Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Value of Club Europe

Hello! Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.
Any advice on weather £160 one way over a Y fare is good value/worth it for an upgrade to Club Europe on an IST-LHR flight?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Well, it's a long flight and in CE you'll have a moderately more comfortable seat at the front. You'll get a proper meal, though on here people's view of the quality of that varies quite a bit. If you don't have status, you'll get the addition of lounge access before boarding. You'll also get an extra 40 TPs on that route over Y if you're collecting them.

In the end, whether this is worth having for the price depends on you and your circumstances. Enioy the trip whatever!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For that route I'd pay, but only if

* The flight overlapped a meal time and I couldn't eat on the way to the airport
* Exit rows are part of the CE cabin rather than ET and available to be assigned (assuming an A320 flight)
* The extra TP's would be of use
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: EBG
IMO, yes. I recently travelled OSL-LHR-SAN and whereas the longhaul was OK, as it should be, I was positively suprised by the service and food (???) on OSL-LHR compared to intraeurope flights in C with LH and SK. Besides, you have a much longer flight.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
For that route I'd pay, but only if

* The flight overlapped a meal time and I couldn't eat on the way to the airport
* Exit rows are part of the CE cabin rather than ET and available to be assigned (assuming an A320 flight)
* The extra TP's would be of use
+1

It is finely balanced - the flight will either be A320 or B767. On the Airbus you at least gain some personal space in CE. CE seating on the 767 is a pretty marginal improvement over economy except maybe in the D and F seats. Swanhunter's criteria are bang on I reckon.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
To be honest, as we have no idea how much value you place on £160, its impossible to say. I would do it, but I just paid £1,200 for 3 CE tix to Hamburg. However, Y was £800 so it makes more sense. But then EasyJet would have been £600. All relative. However, you clearly do not get £160 of value, in the same way that an Armani shirt does not offer value versus a Primark one.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Thanks for your thoughts. I know 'is it worth it' questions can be a bit like 'how long is a piece of string', but I do find it useful to get other peoples opinions :-)

Jake
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well I wouldn't pay it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Worth it for me. Just for the guarantee of an empty seat next to me, meaning no fighting for arm rest or shoulder space for four hours.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well I wouldn't pay it.
Speaks the tightfisted Scotsman
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
.....with the Mr Average height and weight measurements.....

Plus, as I always travel with the wife it would cost double that amount.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Worth it for me. Just for the guarantee of an empty seat next to me, meaning no fighting for arm rest or shoulder space for four hours.
No such guarantee if it's a 767.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:49 pm
Ambassador

If it's an A320 then I would just so I didn't have someone next to me for that length of time. For a 767 then I'm not so sure (unless you need the TPs) because I would want to be in a window seat anyway and there isn't much extra room in that case.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
£160 for lounge access and a meal on the flight and some legroom?

ask yourself is it worth it?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (and dropping what happened to those days when I was back and forth to Aus/NZ?)
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I take it Betteronacamel and Hiddy are on good terms for such banter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.