Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Incident at EDI??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BenSenise
If this ever happens to me I am going to call 911 (or the equialent where I am) and tell them that I am being held hostage, which technically is true; I'm not being allowed to leave.
The airline has no right to hold you somewhere without telling you how long it will be and giving you the choice of leaving. I know this has happened in recent past with people having landed in NY being held for 12 hours after flying from Asia. I can't believe people didn't revolt and do what that FA did a while back; grab a couple of beers and pop the chute! I certainly would have.

I suspect if you were to call 911 you would be held hostage - by those you've called to help you.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just because you assert this, it doesn't mean that it's true.
Quite. I can see there being issues around this on an international flight. But not on this one.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Once the doors are closed, I believe you are under the jurisdiction of the captain, but I'm more than happy to be corrected!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
If this ever happens to me I am going to call 911 (or the equialent where I am) and tell them that I am being held hostage, which technically is true; I'm not being allowed to leave.
The airline has no right to hold you somewhere without telling you how long it will be and giving you the choice of leaving. I know this has happened in recent past with people having landed in NY being held for 12 hours after flying from Asia. I can't believe people didn't revolt and do what that FA did a while back; grab a couple of beers and pop the chute! I certainly would have.
Would have been interesting call the police when it appears that they were already at the aircraft and might have been the ones who prevented the aircraft from leaving. If it was security related as it appears, then there isn't much the crew can say in such situations.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Be very very careful where you pull that trick! You could end up in a very unpleasant jail for interfering with police in the course of their duty. Also you will not be allowed to call a lawyer etc etc.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Red Arrows were at the Armed Forces Day in Leith, Edinburgh.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People do get stuck on a plane for many hours. The last two incidents were Virgin planes in both the UK and USA.

I dont think offically you would be allowed to use a mobile phone to contact the Police in order to get their attention. The aircraft would still be under flight rules and such items should be turned off.

Although when the Virgin was stuck at one of the London airports the Pilots and crew were waving at the helicopter filming them being stuck. So they must have had some contact with the outside world.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by OPebble
Be very very careful where you pull that trick! You could end up in a very unpleasant jail for interfering with police in the course of their duty. Also you will not be allowed to call a lawyer etc etc.
Or even interfering with the captain's instructions (presumably copilot if pilot had left...). If you were still at the gate with the door open and crew refused to let you off you'd be on stronger ground (relatively, not necessarily on an absolute basis). The leeway for the aircraft commander is pretty broad:

Authority of commander of aircraft
59. Every person in an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom shall obey all lawful commands which the commander of that aircraft may give for the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried therein, or the safety, efficiency or regularity of air navigation.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13917962
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by stu1985
very interesting !

cs
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:02 pm

Odd.

I can't imagine it is very easy to just throw an object onto the tarmac from a plane.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Liba
Odd.

I can't imagine it is very easy to just throw an object onto the tarmac from a plane.
Actually very easy - the cockpit windows open. One either side. Have often seen it at outstations when it is very hot and the FC obviously want some fresh air.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ments-off.html

Just in case someone wants to read the Daily Mail comments.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stu1985
... thrown from a plane on to the runway ...
Oh, FFS. Even the police are no longer able to speak the language.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:18 am

And for those interested, here's the thread at another pplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.