Travelling in Transit

Old Jun 13, 11, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Travelling in Transit

The hunt for miles and tiers seem to be as strong as ever, I was wondering if anyone has done the following, and do an entire journey in transit? Let me clarify, would it be possible to board a plane in Amsterdam (one of my favourite cities) and go letís say around the world without ever leaving any airport, no passport stamping, no hotels or stopovers just flying from one airport to the other, staying in transit and making it back to your start off airport?

We tend to compare flights and lounges for obvious reasons, how about transit areas, I am sure there must be fantastic and horrid transit areas as well. Have you ever thought of it, any possible routing you would take, in transit?
Old Jun 13, 11, 2:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingRhino View Post
I am sure there must be fantastic and horrid transit areas as well. Have you ever thought of it, any possible routing you would take, in transit?
Aren't these called lounges?
Old Jun 13, 11, 2:07 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Most airline lounges are airside so provided you have access you won't experience "horrid transit" areas.
Old Jun 13, 11, 2:40 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The only place I can think of from the top of my head where you will have a problem is the US as you can't transit without getting you passport stamped so avoid that.

I am sure there are more places like it also but can't think of any.
Old Jun 13, 11, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
The hunt for miles and tiers seem to be as strong as ever, I was wondering if anyone has done the following, and do an entire journey in transit? Let me clarify, would it be possible to board a plane in Amsterdam (one of my favourite cities) and go let’s say around the world without ever leaving any airport, no passport stamping, no hotels or stopovers just flying from one airport to the other, staying in transit and making it back to your start off airport?
I know that it's a hypothetical question, but I would have to ask - WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS?! I thought that Olybeast's RTW trip was mad, but to do it without leaving any airports?

However, I'd probably say LHR and JFK have 2 of the nicest lounges, and Singapore is a pretty nice airport to transit through if you have to.....
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
The hunt for miles and tiers seem to be as strong as ever, I was wondering if anyone has done the following, and do an entire journey in transit?
Plenty of people have done out-and-back millage runs, and or superfluous sectors/side trips, without ever ceasing to be in transit.

But, it is something governed by the airports involved.
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:19 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I suggest you read one of Kiwiflyer's excellent reports in the Trip Report sub-forum. He does this kind of thing on a regular basis.

Search this Thread