARGE OF 11.00 EUR APPLIES PER DOMESTIC
       SECTORS IN GREECE.
ORIGINATING UNITED KINGDOM -
  FUEL SURCHARGE OF GBP 28.00 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED
  TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ADULT/CHILD/INFANT FOR
  ALL INTERNATIONAL SECTORS.
       CHARGE OF 28.00 GBP APPLIES PER INTERNATIONAL
       SECTOR.
  AND - FUEL SURCHARGE OF GBP 10.00 PER COUPON WILL BE
        ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ADULT/CHILD/
        INFANT FOR DOMESTIC SECTORS FROM/TO/VIA GREECE.
       CHARGE OF 10.00 GBP APPLIES PER DOMESTIC
       SECTORS IN GREECE.

[Penalties]
FARE RULE
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
    CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
       IN CASE OF COMBINATION OF DIFFERENT RBDS THE
       REFUND RESTRICTION FOR EACH SECTOR/RBD APPLIES.

ANY TIME
    CHARGE EUR 30.00/GBP 25.00 FOR NO-SHOW.

CHANGES

ANY TIME
    CHANGES PERMITTED.
       REBOOKING PERMITTED FREE OF CHARGE IN THE SAME RBD
       REBOOKING ALSO PERMITTED ANY TIME BY UPGRADING
       THE CHANGED SECTOR TO ANY NEXT HIGHER RBD.
       IN CASE OF UPGRADE THE NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT
       REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE.
       CHARGE EUR 30.00/25.00 GBP FOR NO-SHOW.
       ---------
       CAT 31 AUTOMATED REISSUES -
       A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY NOT BE REISSUED TO A
       LOWER FARE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED INTO THE
       MARKET PLACE SINCE THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE AND
       NO ITINERARY CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE.
       ---
       BEFORE DEPARTURE - CHANGES ARE PERMITTED.
       - CHANGES THAT INCLUDE A CHANGE TO THE OUTBOUND
         PORTION OF TRAVEL ARE PERMITTED.
       ---
       REPRICE OPTION 1 -
       - CHANGES MAY BE REQUESTED ANY TIME BEFORE OR
         AFTER THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST
         CHANGED FLIGHT ON THE JOURNEY.
       - NO CHARGE APPLIES EXCEPT IN CASE OF NO-SHOW -
         CHARGE OF EUR 30.00/GBP 25.00 FOR NO-SHOW.
       - NO DISCOUNTS APPLY.
       - IGNORE THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT AND ADD/COLLECT THE
         CHANGE FEE IF ANY.
       - REFUND ANY RESIDUAL AMOUNT TO THE ORIGINAL FORM
         OF PAYMENT.
       - APPLY THE CHANGE FEE OF EACH CHANGED FARE
         COMPONENT WITHIN THE JOURNEY.
       - INCLUDE THE HIGHER NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT OF THE
         PREVIOUS OR NEW TICKET IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX
         OF THE REISSUED TICKET IN ADDITION TO ANY
         CATEGORY 18 ENDORSEMENT PROVISIONS FROM THE
         REVALIDATED OR NEW FARE.
       - REPRICE USING FARES CURRENTLY IN EFFECT -
         - EXCEPT REPRICE THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT USING
           THE SAME FARE AS PREVIOUSLY TICKETED.
         - THE ADVANCE PURCHASE REQUIREMENTS OF THE NEW
           FARE ARE VALIDATED BY MEASURING THE TICKET
           REISSUE DATE TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY.
       - THE NEW FARE AMOUNT MUST BE EQUAL TO OR HIGHER
         THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKETS BASE FARE AMOUNT.
         - THE NEW TICKETS BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE
           EQUAL TO OR HIGHER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKETS
           BASE FARE AMOUNT.
         - CHANGES TO STOPOVER POINTS ARE PERMITTED.
         - CHANGES TO CONNECTION POINTS ARE PERMITTED.
         - CHANGES TO THE 1ST FLIGHT COUPON ARE PERMITTED
         - CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT ARE
           PERMITTED.
         - CHANGES TO FARE BREAK POINTS ARE PERMITTED.
         - THE NEW FARE MAY BE ANY FARE TYPE.
         - THE NEW FARE MAY BE OF ANY FARE FAMILY.
       ---
       - CHANGES TO OTHER THAN THE OUTBOUND PORTION OF
         TRAVEL ARE PERMITTED.
       ---
       REPRICE OPTION 1 -
       - CHANGES MAY BE REQUESTED ANYTIME BEFORE OR AFTER
         THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST CHANGED
         FLIGHT ON THE JOURNEY.
       - NO CHARGE APPLIES - CHARGE OF EUR 30.00/GBP
         25.00 FOR NO-SHOW.
       - NO DISCOUNTS APPLY.
         CHANGE FEE IF ANY.
         OF PAYMENT.
         PREVIOUS OR NEW TICKET IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
         THE REISSUED TICKET IN ADDITION TO ANY CATEGORY
         18 ENDORSEMENT PROVISIONS FROM THE REVALIDATED
         OR NEW FARE.
       - REPRICE USING FARES CURRENTLY IN EFFECT -
           FARE ARE VALIDATED BY MEASURING FROM TICKET
           REISSUE DATE TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE
           JOURNEY.
       - THE NEW FARE AMOUNT MUST BE EQUAL TO OR HIGHER
         THAN THE PREVIOUS FARE AMOUNT.
         - THE NEW TICKETS BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE EQUAL
           TO OR HIGHER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKETS BASE
           FARE AMOUNT.
         - CHANGES TO THE 1ST FLIGHT COUPON ARE PERMITTED
         - CHANGES TO THE 1ST FARE COMPONENT ARE
          PERMITTED.
       ---
       AFTER DEPARTURE - CHANGES ARE PERMITTED.
       ---
       REPRICE OPTION 1 -
       - CHANGES MAY BE REQUESTED ANYTIME BEFORE OR AFTER
         THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST CHANGED
         FLIGHT ON THE JOURNEY.
       - NO CHARGE APPLIES - CHARGE OF EUR 30.00/GBP
         25.00 FOR NO-SHOW.
       - NO DISCOUNTS APPLY.
         CHANGE FEE IF ANY.
         OF PAYMENT.
         PREVIOUS OR NEW TICKET IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
         THE REISSUED TICKET IN ADDITION TO ANY CATEGORY
         18 ENDORSEMENT PROVISIONS FROM THE REVALIDATED
         OR NEW FARE.
       - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN THE PREVIOUS
         WAS ISSUED PROVIDED -
         FARE ARE VALIDATED BY MEASURING FROM THE
         ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO THE DEPARTURE OF THE
         JOURNEY.
       THE NEW FARE AMOUNT MUST BE EQUAL TO OR HIGHER
       THAN THE PREVIOUS FARE AMOUNT.
       - THE NEW TICKETS BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE EQUAL
         TO OR HIGHER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKETS BASE
         FARE AMOUNT.
       - CHANGES TO THE 1ST FLIGHT COUPON ARE NOT
         PERMITTED.
       - CHANGES TO THE 1ST FARE COMPONENT ARE NOT
         PERMITTED.

GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
       REROUTING ALLOWED IF POINT OF ORIGIN PER FARE
       COMPONENT IS WITHIN THE SAME COUNTRY.

[HIP/Mileage Exceptions]
      NOTE -
       ANY MILEAGE/SURCHARGE AND EXCESS MILEAGE MUST BE
       IGNORED.
       ---
       DIFFERENTIAL DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS FARE AND THIS
       FARE SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR DIFFERENTIAL
       PROCESSING.

[Ticket Endorsement]
THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED
- VALID ON A3 FLIGHTS ONLY - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.

[Children Discounts]
CNN/ACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 2-11 - NO DISCOUNT.
OR - UNN/UNACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 5-11 - NO DISCOUNT.
OR - 1ST INF/INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 -
       CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS IN.
       MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN THE SAME
         COMPARTMENT BY ADULT PSGR 12 OR OLDER.
       CHILD DISCOUNT NOT PERMITTED.

[Miscellaneous Provisions]
THIS FARE MUST NOT BE USED AS THROUGH FARE WITH A
DIFFERENTIAL AND/OR TO CALCULATE DIFFERENTIAL.

[Eligibility]
NO ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.

[Day/Time]
NO DAY/TIME TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

[Seasonality]
NO SEASONAL TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

[Minimum Stay]
NO MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.

[Maximum Stay]
NO MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.

[Blackout Dates]
NO BLACKOUT DATES APPLY.

[Accompanied Travel]
ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL NOT REQUIRED.

[Travel Restrictions]
NO TRAVEL DATE RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

[Sales Restrictions]
NO SALES RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

[Tour Conductor Discounts]
NO DISCOUNTS FOR TOUR CONDUCTORS.

[Agent Discounts]
NO DISCOUNTS FOR SALE AGENTS.

[All Other Discounts]
NO DISCOUNTS FOR OTHERS.

[Fare By Rule]
NOT APPLICABLE.

[Groups]
NO GROUP PROVISIONS APPLY.

[Tours]
NO TOUR PROVISIONS APPLY.

[Visit Another Country]
NO VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY PROVISIONS APPLY.

[Deposits]
NO DEPOSIT PROVISIONS APPLY.

[Voluntary Changes]
NO VOLUNTARY CHANGES DATA FOUND.

[Voluntary Refunds]
NO VOLUNTARY REFUNDS DATA FOUND.

[Negotiated Fares]
NOT APPLICABLE.

[International Construction]
NOT A CONSTRUCTED FARE
Old Jul 26, 11, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Some of these suggestions are just plain painful, not painless! MUC? ZRH? Blech!

Do Aegean the entire way. I did it 3 weeks ago via Larnaca (which was longer than connecting in ATH, but painless). The Larnaca flight from LHR is new. There was a minor hiccup in Larnaca where the staff weren't used to connecting A3 passengers (ironically you get off, go through security, then back onto the same plane (A320) to JMK), but the newish airport was nice and interesting. Note for LHR, this flight leaves from T4 and there is no lounge.

A3 planes are nice and there were spare seats, especially on the LCY-JMK connection which was about 20% full. I've connected in ATH on the way back and it is simple.

I have also tried the ferry approach from Athens to Mykonos, but schlepping to the port from ATH airport, and the actual journey itself, makes the travel an entire day and a bit exhausting.

Edited to add: All of this travel was at the height of the Greek strikes. No issues on A3 LHR-LCY-JMK, then JMK-ATH-MAD 6 days later. YMMV.

Last edited by seanp7; Jul 26, 11 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 26, 11, 10:16 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I have done this every july the last 2 years - its an annual trip for all the boys from Miami Beach -

Last year I used EasyJet from LGW - the flight time is unfortunate, in that LGW check in is a complete zoo due to all the flights leaving at once, lines round the block etc etc. We said - never again - lets use BA or A3 from LHR.

This year we used BA to ATH, changing onto Aegean. The connection was a bit tight, and as we hit a 2 hour delay in LHR, we missed the A3 flight. BA were not overly helpful in sorting out the missed connection - I was told (misinformed) by a lady at a BA First CS desk that Aegean wouldn't allow changes on the telephone and they'd tried and got a recorded message that changes could only be done online. I called the london number for A3 and they were more than happy to make changes - flight changed to the late one - and all sorted.

Got to ATH - BA lost my luggage - and they had 3 hours to try to get it onto the plane at LHR. Not good.
But being GCH in CE helped and the nice lady in the BA ticket office in ATH was very helpful and lovely.

Upside of the direct non stop is less opportunity to go wrong and its an early flight out so no knock on delays.
Downside - its Easyjet and the joys that come with it.

Upside of BA/A3 is that its on BA from T5, choice of several departures, and A3 is totally lovely. Plus more assistance if things go pear shaped.

I think I'll use A3 all the way through from LHR for next years jolly.
Old Jul 26, 11, 10:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
(I used the IATA code, U2, which is normally this board's standard, but for some reason everyone seems to have switched to the ICAO code of EZY: we're all going to be flying BAW and CPA next!).
Yes, but BA announce their flights as BA, and EasyJet announce theirs as EZY, not U2. I've never yet seen anything from EasyJet on a ticket or BP that refers to themselves as U2, so one could be forgiven for using the 3 character code rather than the two...
Old Jul 26, 11, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Note for LHR, this flight leaves from T4 and there is no lounge.
Not true. They use the GF lounge which is one of the nicest lounges I've been in anywhere at Heathrow. But the A3 staff are a bit clueless so I had to ask before they issued a lounge invitation. Probably has to do with how new A3 is at T4 and the low frequency of their flights.

Note also that LCA-JMK flights operate only twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Plus it's a bit of a schlep to go all the way to LCA first and backtrack on yourself isn't it? They might have more Z availability though that way.
Old Jul 26, 11, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Not true. They use the GF lounge which is one of the nicest lounges I've been in anywhere at Heathrow. But the A3 staff are a bit clueless so I had to ask before they issued a lounge invitation. Probably has to do with how new A3 is at T4 and the low frequency of their flights.
That's good to know - thanks! ^ You're right: No one from A3 told us this. Can *G get entry (I assume no), or is it just Business Class?

Note also that LCA-JMK flights operate only twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Plus it's a bit of a schlep to go all the way to LCA first and backtrack on yourself isn't it? They might have more Z availability though that way.
Wasn't a problem for us on our trip. Even with the backtrack, we only lost 40 mins or so total over the ATH connection, and since it's the same plane the entire way, any delays out of LHR won't mean you misconnect like you would in ATH. It may come down to price also. Just another thought.
Old Jul 26, 11, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger View Post
I have done this every july the last 2 years - its an annual trip for all the boys from Miami Beach -
I was told that all the American boys like to be there when a certain cruise ship comes into port in late August.

I've never been, believe it or not, but I seem to be expected to be around this year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: