Search

BA vs EK: Dubai to London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
BA vs EK: Dubai to London

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinions and experiences.

I'm about to move to Dubai and am considering to whom I should transfer my air travel (I'm a 1-airline kind of guy).

I am BA Gold (roughly 400 points away from renewing status for another year) and EK Gold (just made it last week). I'll be undertaking trips to London once a month, but will also be undertaking trips to India (maybe twice a month). Air travel will be split approx 60/40 (business/economy).

I've gone through FT threads extensively and it seems that the BA card is more exclusive (as in its harder to get), but EK has waaay more op-ups. EK has priority baggage delivery (useful in economy/WT+) but BA has First check in and GF in London.

I've travelled quite a few times by EK and BA's premium cabins (F/J) and BA's definitely feel more exclusive and slicker, perhaps because there are less op-ups from base economy (BA's op-ups to J come from WT+).

There are clearly pros and cons to each, so just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were...

In the UAE, you also have the BA Barclaycard vs the Citi Emirates card.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:14 am

In my opinion the best (J) EK is great, but the worst is terrible (something like BA CW cradle seats on night flights) and in my experience you never knew which you would get (my last flights were DXB-MLE-DXB). I also hate the sloping 'flat' J seats on some of their fleet. Oh and EK are the only airline that ever lost my luggage on both legs.

I lived in the ME for 12 years and, if most your travel will be on BA or Oneworld routes, I would (and did) stick with that.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Have you checked the prices? Are they similar? (DXB-LHR)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Stick with both - I have.

For all my LHR and NA travel I tend to use BA and EK get the remainder of my business.

I guess it all depends on your travel patterns and how you like to redeem.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks for that - yes I agree, more extremes with EK's service.

In terms of prices, both are pretty much the same (give or take £100)...anything more than that and I'll go for the cheaper option, regardless of who operates the flight!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Does EK business still includes airport transfers are both ends at most location? It used to for use. One advantage of EK I remember from a couple of years ago.

A nightmare getting a cab at DXB airport even in the middle of the night.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you eurocheat, you can retain BA Gold with 3.5 London to DXB returns. That leaves you plenty to credit to EK, plus of course the India flights.

Logically, your holidays will start in DXB so you would want EK miles to use for those. The issue would be Skywards crazily high redemption rates.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
BA has my flying soul. In 2009 I started flying BA (WT+ when I could) and have had about 50% of my sectors upgraded to CW. I like BA ^

I have flown Emirates 3 times. Their seats are UNCOMFORTABLE. Period. Even BA economy and SU economy seats are better (in my experience). In addition, I have found Emirates' service ".....rdly" with regard to getting a glass of red wine with my meals. Folks rant about Emirate's service, I RANT about the lack of service. In all 3 Emirates' flights/sectors the FAs seemed working flat out with no time for answering questions (SH was DXB-AMM and LH was DXB-LHR). The LHR-DXB service was mediocre and I had to ask 3 times for a glass of wine - finally got it when the meal was over.

Just my experience. I don't like Emirates - no matter how much they huff and puff about their A380 and "superior" service.

BA has better se4rvice - AND FAs that exhibit an interest in the PAX.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
.........A nightmare getting a cab at DXB airport even in the middle of the night.
There are always LOTS of cabs at DXB - both T1 and T3. There are always lots of cabs at DXB as compared to SFO/JFK/LHR, and there are no cops blowing whistles and intimidating you like at SFO and JFK. DXB is civilized in comparison.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Being based in Dubai and with doing trips to places other than London, I would say that it would be a simple choice to use EK over BA. BA doesn't fly to India from Dubai

Which status is hard does depend on where you live and what type of travel is being taken and in which class. Personally I far prefer Emirates's 1st class cabins over BA's

The chauffeur drive service is also a v nice extra that BA doesn't offer. Also that EK offers a LGW service in London is a great thing for me ;

The other consideration I would say , for travel to London, EK has a lot more flights a day than BA with 8 services vs the 2 of BA

Dave
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
If your trips are originating in DXB for DXB - LHR, BA will invariably be cheaper. EK's Y prices are similar to WT+, and EK J prices (outside of current Ramadan/ Eid sales) can be sky high. So from that perspective, you're better off maintaining status on both carriers.

When you get a good deal, fly EK. DXB - LHR r/t J gets you a fifth of the way to Skywards Gold. Agree that BA Gold is more exclusive.

Also, EK's new Y seats and new J seats (which you are likely to get on LHR flights anyway) are good. And there's the flexibility of more flights in a day.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Being based in Dubai and with doing trips to places other than London, I would say that it would be a simple choice to use EK over BA.
Have to agree with this. Being based in Dubai, EK is going to offer you so many more options than BA will be able to. Correct me if I am wrong, there is no Oneworld carrier based in Dubai, so you wouldn't even be able to continue to earn points and miles on another OW carrier and retain that BA card.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by matthandy
Have to agree with this. Being based in Dubai, EK is going to offer you so many more options than BA will be able to. Correct me if I am wrong, there is no Oneworld carrier based in Dubai, so you wouldn't even be able to continue to earn points and miles on another OW carrier and retain that BA card.
Not necessarily. Depends whether the OP minds taking one stop flights with OW instead of nonstops with EK.

RJ flies to DXB and they have a fairly comprehensive regional network. I believe CX, S7, AY (and AB and IT and MH) also fly there, as well as BA.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Personally I lean more toward BA and its BAEC.

EK is a good airline but I believe in the long run it is going to be more expensive than BA due to the large size of the airline and the associated cost to operate such a large network.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Personally I lean more toward BA and its BAEC.

EK is a good airline but I believe in the long run it is going to be more expensive than BA due to the large size of the airline and the associated cost to operate such a large network.
As a middle east based airline flying A380s all over the world through a single hub, EKs costs are going to be much lower than BAs. The reason they will almost always be more expensive than BA flying out of DXB is because they can exploit their home market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.