Wiki Posts
Search

OLY/LAS £1k cheaper than LHR/LAS?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
OLY/LAS £1k cheaper than LHR/LAS?

I am sure FT people will groan at the question which has probably been done to death, but please be patient!

I have a lads trip to Vegas next year to celebrate my retirement (^) and I have looked in vain for MFU to CW, even 11 months in advance (I have to fly separately from them for TPs and miles purposes)

Looking at the Openskies thread, I thought I would see what prices were like from Paris.

I can fly CW in May 2012 from Orly via Heathrow for £2,442 approx and CW from Heathrow for £3,411.

This just seems stupid - would I have to fly the final leg to Orly on the way back?

Or I may be missing something obvious
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
From AMS it is easier, better transfers and yes, a lot cheaper. No need to fly the final leg but a return LHR-AMS is cheaper than a single and you would earn extra TPs and miles.

Return AMS-LAS in CW in May is E 2282 or GBP 2027
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
From AMS it is easier, better transfers and yes, a lot cheaper. No need to fly the final leg but a return LHR-AMS is cheaper than a single and you would earn extra TPs and miles.
Thanks - I will try that. Patently absurd isn't it?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Really you can't find any MFU availability this far out? I had no problem getting a MFU for both myself and my friends to LAS, I booked 9 months in advance.
Have you also looked at flying via Dallas, Phoenix or Chicago?

The pricing is typical ex-EU, I think that is explained in the ultimate guide sticky? Its due to lower taxes, and you don't have to take the final flight (but you must take the first one!). You can have a long stopover in London on the way back, so that you can combine it with the return leg of your positioning flight, which gives you a return trip to Paris at a later date.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gledholt
Not really but you can indeed find a lot of threads on that subject.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:58 am
Original Poster

...and cost down to about £2K!^
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:58 am

If you read the ULTIMATE Guide sticky at the top of the forum, there's chapter and verse about exEU fares.

If you're retiring, and you and/or your friends have time to travel, then it's a great way to save, travel more, earn miles and TPs.

Strictly speaking, you do have to take the final flight, but why not simply enjoy and extra few days in Paris, Amsterdam or one of the other exotic locales (you can open jaw an MFU, so no need to return to your original starting point) and have yet another holiday after Vegas (you might need one to recover!).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oscietra
If you read the ULTIMATE Guide sticky at the top of the forum, there's chapter and verse about exEU fares.

If you're retiring, and you and/or your friends have time to travel, then it's a great way to save, travel more, earn miles and TPs.

Strictly speaking, you do have to take the final flight, but why not simply enjoy and extra few days in Paris, Amsterdam or one of the other exotic locales (you can open jaw an MFU, so no need to return to your original starting point) and have yet another holiday after Vegas (you might need one to recover!).
Thanks very much - I will read up on all of this and start taking advantage
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:07 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=britbronco22;16551260]Really you can't find any MFU availability this far out? I had no problem getting a MFU for both myself and my friends to LAS, I booked 9 months in advance.
Have you also looked at flying via Dallas, Phoenix or Chicago?

QUOTE]

No I can't see any MFU for 4/5/2012 returning 11/5/2012. I will have a look at the other destinations - maybe it is a bad time because of the bank holiday but these are the only dates we can do (rest of them not interested in TPs and miles or travelling in anything other than economy, so its just me!)

Thanks for the response
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying via AMS is sometimes cheaper and faster than making your way to LHR from the regions and quite possible LGW-AMS-LHR is faster than a taxi.

Beware; if you buy a WTP fare from AMS and your account is in the UK you cannot MFU that trip!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:14 am

Flying via AMS is sometimes cheaper and faster than making your way to LHR from the regions and quite possible LGW-AMS-LHR is faster than a taxi.

Beware; if you buy a WTP fare from AMS and your account is in the UK you cannot MFU that trip!

Not true.

Honestly, it's best to stay quiet if you don't know what you're talking about.

As long as you purchase the ticket on the phone from your local, registered BAEC callcentre the starting point is irrelevant.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As Oscietra mentioned, this isn't true, it has been discussed recently.

To MFU a fare your journey must be ticketed in your membership country.
If you call your BAEC call centre they will allow you to MFU but it will be priced in GBP after a conversion from EUR at BA's exchange rate of choosing.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
...rest of them not interested in TPs and miles or travelling in anything other than economy...
economy?

I think you need to look at recruiting a different set of friends if you want to travel a lot in your retirement!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA or bust
economy?

I think you need to look at recruiting a different set of friends if you want to travel a lot in your retirement!
Indeed - they think I am mad! Most of my retirement travel will be with Mrs G who, believe me, is not going to go economy!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:52 am

Thumbs up I am Forum challenged

I am new again. Have not traveled overseas in 10 yrs. Planning a trip to Italy mid august and have been checking my options. Too many and the price is still high??? $1300 rt us-Italy.

I would like long layover in either Munich, Paris, Frankfurt on outbound. I will have a new puppy in cabin with me inbound from Italy. Am looking at flying into BLQ.

My question since there are so many options, which would be best and lowest fare.

And I have checked with seat guru on seating on the various planes for the atlantic crossing. I am into comfort (if even possible in economy), 32 seat pitch 18-19 seat with, Ha Ha

any help would be appreciated.

By the way, mm Continental milage bank is very low.

JK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.