Wiki Posts
Search

Retired captains on BA flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Gold, Priority Club Gold
Retired captains on BA flights

Last week during a flight from IST to LHR, I was fortunate enough to receive my first upgrade to CE and sitting in 2D on the A320, was curous about something that occured during boarding.

I heard on of the FC talking about a retired captain, and subsequently allowing said retiree and his wife on board at the say so of the captain in charge of the flight. As the flight was completely full, the FC was going to seat them both together on jump seats at the rear, however some of the other FC were clearly not happy about this (citing difficulties moving the trolleys of hot food around them) so the couple were split with one sitting on a jump seat at the rear and one on a jump seat at the front of the cabin (those seats don't loook terribly comfy for a ~4hour flight).

Anyway, I was curious if anyone knows what kind of benefits a retired captain could expect on BA flights.. I am guessing that the couple must have had some kind of boarding pass to get through security etc but perhaps only standby?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:26 pm

Perhaps you could start by outlining the full benefits you get in your company and then how these alter once you retire? Fair is Fair.

The operating captain is who decides if any jump seats are to be used. It is captain and captain only who decides.

You should try a fold down jump seat for 14 hours!!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by redsox1918
Perhaps you could start by outlining the full benefits you get in your company and then how these alter once you retire? Fair is Fair.

The operating captain is who decides if any jump seats are to be used. It is captain and captain only who decides.

This seems a stunning overreaction to the OP. My impression was they are simply curious and if anything empathic about the plight of sitting in the jump seat.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:26 pm

It's not uncommon for non-rev passengers to take available jump seats as far as I'm aware, however, I thought there were legal restrictions on who is allowed to sit in them as they are close to the emergency exits and also have different seat belts which might be a hindrance in an evacuation. I suppose this isn't a problem for the retired captain as he would certainly be used to them but if his wife had never worked for an airline, I doubt she would be eligible.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Gold, Priority Club Gold

Perhaps I should have phrased my post differently, I wasn't asking for a detailed list of staff benefits, I was just genuinely curious asto whether there exists, some kind of unofficial perk/agreement between flight deck crew past and present as it's not something I've seen (or at least noticed) before and seemed a little unusual to me for someone other than the FC to be seated in the jump seats, particularly for the whole flight.

(As to my benefits, I'm self employed so it would be a small or non-existent list of benefits )
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Are the jump seats the seats where crew sit for take-off and landing? If they are used for any other passenger, where do the crew sit?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:50 pm
MzG

I'm not BA crew, but do work for an airline, and I assume staff travel is similar.

Jump seats are often used, but there are rules to follow. Only "non-required" jump seats, ie those that crew with a door responsility don't use, can be used for staff travel purposes. There is a minimum age, and anyone using the seats must be instructed on the use of the belt, how to operate a door (if it is a seat by a door) and various other things. No alcohol.

At "my airline", at retirement and with a certain amount of years service, there is a very reduced staff travel benefit.

It is indeed the Captain who has the final say, but certainly our FSM has input. There are very specific jumpseats which can be used, and a limited number on each flight.

I don't use staff travel, the thought of not knowing if I'm going on holiday, or being sat on a jump seat for X hours, doesn't appeal.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:55 pm

Just adding to the above: The retired Captain and his wife would've had a boarding card and gone through security as per normal regulations.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
IST isn't that far away!!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:09 am
Suspended

Same.. Not BA, different airline,

Standby staff are allowed cockpit or cabin jump seats if required on Captains approval. The retired BA Capt likely had Standby J class ticket, but was able to sit anywhere there was a seat if the situation warranted and the operating crew approved.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:24 am

I prefer a jump seat over a Y seat any day of the week. 14 hours or so went by quickly and it is one of those trade offs against the nicer flights.

I believe and some correct me if I am wrong that since the strike last year for BA it is the captain and only the captain who decides if jump seats will be used and who if anyone may use them. Other members of the operating crew have no choice. This was linked to BASSA idiots.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:11 am

Redsox, I will correct you. It always has been the Captain who makes the decision in regards to using jumpseats. The CC are usually consulted, but ultimately, it's the Captain's perogative. The only time the CC has a deciding say in the matter, is the use of CC rest seats on LH aircraft. We have the right to refuse these being used by staff pax.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:14 am

As I said I am no expert.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:27 am

As I said I am no expert.
Just as well I'm here then
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Retiree Benefits

Having had the benefit of a friends staff travel at another long haul airline, I was wowed to see that retirees get an acknowledgement for their years of service to the airline.

There did seem to be some sort of sliding scale - the longer it had been since you left, the lower down the priority and upgrade lists you went. Of course, the higher/more important you were the at the time you left, the better your starting position would be.

I've yet to work for a company that offers its retiring staff any benefits!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.