Wiki Posts
Search

Best strategy for long US visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:02 am
EBH
Original Poster

Best strategy for long US visit

My gf and I are going to the US for 4 months from August to December to travel and study and I just wanted to ask the experts (you) how to get the most of this...

We're starting from scratch as new members and expect to purchase open jaw BA economy tickets (maybe even WT+) to Seattle and home from San Diego. Do you think it would be possible to collect enough during our stay for an upgrade on the way home?

Credit card:
We're from Denmark, so as far as I can tell a BA credit card is not an option. Is it possible to get a US BA card once we have an address there?

Rental:
We expect to do a long term rent from Avis resulting in about 5500 miles if the 3 miles per £ spent is also eligible in the US.

Accommodation:
We will be on the road for about a month and do the occassional weekend trip after that, and while on a budget, we may occasionally stay with partners.

Shopping:
Any programs I should know of?

Any suggestions on how to do this would be much appreciated! If this is impossible to do for students then just break it to me

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Firstly I assume you qualify for the appropriate visas...

You won't be able to get a BA card without a US credit history. Forget that option.

Have you priced out Avis yet? Mrs User Name and I saw some silly pricing when we looked at 100+ day rentals from the national chains (while we were traveling, as few years back) and ended up saving loads by going with a local, independent outfit.

I'm struggling to think of any legitimate ways you would earn BA miles for an upgrade on the way home, I'm afraid...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I think your first problem will be convincing the Immigration Officer that you're not intending to work or overstay those 4 months. If you're entering with an ESTA through the VWP then Immigration only normally give you a 3 month stay as maximum.

If you're planning to study you WILL need a visa which allows you to do this.

Be under no illusions that you will be questioned quite extensively for a visit of that length. You will need to prove that you have accommodation, sufficient funds for the length of stay, return ticket, etc.

I can't think of anyway you can earn miles whilst in the US to use to pay for an upgrade on the return.

Your posts says "we expect ...." on a few occasions. Do I take it that means you've booked nothing so far? If so, August is just over 2 weeks away and being school holidays air fares will be expensive, and that's if still available. Ditto car hire.

As for car hire, have you checked that Avis will allow you to pick up in one State and return to another? There's usually a heavy cost for this, if they allow it at all. Avis are one of the more expensive car rental agencies. Why not look on the internet and see if you can find something cheaper.
Bearing in mind that a compact car with Avis is circa. £400 for a 21 day stay you might even want to consider whether it might be cheaper to buy a small car for 4 months.

There's a lot of detail you'll need to sort out before going ahead with this.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:44 am
EBH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by User Name
Firstly I assume you qualify for the appropriate visas...

You won't be able to get a BA card without a US credit history. Forget that option.

Have you priced out Avis yet? Mrs User Name and I saw some silly pricing when we looked at 100+ day rentals from the national chains (while we were traveling, as few years back) and ended up saving loads by going with a local, independent outfit.

I'm struggling to think of any legitimate ways you would earn BA miles for an upgrade on the way home, I'm afraid...
Getting started really seems to be the hardest about this whole thing
On the rental, we've looked at a few options. Avis actually comes out at about $20 a day, which isn't too bad I think, but I will take your advice and contact smaller companies - Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:52 am
EBH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I think your first problem will be convincing the Immigration Officer that you're not intending to work or overstay those 4 months. If you're entering with an ESTA through the VWP then Immigration only normally give you a 3 month stay as maximum.

Be under no illusions that you will be questioned quite extensively for a visit of that length. You will need to prove that you have accommodation, sufficient funds for the length of stay, return ticket, etc.

I can't think of anyway you can earn miles whilst in the US to use to pay for an upgrade on the return.

Your posts says "we expect ...." on a few occasions. Do I take it that means you've booked nothing so far? If so, August is just over 2 weeks away and being school holidays air fares will be expensive, and that's if still available. Ditto car hire.

As for car hire, have you checked that Avis will allow you to pick up in one State and return to another? There's usually a heavy cost for this, if they allow it at all. Avis are one of the more expensive car rental agencies. Why not look on the internet and see if you can find something cheaper.
Bearing in mind that a compact car with Avis is circa. £400 for a 21 day stay you might even want to consider whether it might be cheaper to buy a small car for 4 months.

Believe me, I know! This thing has been underway for a looong time

There is a special visiting student visa and we're in the process of getting it. Because of this we can't settle on flights yet, but the prices look ok. I'm keeping an eye on them... As for buying a car, the US system seems complicated. Among other things, insurance is hard to get as a foreigner staying temporarily... So I was mainly interested in hints for collecting points in the US as a foreigner, but seems there is little opportunity for this...

Thanks anyway
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: BA
One-way upgrade WTP to CW would only be 25k miles for the pair of you. Easiest thing would be to buy the miles - you can buy 24k in one year, but open a house-hold account to buy more.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by malkie
One-way upgrade WTP to CW would only be 25k miles for the pair of you. Easiest thing would be to buy the miles - you can buy 24k in one year, but open a house-hold account to buy more.
If the OP is going to buy the miles, he may as well buy the upgrade on the return flight at the airport. He may buy the miles and then the space doesn't open up.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

Great, informative post - just want to clarify a couple of things you said.

US immigration grants 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program - never more (but very seldom less, either). The chance of extensive questioning exists, so proof should be carried, but such questioning is not guaranteed. They should simply be prepared and ready.

It's very difficult to make broad-brush statements about the cost of car rental. It's demand-based, and (frustratingly) quotes will vary wildly (sometimes +/- 200% in my experience) based on the exact pick up and drop off dates and location. Changing pick up/drop off offices in the same city will vary the rate, and choosing one may trigger a one-way fee (if applicable) where booking from an office half a mile away does not. The chunky fee that one can get hit with is a result of the booking being one-way, regardless of whether the pick up is in one state and drop-off in another, or not.

Most insurance companies require a US driving license in order to insure a car at reasonable cost, and most (all?) states have residency requirements to get them - so buying is very seldom an option for visitors.

OP - There are, however, plenty of car rental deals to be scored - check out the relevant FT pages. (e.g. If you were thinking of using Marriott hotels, then they frequently have deals whereby you purchase gift cards and get $50 (stackable) Hertz gift vouchers). I had 3 successive holiday's worth of free car rental last time they did that one.

Programs: BA
Buying an airport upgrade is also dependent on availability, and by my understanding is also more expensive than buying the required miles.
EBH
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the household account, we will do that... Is it usually cheaper to purchase miles for upgrades rather than paying for upgrades directly?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:06 am
EBH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EBH
Thanks for the tip on the household account, we will do that... Is it usually cheaper to purchase miles for upgrades rather than paying for upgrades directly?

Topic already covered, thanks for the quick answers! Also for the hints on rentals.. Starting to think it requires even more searching than flights. The Avis deal was roughly $2900 for a little more than 4 months one way, isn't that pretty good deal?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:11 am
EBH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by User Name
Great, informative post - just want to clarify a couple of things you said.

US immigration grants 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program - never more (but very seldom less, either). The chance of extensive questioning exists, so proof should be carried, but such questioning is not guaranteed. They should simply be prepared and ready.

It's very difficult to make broad-brush statements about the cost of car rental. It's demand-based, and (frustratingly) quotes will vary wildly (sometimes +/- 200% in my experience) based on the exact pick up and drop off dates and location. Changing pick up/drop off offices in the same city will vary the rate, and choosing one may trigger a one-way fee (if applicable) where booking from an office half a mile away does not. The chunky fee that one can get hit with is a result of the booking being one-way, regardless of whether the pick up is in one state and drop-off in another, or not.

Most insurance companies require a US driving license in order to insure a car at reasonable cost, and most (all?) states have residency requirements to get them - so buying is very seldom an option for visitors.

OP - There are, however, plenty of car rental deals to be scored - check out the relevant FT pages. (e.g. If you were thinking of using Marriott hotels, then they frequently have deals whereby you purchase gift cards and get $50 (stackable) Hertz gift vouchers). I had 3 successive holiday's worth of free car rental last time they did that one.
Great info on the rentals here, thanks. I don't want to derail this into a visa discussion, but we will not enter on a standard tourist visa, but a visa which requires acceptance into a university (it's called F1). It allows for a stay of the duration of the program + a little time before and after. The interview is held before entrance at an embassy...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by EBH
Topic already covered, thanks for the quick answers! Also for the hints on rentals.. Starting to think it requires even more searching than flights. The Avis deal was roughly $2900 for a little more than 4 months one way, isn't that pretty good deal?
$24 a day sounds good - but did it include insurance, additional driver fees (if applicable) etc? These items can seriously bump the cost.

Was this price directly from the Avis US site? Car rental companies also make inventory available via 3rd party sites such as Expedia (and many others) and rates are often bundled with insurance (and more) on those companies non-US sites (e.g. expedia.co.uk) at far lower cost than booking directly with the rental company's US site (e.g. avis.com). It really does take a lot of trial and error, but the savings can be absolutely huge.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by EBH
Great info on the rentals here, thanks. I don't want to derail this into a visa discussion, but we will not enter on a standard tourist visa, but a visa which requires acceptance into a university (it's called F1). It allows for a stay of the duration of the program + a little time before and after. The interview is held before entrance at an embassy...
That's fine. There is often a lot of misinformation posted on this subject so I wanted to clarify for the sake of others who find this thread through searching.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:15 am
Suspended

Buying an airport upgrade is also dependent on availability, and by my understanding is also more expensive than buying the required miles.
Airport upgrades are far more readily available than are miles upgrades.

WT to WT+ is £179, WT+ to CW £399 - so yes it would be more expensive to upgrade WT+ to CW but far more chance of it being available for cash than for miles. It's a risk you have to decide on, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.