Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MFU in and out of different zones / Caribbean transfers.

Old Jul 3, 11, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.

My wife and I are going to Toronto for our 10th wedding anniversary late November - hoping to MFU from WT+ in the current sale. We spent our honeymoon in the Royal York and hope to do the same 10 years after the event.

We then plan on going on a cruise out of San Juan on Princess for some sunshine.

1 - We would ideally like to fly home from San Juan - but zero availability for a MFU in December. Can you MFU flights coming into one zone and leaving from another?

2 - If the answer to question 1 is yes - anyone had experience flying between Caribbean islands? St Lucia seems to have good availability. If we arrange to fly out of St Lucia the day after the cruise - would that leave enough time? The other option is fly back to main land US to the likes of New York, Atlanta, etc which have more availability than you could shake a stick at (OT - what does that mean!!) or just slum it in WT+ from San Juan (not convinced the current mrs blawson will agree!!)

3 - Can you do this online - or is it a phone call job.

We will probably not fly direct to San Juan from Toronto - but go to Naples or Ft Lauderdale 1st for 3-4 days - really enjoy Naples. Will worry about that step later ;-)
Old Jul 3, 11, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I think it needs to be done over the phone thats if it is possible as i dont think you can do open jaw tickets all that easily via ba.com

sounds like your in an ideal position to try and do a bit of a tp run while your over there and bump up your status!!

something to keep in mind however, the Canada flights depart LHR and the Caribbean islands return into LGW, so depending on how your getting to LHR for your outbound it could land you with a few difficulties

cs
Old Jul 3, 11, 12:01 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA Silver (slowly soft-landing to Blue), FB Silver
[QUOTE=blawson;16664998]
[....]

1 - We would ideally like to fly home from San Juan - but zero availability for a MFU in December. Can you MFU flights coming into one zone and leaving from another?

[....]

Ah, my pet BAEC peeve -- unfortunately, the answer is NO. Quoting from the T&C:

13.15. Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Travel itineraries for Award bookings may start and end at different airports within the same country, or in different countries, provided the two airports are in the same zone. Outbound journeys may terminate at a different airport to the airport where the return journey starts provided the two airports are within the same zone. The different zones are listed in the redemption mileage calculator table on ba.com.

This has always struck me as unreasonable and arbitrary, and I've never ever managed to get any BA-related person to give me a justification for it. But there you are.........

Search this Thread