Wiki Posts
Search

Shoe shine terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Cool. Thanks both. Will call in to him tomorrow then. See you there stueys
Sorry I failed. Left it late leaving the house, M25 wasn't great and fast track was absolutely pathetic this morning. Net result was no time for a recce.

Can confirm it's £6 for shoes though
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Shoe where is the shoe shine guy in T5?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I seem to recall there is one next to the escalators up to lounges South...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:03 am
Original Poster

At the bottom of the escalator to both lounges. Just had my shoes done by the normal guy at the bottom of North galleries escalator. A great bloke to talk to, who is an actor and children's entertainer when he's not shining shoes!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And for a free automated service, there is a machine in T5 Flounge.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And for a free automated service, there is a machine in T5 Flounge.
Really - I've never spotted that. Whereabouts is it?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flibbly
Really - I've never spotted that. Whereabouts is it?
By the disabled toilets towards the Champagne Bar, on the left facing the bar. Sometimes they move it down into the alcove by the toilets.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
So it is £6 per shine.

Now I shine my shoes every Sunday night for the next week. After holidays and annual leave I probably do this 46-47 times per year. Times £6 a shine... I am saving some £280 per year. ^

Enough for a quick TP run to keep me in the manner to which I have accustomed myself...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
By the disabled toilets towards the Champagne Bar, on the left facing the bar. Sometimes they move it down into the alcove by the toilets.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I hate polishing shoes, but am also a tightwad when it comes to paying someone else to do it
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Show shine in the lounges....

I am not work shy when it comes to polishing my own shoes. I am of the opinion that a scruffy looking, badly polished shoe looks terrible. It amazes me how many people dress well and are let down by scruffy or simply bad shoes!

Anyway, I have often thought a shoe shine service in the lounges (even a pay for service if allowed) would be quite popular/sensible. I imagine one of the reasons the business for the guys at the bottom of the stairs is so quiet is because no one really wants to stop on their way to or from the lounge, but having your shoes polished while in the lounge would be an entirely different proposition...

What do people think?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by shogan1977
I imagine one of the reasons the business for the guys at the bottom of the stairs is so quiet is because no one really wants to stop on their way to or from the lounge, but having your shoes polished while in the lounge would be an entirely different proposition...
Really?? What's so particularly galling about stopping on the way to the lounge if you need a shine? Is it the thought to having to be around the hoi polloi for a few minutes longer?

It seems to me that if the paid for service struggles to be busy in the main halls, they are going to do even less business within the restricted lounge areas because of much lower footfall.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shogan1977
I am not work shy when it comes to polishing my own shoes. I am of the opinion that a scruffy looking, badly polished shoe looks terrible. It amazes me how many people dress well and are let down by scruffy or simply bad shoes!
One of my Father's stock sayings is "with a shinny pair of boots you can face any challenge". I happen to agree with him
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
At the bottom of the escalator to both lounges. Just had my shoes done by the normal guy at the bottom of North galleries escalator. A great bloke to talk to, who is an actor and children's entertainer when he's not shining shoes!
Did you ask the guy being paid £6 to shine your shoes how successful his acting career is?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Did you ask the guy being paid £6 to shine your shoes how successful his acting career is?
£7.50 - I've got the silver tipped cowboy boots on today.

I have a feeling he's not in the Royal Shakespeare Company, but he does a mean turn with a puppet on each hand
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I have a feeling he's not in the Royal Shakespeare Company, but he does a mean turn with a puppet on each hand
^

I've got the silver tipped cowboy boots on today.
Mid-life crisis still on-going then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.