Why is my flight delayed?!

Old Jun 18, 11, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Why is my flight delayed?!

I'm in Basel just got back from 'dinner and a few drinks' and am booked on the 08:30 LHR flight. I see it's already showing a 09:20ETD. The aircraft& crew are already on the ground. Does anyone know why a delay is posted so far in advance? Tempted to have a a lie in as I'm hand lug only and they must be prettz confidence of a delay to broadcast it already.

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
I'm in Basel just got back from 'dinner and a few drinks' and am booked on the 08:30 LHR flight. I see it's already showing a 09:20ETD. The aircraft& crew are already on the ground. Does anyone know why a delay is posted so far in advance? Tempted to have a a lie in as I'm hand lug only and they must be prettz confidence of a delay to broadcast it already.

Thanks.

Unless it changes again to an on time departure while your having a lie in !

To be on the safe side i would get to the airport at the normal time, as i expect they will close the flight on time even if it is delayed.

Happy flightings
cs
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
To be on the safe side i would get to the airport at the normal time, as i expect they will close the flight on time even if it is delayed.

Happy flightings
cs
Yes that is my suggestion too, many times on my iphone saw a delay but as the time was reaching close to take off the delay was eliminating. So, be at the airport on time.

I can't answer your question though.
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Don't worry, I'll be at the airport at 07:45. Got the BP so just a case of clearing security. Bsl on a Sunday morning is normally calm!

I can only think the delay is to do with minimum rest.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 18, 11, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB

Thanks.
I'd never have guessed.

I can only think the delay is to do with minimum rest.
I think you're right. According to Flighstats the last flight from LHR landed 1hr7m late.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jun 18, 11 at 9:33 pm Reason: Extra info
Old Jun 19, 11, 4:25 am

There were lots of weather delays causing fleet and crew rotation issues at lhr yesterday. The arrivals glow rate was down to 38 at one point. It is likely your crew arrived in with less time than was needed to maintain minimum rest. Some operational delays can be ironed out near the time of departure, but if it's crew rest we can confidently publish the new time. Even if it seems a little far ahead to know that.
Old Jun 19, 11, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by adrianjc32 View Post
There were lots of weather delays causing fleet and crew rotation issues at lhr yesterday. The arrivals glow rate was down to 38 at one point. It is likely your crew arrived in with less time than was needed to maintain minimum rest. Some operational delays can be ironed out near the time of departure, but if it's crew rest we can confidently publish the new time. Even if it seems a little far ahead to know that.
Had they been drinking to make them glow
Old Jun 19, 11, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
Had they been drinking to make them glow
No, it was the LHR extra-stack-pattern, routed over Fukushima that caused the glow
Old Jun 19, 11, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I think there is a problem with the iPhone app - I've had the app display the flight as delayed when it's not. For example, sitting in the Flounge at T5, the FIDs said 'boarding', but my iPhone said 'delayed'. The aircraft was boarding when I arrived at the gate and we pushed back on time... This has happened to me more than once.
Old Jun 19, 11, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
I think there is a problem with the iPhone app - I've had the app display the flight as delayed when it's not. For example, sitting in the Flounge at T5, the FIDs said 'boarding', but my iPhone said 'delayed'. The aircraft was boarding when I arrived at the gate and we pushed back on time... This has happened to me more than once.
Assuming the FIDs is the screen in the lounge I have experienced the same problem. I even checked with Guest Services who couldn't see any sign of a delay on the check in and departure system. Funny little bug.
Old Jun 19, 11, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Assuming the FIDs is the screen in the lounge I have experienced the same problem. I even checked with Guest Services who couldn't see any sign of a delay on the check in and departure system. Funny little bug.
I had the same thing last time I flew out of LHR. My iPad showed a delay, but no mention on the screens, and Guest Services couldn't find a delay either.
I went to the gate and boarded, only to be told we were going to be a delayed an hour due to reduced number of take off slots due to ATC staff shortages.
Old Jun 19, 11, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Recently, the app gave me warning of a delay that the gate staff didn't yet know about. It meant I didn't have to speculate what the telephone call was about...
Old Jun 19, 11, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Ith

Just to round this off- and thanks to all for your suggestions- the delay was accurate and due to "operational reasons" according to the captain, which I take to be crew rest.

I was PUTI last night- apologies! Never book a morning flight after a night out! Plenty of black coffees offered on board (along with a rather knowing look from the cc) so I was able to navigate the HEX and Paddington --> Euston shuffle quite well. CE was definitely worth it because although I couldn't face the FEB, I was proactively offered the fruit and also an ET salmon roll thing, plus the bread/croissant basket- excellent crew who looked after my medical situation (AKA hangover) very well- and addressed me by name! I will definitely be sending a Well Done.

Luckily, there were no screaming children. Shame the can't be said for the (delayed) virgin train I then had to catch...

Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread