Count down to, err, You First

Old Jun 21, 11, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Count down to, err, You First

Had to wait over four minutes for the "You First" phone to be answered, just now. It used to be literally instant - you never even heard a ringtone, just a 9real, live) voice. When did this enhancement happen?
Old Jun 21, 11, 1:58 pm

I had a few minutes wait during the last snow chaos around Christmas. That's it. Otherwise as you say it has been more or less instant.
Old Jun 21, 11, 2:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've had to wait 34 minutes for YouFirst once.

Usually 2-3 minutes tops, often 2-3 seconds.
Old Jun 21, 11, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
I've had to wait 34 minutes for YouFirst once.

Usually 2-3 minutes tops, often 2-3 seconds.
My worst time was 2 minutes, usually they reply instantly.
Old Jun 21, 11, 3:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

In fairness, that was at the height of the snow disruption.

Having said that, they could have apologised for the wait time.
Old Jun 21, 11, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Never had to wait....never had the need to call them.
Old Jun 21, 11, 7:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Silver
Perhaps a general problem - I was on hold for the normal Gold line for over 30 minutes earlier today and finally gave up.
Old Jun 22, 11, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ag51 View Post
Perhaps a general problem - I was on hold for the normal Gold line for over 30 minutes earlier today and finally gave up.
That's quite telling. I didn't know that would be the case though. My understanding was the You First is a different and more skilled team than the normal Customer Services Team (I think it is the same as the GGL team) and they can handle more complicated queries, for example without referring a ticket change to the black hole of the "Fares Department". I had a relatively complicated request so was prepared to wait even if the Silver Line had been quicker (it involved removing an about to expire Amex-2-for-1 from an upcoming booking, replacing it with one with a longer validity, moving the dates and changing the routing, all while dodging the Mileage Redeposit and Telephone Change fee!).

Anyway, my understanding (which may be wrong) was that non-EC/Blue/Silver/Gold calls all go to the same team, but with different prioritizaiton, so if there's a long wait for Gold there would be a very long wait for Silver, but You First/GGL is a different team and it might just be they that were busy or understaffed. Cleary not, although I can't see why yesterday should have been a particularly tricky day. It's been a while since I called YF (I think in relation to some missing baggage exactly a year ago) but in the past it's always been no more than a few seconds, with, I think, one exception.
Old Jun 22, 11, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Having said that, they could have apologised for the wait time.
I'm guessing they don't know. It would be a useful addition to telephone call centre systems, but I'd be surprised if wait time is something the agent automatically sees.
Old Jun 22, 11, 7:56 am
uk1
Suspended

I don't need to call them ... but I'm going to call them now.

I think it's outrageous that people that don't need to talk to them should have to wait so long in order not to say anything. Any delay when you have nothing to say is deeply frustrating. I normally have to make a note of what I'm not going to say in case I forget. But now - as a result of these delays - I've decided not to make a note. They'll then have to be patient whilst I try and remember what I wasn't going to say. That will teach them.^
Old Jun 22, 11, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
Anyway, my understanding (which may be wrong) was that non-EC/Blue/Silver/Gold calls all go to the same team, but with different prioritizaiton, so if there's a long wait for Gold there would be a very long wait for Silver, but You First/GGL is a different team and it might just be they that were busy or understaffed.
I don't know for sure how the centre is configured, but I've got 2 data points on the Gold line:
- Firstly, I've once been transferred from the "general" line to someone "on the Gold line"
- Secondly, I once called the Gold line to book a reward flight I couldn't online. The person who was helping me had his emails branded as being a "Prestige Sales Consultant" from "British Airways Holidays" in Newcastle. Seemed a bit odd at the time
Old Jun 22, 11, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I don't know for sure how the centre is configured, but I've got 2 data points on the Gold line:..
I got one such data point on the YouFirst line yesterday. The lady to whom I spoke said to me at the end of our conversation, rather snootily, when confirming that there wasn't a charge for the telephone change, "Oh I see. You're not Gold. I normally only speak to Gold members, so I'm not sure if I can waive it for you." [I'm sure that sort of comment would make the day of half the people on this board ]

To her credit, she was very capable and efficient at quite a complex change. And she did manage to waive the offline change charge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: