No upgrade available in MMB

Old Jun 24, 11, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
No upgrade available in MMB

Booked flights yesterday to GRU and back from EZE in July/August, went in to MMB this morning to pre-reserve the seats as I do normally, and thought I would look for any upgrade opportunities in MMB. I am flying E ticket class to GRU and returning from EZE on an N. Are either the ticket classes or the open jaw a reason why there is no upgrade, or could it just be the flight is full, I think the agent said there were only 3 Y tickets left on the way to GRU.

Or does the upgrade appear at some pre-determined point after the sale of the ticket?

As I have got the company to pay for 105 tier points already, thought a couple hundred quid to get to another 65+ might be worth a go.
Old Jun 24, 11, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
An open jaw severely restricts what you can do with your booking online. You won't see any upgrade options, either with miles or cash. Any changes you wish to make you will have to do by calling up BA or BAEC.
Old Jun 24, 11, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Open Jaw means you won't be able to MFU on-line. What you can do is check availability and then 'phone BAEC? Its a pain but its a well-known draw-back to Open Jaws, especially in WT+ and the darned phone fee then wipes out much of the value (typically for me as I book for two or three of us on the same booking).
However, you should be able to select and pay for your seat each way via MMB. If not then it may be the system has not fully processed your (over the phone?) booking yet; sometimes it can be >24hr wait.
If you pay for a seat and then do get an MFU, you forfeit the seat fee paid (unless you chase your losses by paying for a CW seat!!)..
Old Jun 24, 11, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Open Jaw means you won't be able to MFU on-line. What you can do is check availability and then 'phone BAEC? Its a pain but its a well-known draw-back to Open Jaws, especially in WT+ and the darned phone fee then wipes out much of the value (typically for me as I book for two or three of us on the same booking).
However, you should be able to select and pay for your seat each way via MMB. If not then it may be the system has not fully processed your (over the phone?) booking yet; sometimes it can be >24hr wait.
If you pay for a seat and then do get an MFU, you forfeit the seat fee paid (unless you chase your losses by paying for a CW seat!!)..
Was able to pre-book a seat no problem, was just hoping to bag me some more tier points relatively easily. Might give them a call see what the options are, although I suppose to MFU either even if availability allowed I would have to pay to upgrade the ticket to the correct class.

It's not the end of the world, not too worried about upgrading to CW on the outbound (I wouldn't refuse it though ), but would be nice to get to WT+ at least on the 13hr+ trip back from EZE, or even CW!!
Old Jun 24, 11, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
ISTR that an E class ticket is not upgradeable, at least not with miles. Is it part of a holiday booking, ie. one including hotels, etc. Think they drop into E class.

You may be able to upgrade at the airport though, providing space is available.

You can only MFU Economy tickets which are booked in Y, B or H class.
Old Jun 25, 11, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
OP is booked into WT+ going one way.

I suspect it's the open jaw, plus the mixed class. Once you start adding complexity to your booking (which apparently includes flying to the regions ), MMB basically gives up.
Old Jun 25, 11, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
ISTR that an E class ticket is not upgradeable, at least not with miles. Is it part of a holiday booking, ie. one including hotels, etc. Think they drop into E class.
E class is upgradeable with miles, as all WT+ booking classes can be MFUd.

However, it's obviously subject to all of the other MFU constraints, eg has to be booked with BA not a travel agent etc. And, perhaps most important, there has to be award availability in the cabin to which the passengers would like to upgrade.
Old Jun 25, 11, 8:43 am

I have found it very hard to upgrade my flights... would love to upgrade from CW to first but booking was made with AA so no can do. Also, it's really frustrating that you have to have certain booking class to upgrade. Not to mention the ridiculous availability in many routes. Starting to think about moving to *A due to these issues. Or anyone have better OW frequent flyer program if based in Finland?

Search this Thread