Experience travelling with infant in new first 777

Old Jul 10, 11, 5:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 228
Experience travelling with infant in new first 777

Just wanted to report my experiences travelling with an infant in first class in new first. The flight was IAH - LHR on a 777. It worked out very well and was worth doing because of the extra space. Compared to flying in economy (which we did prior to connecting to the transatlantic flight) it was a much easier trip. The baby slept almost the entire flight and didn't disturb the other passengers.

On our IAH - LHR segment the crew wasn't able to find the bassinet so we ended up not being able to use it. On the return they were able to find it and here's what the bassinet looks like. Note that when using the bassinet you're unable to use the video screen.




I'd also highly recommend booking a cabana in the lounge as that way you have privacy and don't have to worry about disturbing others.
greg999 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 11, 6:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 568
That photo is too cute!!
halfcape is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Posts: 7,924
It is disappointing not to be able to use the IFE screen
NA-Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 12:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cham CH
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,641
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
It is disappointing not to be able to use the IFE screen
A devoted mama/papa will be happy gazing adoringly at their offspring, surely
heckenhocker is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 12:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Posts: 482
Is this restricted to specific seats on a 777?
paul.goffin is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 8:00 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 228
I think it's only in 4th row in the middle on the right side (I can't remember the seat number)
greg999 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Town
Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Posts: 124
Great post, will soon use the bassinet to Germany on babyrhino's first trip.
FlyingRhino is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 2:05 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Originally Posted by FlyingRhino View Post
Great post, will soon use the bassinet to Germany on babyrhino's first trip.
Don't forget that BA only use 747's to/from S Africa!
OPebble is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 2:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Iver
Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Posts: 2,876
Originally Posted by greg999 View Post
Just wanted to report my experiences travelling with an infant in first class in new first. The flight was IAH - LHR on a 777. It worked out very well and was worth doing because of the extra space. Compared to flying in economy (which we did prior to connecting to the transatlantic flight) it was a much easier trip. The baby slept almost the entire flight and didn't disturb the other passengers.

On our IAH - LHR segment the crew wasn't able to find the bassinet so we ended up not being able to use it. On the return they were able to find it and here's what the bassinet looks like. Note that when using the bassinet you're unable to use the video screen.




I'd also highly recommend booking a cabana in the lounge as that way you have privacy and don't have to worry about disturbing others.
Lovely pic of the sleeping junior, hope the pax got a good nights sleep, is there much height once you are lying down, to be able to comfortably turn over in the night, or are you very much aware of a baby lying above!!!
BA5E is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:07 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,300
Originally Posted by paul.goffin View Post
Is this restricted to specific seats on a 777?
4F.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 7:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Posts: 5,129
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
4F.
Does it fold down from somewhere, or is it installed as an add-in?
Teece is offline  
Old Jul 14, 11, 9:05 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,300
A shelf is attached and locked in place and the cot/bassinette is fitted onto the shelf.
Please note the video screen cannot be seen with a cot/bassinette in place.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jul 15, 11, 2:37 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Posts: 334
It is the same arrangement on the 747 - though 5F is the baby bassinet location.

Our daughter was 18 months old - so we would have been better having her lie next to Mum or Dad as the seats are plenty wide enough - the recaro seat option was a little on the small side for someone of that age.

NGBTS.
NotGoingBackToSteerage is offline  
Old Jul 15, 11, 2:56 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,515
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
A shelf is attached and locked in place and the cot/bassinette is fitted onto the shelf.
Please note the video screen cannot be seen with a cot/bassinette in place.
Seems like a massive design flaw
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Jul 15, 11, 3:20 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,300
You can say that but I wouldn't dare.
And yes it's the same for 5F on the 747.
Can I help you is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread