FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Which option to SFO in club? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1234725-option-sfo-club.html)

janvdr Jul 8, 11 2:45 am

Which option to SFO in club?

I am looking for a flight from BRU in SFO in October with my wife.
Since our purpose is more to enjoy the service in business class than gathering miles, I am a little struggled with which airline to book.

The only real requirement is to have a full flat seat, not angled.

Options:

- cheapest: BA (2290 pp); has a full flat seat and my experience from 5 years ago (last flight with BA in club) was not bad at all in the previous seats. The negative side - miles-wise I have no plans with BA or OneWorld in the future...

- best fit for miles: Swiss (2490 pp) I am a FTL M&M member and flying with LX would secure me for one more year of FTL status and 32000 miles extra. I fly regulary from BRU and star carriers are the obvious choice for me. I recently flew LX new business and although I was happy with the seats; the IFE and the food were not really my thing...

- others:
VS - although same price as BA, I doubt the dated seats can compare with BA/LX
US carriers - I hate to transfer in the US, so prefer to fly direct from EU to SFO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

cornishsimon Jul 8, 11 2:58 am

Originally Posted by janvdr (Post 16690987)
I am looking for a flight from BRU in SFO in October with my wife.
Since our purpose is more to enjoy the service in business class than gathering miles, I am a little struggled with which airline to book.

The only real requirement is to have a full flat seat, not angled.

Options:

- cheapest: BA (2290 pp); has a full flat seat and my experience from 5 years ago (last flight with BA in club) was not bad at all in the previous seats. The negative side - miles-wise I have no plans with BA or OneWorld in the future...

- best fit for miles: Swiss (2490 pp) I am a FTL M&M member and flying with LX would secure me for one more year of FTL status and 32000 miles extra. I fly regulary from BRU and star carriers are the obvious choice for me. I recently flew LX new business and although I was happy with the seats; the IFE and the food were not really my thing...

- others:
VS - although same price as BA, I doubt the dated seats can compare with BA/LX
US carriers - I hate to transfer in the US, so prefer to fly direct from EU to SFO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ummmm....... well as this is the BA forum, what are your plans for the next 12 months ?

your suggested routing BRU-LHR-SFO and return would net you 320 tp's and over 16000 BA miles.

If your based in Euroland another 80 tp's would get you a shiney BA silver card giving you access to the lounges when even on the cheapest tickets.

are you planning any flying while in the US ?

as for the product, i can only comment on BA as havnt flown longhaul with any other airline, but iv never experienced poor flights, and with a long layover you will certainly enjoy the London lounges.

cs

rossmacd Jul 8, 11 3:08 am

If you are FTL already, and this will secure you the next year's membership and a good slug of miles that you can actually put to good use, the Swiss option is a no brainer. I am sure that as a FTL you have likely sampled LX longhaul J. All I can say, IMHO, it knocks the socks off BA's catering.

Looks like an easy decision to me :D

janvdr Jul 8, 11 4:14 am

No further plans with BA/1W the next 12 months... Something might pop up, but it won't be more than Y intra-EU.

No recent experience with BA though, so I was wondering if LX is really worth 200 more pp - service-wise (so not taking into account miles)

littlefish Jul 8, 11 7:50 am

Well for BA you'll likely pay 60 more each way to select a seat (if seat location is important to you).

But at EUR200, the deciding factor for me would boil to flight timings and ease of transfer. If its a 50:50 I'd go LX as its what you know. If timings are in BA's favour then that routing makes sense .

Sixth Freedom Jul 8, 11 9:52 am

To be honest I would also go with LX. Decent C product apparently and you will be getting the miles.

taff_2003 Jul 8, 11 12:33 pm

I've flown with both BA and LX in C in the last 6 months. I found service by LX's cabin crew to be far superior to BA's.

I don't think there's much in the hard product, although LX's seat in the bed position does feel more coffin-like than BA's. That said, as someone who's 6ft 2ins, I found it easier to stretch out in LX's seat. The other plus for LX is that if you travel on the A340 (which I think SFO is) there's a small C cabin just behind F with only 10 seats. You get to turn left when you board on a C ticket! :)

Swanhunter Jul 8, 11 12:37 pm

Assuming you can get the new LX seats I'd opt for them. Better hard product, better good, better drink, cleaner planes, better crew, easier connection in ZRH. BA's lounges are better OTOH.

Do take a look at BD's Diamond Club.

stifle Jul 9, 11 1:49 pm

Fly LX, but sign up with Aegean Airlines and dump Miles & Less. The 25360 miles will give you *Gold membership (equivalent to Senator) and therewith lounge access across Star Alliance for 2-3 years.

2old4coach Jul 9, 11 2:15 pm

We did 20+ Ba segments last year and I enjoy BA, however that said having to pay for seat selection for an already expensive ticket causes me pause.
LX flies a 340 to SFO. It has old First class seating but a nice new Business class product on most of the 340's. For 200 more pounds I would fly LX and stay with your FFP.
As for VS In many ways I prefer their business class to BA's. IN VS business class you are their best customer, On BA you come behind first class... does that make sense? perhaps not,for most people, but I always feel also ran when I do not fly in the top cabin. (insecurity I guess).

HOWEVER I would fly LX to SFO in C if I could have a new flat seat.

2old4coach Jul 9, 11 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by 2old4coach (Post 16699205)
We did 20+ Ba segments last year and I enjoy BA, however that said having to pay for seat selection for an already expensive ticket causes me pause.
LX flies a 340 to SFO. It has old First class seating but a nice new Business class product on most of the 340's. For 200 more pounds I would fly LX and stay with your FFP.
As for VS In many ways I prefer their business class to BA's. IN VS business class you are their best customer, On BA you come behind first class... does that make sense? perhaps not,for most people, but I always feel also ran when I do not fly in the top cabin. (insecurity I guess).

HOWEVER I would fly LX to SFO in C if I could have a new flat seat.

According to the LX website all LX flights to SFO have the new business: https://www.swiss.com/web/EN/service...vel_e.pdfclass.
GO FOR it! save yourself the hassle of transiting LHR