ORLYVile!! MY turn to rant!

Old Jul 5, 11, 8:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
ORLYVile!! MY turn to rant!

I am not working today. I have poured myself a good stiff Bombay & Slim and have a lovely whinge about my return from Orly yesterday afternoon..

It is the start of July and it would seem that France is off en vacances. As I could not print the BPs (just as well as matters turned out) we went to check in - admittedly at the CE desk. Handling is by Iberia and that should have warned me - although the young lady on the desk could not have been more pleasant.

The lounge is a good way off but they had big bottles of Pommery in the chiller as you come through the door and it was quite delicious.

We went down to departures early before the departure was announced (they announced IBs flights so I am making an assumption here but maybe they do not?). The queue to get through passports and into security beggared belief. The problem was that the whole of Hall 3 funnels down to four desks for passport control. One was manned for EU, one was manned for the rest, one was crew and corps diplomaitiques only and the last one was closed. We inched along for ever. Where were the IB ground staff - well there was one woman strutting up and down with a radio, gingerish hair, and a face that would turn cream to yogurt. She did nothing - she did not look for any BA passengers. Orly Ouest has several flights leaving for the French Carribean and other T.O.M.s

There was actually a line for EU which bypassed a lot of the queue. We took a risk and left our place in the queue and got far further forward. This was fortunate as we would have missed the flight, of that I am certain. We finall got through to be confronted with a last call. I told the ground lady (Madame among them) that there may well be people stranded in the queue. Madame's attitude was that this was quite normal. She said exactly that. My Best Friend jsut said come on - let's warn the crew. This we did. People did arrive much later than this.

I know that when you mix Parisian attitude with Iberias idea of customer service and you have a volatile cocktail. I did not think that BA's customer handling out of Paris could be worse. Silly Me! Be warned!

The flight? I could tell you about the crew member who really made me embarassed to work for the same company - I could tell you that they were rationing ice as they had so little of it - but I'd far sooner say that the Purser was a Sweetie and that one of the boys at the back was simply a gem and also that I drank Blue Top and you donot need ice in that! The Purser had seen the fiasco himself when they went thorough and they knew that there was a problem Whether this is normal as Madame said or whether it was just particularly bad yesterday I cannot tell. I normally come back later - but this was not a day trip (the sales are on BTW)

and they call me an apologist!
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Poor Pucci. I did have to read certain sections of that piece just a little bit slower to confirm that, indeed, this wasn't some little runway-and-a-hut out-station but a fairly major hub.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I know that when you mix Parisian attitude with Iberias idea of customer service and you have a volatile cocktail.
What omens for the future, one wonders...?
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is an AF flight that goes to Reunion every day and it is a 747-400 and it is packed with holidaymakers.
If you were departing the same time as that then I can only imaging carnage would result!
AF in CDG are just the same - you can sweat away with blood, tears and anguish at CDG but if you get caught out and miss your flight then that is tough! And heaven help if you are connecting in CDG - better go the day before to ensure you will make your flight!
FD.
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I have to say the Ground staff at CDG were excellent when I made my little iPhone app faux pas a few weeks ago.

Sounds like I made the right decision not to go to ORY after all!
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:43 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
There is an AF flight that goes to Reunion every day and it is a 747-400 and it is packed with holidaymakers.
If you were departing the same time as that then I can only imaging carnage would result!
AF in CDG are just the same - you can sweat away with blood, tears and anguish at CDG but if you get caught out and miss your flight then that is tough! And heaven help if you are connecting in CDG - better go the day before to ensure you will make your flight!
FD.
I have caught this flight once when plans went awry on a trip to MRU.

As you say ORY was packed. Hideous airport. Disgusting aircraft. Rude crew. I barely even want to think about that flight it was so bad.

Hope les soldes were successful Pucci.
Old Jul 5, 11, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
I have caught this flight once when plans went awry on a trip to MRU.

As you say ORY was packed. Hideous airport. Disgusting aircraft. Rude crew. I barely even want to think about that flight it was so bad.

Hope les soldes were successful Pucci.
They were Darling and I spent too much money. The aircraft was clean - the crew were very much curate's egg.

My beef was the useless Iberia groundstaff - their flights go from Hall 1 as they are Schengen so they could care less.
Old Jul 5, 11, 5:36 pm
Ambassador

Sorry - I meant the AF flight from ORY to Reunion was generally hideous.

I'm sure once out of the clutches of Iberia and ORY BA was lovely.
Old Jul 5, 11, 5:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I really don't like ORY. I haven't had problems with IB staff when I was there, twice so far (both for BA flights), but I do recall the long passport queue for non-EU passengers due to a few non-EU flights departing at the same time as the BA flight.

I find ORY generally quite a disorganised mess and it leaves a lot to be desired.

I flew back from CDG this weekend (only to leave again at the crack of dawn the next day, literally) and was spared the ORY chaos. It's not to say that CDG is any good but at least it is not as chaotic.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why people seem to favour CDG compared to ORY. CDG flights seem to be almost always more expensive than ORY and the load seems higher to/from CDG.

P.S. I was not very successful in the sale, so I am going to try harder in London.
Old Jul 5, 11, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.546 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I am not working today. I have poured myself a good stiff Bombay & Slim and have a lovely whinge about my return from Orly yesterday afternoon..

It is the start of July and it would seem that France is off en vacances. As I could not print the BPs (just as well as matters turned out) we went to check in - admittedly at the CE desk. Handling is by Iberia and that should have warned me - although the young lady on the desk could not have been more pleasant.

The lounge is a good way off but they had big bottles of Pommery in the chiller as you come through the door and it was quite delicious.

We went down to departures early before the departure was announced (they announced IBs flights so I am making an assumption here but maybe they do not?). The queue to get through passports and into security beggared belief. The problem was that the whole of Hall 3 funnels down to four desks for passport control. One was manned for EU, one was manned for the rest, one was crew and corps diplomaitiques only and the last one was closed. We inched along for ever. Where were the IB ground staff - well there was one woman strutting up and down with a radio, gingerish hair, and a face that would turn cream to yogurt. She did nothing - she did not look for any BA passengers. Orly Ouest has several flights leaving for the French Carribean and other T.O.M.s

There was actually a line for EU which bypassed a lot of the queue. We took a risk and left our place in the queue and got far further forward. This was fortunate as we would have missed the flight, of that I am certain. We finall got through to be confronted with a last call. I told the ground lady (Madame among them) that there may well be people stranded in the queue. Madame's attitude was that this was quite normal. She said exactly that. My Best Friend jsut said come on - let's warn the crew. This we did. People did arrive much later than this.

I know that when you mix Parisian attitude with Iberias idea of customer service and you have a volatile cocktail. I did not think that BA's customer handling out of Paris could be worse. Silly Me! Be warned!

The flight? I could tell you about the crew member who really made me embarassed to work for the same company - I could tell you that they were rationing ice as they had so little of it - but I'd far sooner say that the Purser was a Sweetie and that one of the boys at the back was simply a gem and also that I drank Blue Top and you donot need ice in that! The Purser had seen the fiasco himself when they went thorough and they knew that there was a problem Whether this is normal as Madame said or whether it was just particularly bad yesterday I cannot tell. I normally come back later - but this was not a day trip (the sales are on BTW)

and they call me an apologist!
Don't knock it too much - I struck it 13th time lucky this week and actually had a flight that was vaguely on schedule for the first time in 6 weeks.
The situation departiny Orly does seem to be made worse that the security scanner beeps if you breathe in the vicinity and security is always seriously undermanned - the three passport queues invariably merging to one only for security. There also seems to be a tendency for flights on this route to be rammed with coach tours - don't even get me started on the fact that most of said tourists seem to board with a minimum of 5 pieces of hand baggage...
Still, you could have had it worse - I had a 5 hour wait airside the other week there for a delayed flight - not much fun!

I was overjoyed when this route kicked off as Orly is only 15 minutes from my office, but I am seriously tempted to start giving the business back to Eurostar for the weekly commute.

Rant over, Ahh that feels better!
Old Jul 5, 11, 6:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mcinverness View Post

I was overjoyed when this route kicked off as Orly is only 15 minutes from my office, but I am seriously tempted to start giving the business back to Eurostar for the weekly commute.
I had a bad run with Eurostar.
In the last 7 months:
Trip 1: 4 hour delay and involuntary downgrade (admittedly due to snow)
Trip 2: 30 min delay, I cannot remember the cause.
Trip 3: 70 min delay, I cannot remember the cause.
Trip 4: 20 min delay, something to do with the tunnel.
Trip 5: 30 min delay, late inbound train.

So, none has been on time so far. If it weren't for the fact that it's much harder and further for me to reach LHR than St Pancras International, I would have flown on BA more. However, Eurostar's delay compensation policy is better, and so is the involuntary downgrade policy.
Old Jul 6, 11, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcinverness View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.546 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Don't knock it too much - I struck it 13th time lucky this week and actually had a flight that was vaguely on schedule for the first time in 6 weeks.

Rant over, Ahh that feels better!
No, the flight was on time - actually even a bit early and that surprised me with all the slots - but the fact remains that the timing is dreadful with all those DOM/TOM flights. Security was tight but not excessively so. The A321 was full in all classes so the route is successful it would appear.

The fact remains that there was insufficient presence on the passport desk and the Ground Agents were indifferent. No, I am going to complain to BA myself as this needs to be addressed.
Old Jul 6, 11, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
No, the flight was on time - actually even a bit early and that surprised me with all the slots - but the fact remains that the timing is dreadful with all those DOM/TOM flights. Security was tight but not excessively so. The A321 was full in all classes so the route is successful it would appear.

The fact remains that there was insufficient presence on the passport desk and the Ground Agents were indifferent. No, I am going to complain to BA myself as this needs to be addressed.
We were on the Orly to LHR flight in CE on Monday afternoon (15:30). Was this the flight you were on Ms Galore? We were in 3AC and 3DF.

We experienced the same hold ups at passport control and security and also used the EU lane which appeared empty... unfortunately for us we got an earful from some French passengers for using that queue but we explained that the check in staff had told us to use the EU line (which was quiet).

Flight should have departed early but was held up slightly but it did arrive early!
Old Jul 6, 11, 3:28 am

The big question is which approach to les soldes did PUCCI follow (the example of GAP is purely illustrative, I know PUCCI would never contemplate shopping there):

Old Jul 6, 11, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes it is the holiday season. I was at LYS last week and the non-schengen checkpoint was worse. It was fully staffed, but with so many flights to Maghreb and Turkey, the lines were horrific. It's just the poor luck for BA (and EI) that they share the non-schengen area with the rest of the world. Fortunately I had my VIP card which entitles me to the employee door.

Now Pucci, do I need to take a hair-brush to you? You are very well aware of how things work here and what it's like during holiday times. How could you be surprised about this? I would expect this sort of rant from an American.
Old Jul 6, 11, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
I also had a problem departing from ORY last March.

On checking-in I was informed that the flight was running some 30 mins late and that I had plenty of time to visit the IB lounge. The lounge, as we now know, is located land-side and at the other end of the terminal building.

In the lounge I noted that they made announcements for the IB flights. Unfortunately for me, the first I knew of the BA departure (which was not late) was when the lounge dragon came over to ask, very abruptly, if I was on the BA flight as it was about to close.

Grabbing my bags I ran the length of the terminal to be greeted by the same passport control/security mess that PUCCI encountered. The IB check-in agent was motioning me to move quickly as I was the last to board. However he never gave me any help or advice on how to navigate this queue and left me to slowly make my way through the controls to the boarding area.

What really got to me was that the check-in agent, who was the one who told me that the flight was running late, was the same person at the gate who then berated me for being late.

Search this Thread