Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prep for First trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Prep for First trip

Hi, just under two weeks before we head off to NY for a weeks holiday, our first time flying first (2+2). We're flying BA115 on the way out and BA174 return.

Questions....

We plan to arrive @T5 with 3 hours to spare, should we book treatments before we arrive, or should this give us enough time without pre booking? And what treatments are available?

Is pre-flight dining available for day flights?

Is it worth checking the Galleries lounge out too?

Other than giving the bar a good sample anything else we should try?

On board do kids get amenity kits?

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
1. Don't forget your passports, ESTA registration and Advance Passenger Information

2. Three hours at T5 ... subtract 30 minutes for check-in and Security, and another 30+ for making your way to whichever gate. You have 2 hours max for shopping [yeuch] and Lounge[s].

3. If you are travelling in F, enjoy what's on offer in the FLounge: that's what you're paying for. The Galleries are for the lower classes, such as BA Silvers flying in J, and should be avoided ... we get The Daily Mail and [RIP] the News of the World in there.

4. Kids in First are not given 'entertainment kits'. They are given narcoleptic injections.

[All the above is due to Verdiccio de Castelli de Jesi, of course]
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Beergander
We plan to arrive @T5 with 3 hours to spare, should we book treatments before we arrive, or should this give us enough time without pre booking? And what treatments are available?
Didn't think one can book them in advance.
You just need to book something as soon as you arrive as it's on a first come first served bases.

Is pre-flight dining available for day flights?Thanks
not pre flight dining service as such no, but you can sit and have a served meal in the CCR definitely.

Is it worth checking the Galleries lounge out
You could yes, check out the GF lounge, some even prefer it.

On board do kids get amenity kits?
Yes, the normal ones nothing special for kids.

If you really do want to experience a treatment, a meal, some lounge hopping etc you'll be surprised how fast 3 hours can actually go by and since it's your first time experiencing all this you might want to consider giving yourself an extra hour or so.

Last edited by clubman; Jul 10, 2011 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
You have plenty of time in T5

Visit the CCR (South security, then turn immediately right through the "magic door"

If you want a treatment - go straight there and book it. You cannot book it I'm advance.

Travelling with kids in F (and in CCR) you may want to book a cabana (depending on their ages and how well behaved they are) to avoid hard stares and tutting from other F pax. Call You First to get it booked.

Also, you may want to have a stroll into GF (carry on past the Spa and keep going straight. If you turn left after entering, then left again into the dining area (refectory?) there a kids zone on the right (with a playstation and a TV).

I don't think kids get adult amenity packs, but they should get "skyflyer" packs (a puzzle / colouring book and comic). This may only happen if they book a kids' meal (my eldest has adult meals and doesn't get them, but my middle son does - youngest is usually happy drinking his milk and sleeping, or playing with a touch screen)

Don't worry too much about it - enjoy your flight.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
If you are travelling in F, enjoy what's on offer in the FLounge: that's what you're paying for. The Galleries are for the lower classes, such as BA Silvers flying in J
Actually: If you are travelling in F, enjoy what's on offer in the CCR: that's what you're paying for. The GalleriesF is for lower classes, such as BA Golds traveling Y and Domestic...
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
Also, you may want to have a stroll into GF (carry on past the Spa and keep going straight. If you turn left after entering, then left again into the dining area (refectory?) there a kids zone on the right (with a playstation and a TV).

I don't think kids get adult amenity packs, but they should get "skyflyer" packs (a puzzle / colouring book and comic). This may only happen if they book a kids' meal (my eldest has adult meals and doesn't get them, but my middle son does - youngest is usually happy drinking his milk and sleeping, or playing with a touch screen)
I agree about using the kidzone in the Flounge there is also one in the B gate Galleries lounge, but no kids facilities in CCR.

My daughter has always been given the adult onboard amenity kit on all her F flights, she is 8 years old now. The "skyflyer" pack in F has sometimes been a bit more elaborate paddington bear box, but sometimes the bog standard blue zipper bag.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Galleries are for the lower classes, such as BA Silvers flying in J, and should be avoided ... we get The Daily Mail and [RIP] the News of the World in there.
And what is wrong with the Daily Mail?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Actually: If you are travelling in F, enjoy what's on offer in the CCR: that's what you're paying for. The GalleriesF is for lower classes, such as BA Golds traveling Y and Domestic...
Ooops ... beyond my pay-scale!! These higher-level distinctions pass me by on the other side, probably muttering "Silver Peasant" or something like that

Okay ... the Concorde Room is for really posh Firsts, whereas Galleries First is for peasants with loads of miles and a Gold card. I think I've got it now

Note to self ... for the sake of an hour or so at LHR or LGW, am I bovvered?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey2124
And what is wrong with the Daily Mail?
Nothing I could initiate legislation about. Good for people with short arms, though.

Check Page 3 ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-board-3.html

Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Page 3 !!

You arent going to get any Page 3 in the DM.

You are cruel.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Kids will be bored on the CCR, it os where the old farts go, they'll enjoy the main hall better, more activity for them. CCR is very subdued for kids, they'll eat there and want to go out.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:03 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
BA have very kindly put up 2 large play horses for the kids to ride on shouting " giddy up Dobbin" at the tops of their voices in the Flounge - I can think of no other possible reason for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.