Tier Points on S7 flights

Old Jun 11, 11, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Tier Points on S7 flights

I was looking at some flights on S7 airlines and noticed on the ba.com partners page that for a business class ticket, apparently only booking classes J and C are eligible for miles or TPs.

The trouble is, many of the S7 long hauls seem to book into D, at least according to a search with the ITA tool. S7's own booking engine doesn't say anything about fare classes or let you select them other than between Economy (discount coach), Standard (fully flexible coach) and Business (also fully flexible).

So if you book Business and the ticket says D, you apparently won't be getting points on BAEC - not business class TPs, not flexible economy TPs, not even discount economy TPs. You would get nothing, zero, for buying the most expensive ticket available.

Even more strange is that if you enter S7 and IKT/DME into the ba.com miles and points calculator, it says you'd be earning 3281 miles and 120 TPs in Business class, even though there doesn't seem to be a way to actually buy a ticket that BA would consider eligible.

On top of that, oneworld RTW business class fares book into D at least on most airlines, and if I haven't misunderstood, first class RTW would also get you seated in D if the aircraft doesn't have a first class. So you could buy oneworld's most premium product, and if your itinerary included S7 routes in Russia's far east, BA would treat you to zero points and miles for those.

Is this correct, or has someone taken an S7 D class flight and been awarded TPs? Or could someone with access to actual fare information check if S7 really doesn't sell J or C (for example IKT-DME on some random date)?

In my opinion exceptions like this are the biggest shortcoming of the oneworld alliance, the programs are too fragmented, with participating airlines making their own rules and deeming partner flights ineligible if they so choose. Contrast this with *A where many airlines let you even upgrade with miles from another program. If you buy a OW ticket it should be recognized by all participating airlines, what's the point of an alliance otherwise?

If there's no points, I could as well fly SU which is cheaper anyway.
Old Jun 11, 11, 7:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I agree that it does sound quite strange.

Failing anyone being able to answer your question from experience (and i can think of one member who will no doubt of flown plenty of S7 sectors by now) perhaps a PM to Nicci for an answer on this one way or another ?

cs
Old Jun 12, 11, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Hm, now that I checked the Forum Dashboard guide in the stickies, it didn't mention anything about D being an exception on S7 - but that's probably just an omission in the guide, BA wouldn't just quietly have removed D from their earnings table after the guide was written, would they?
Old Jun 12, 11, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HELflyer View Post
Hm, now that I checked the Forum Dashboard guide in the stickies, it didn't mention anything about D being an exception on S7 - but that's probably just an omission in the guide, BA wouldn't just quietly have removed D from their earnings table after the guide was written, would they?
I don't think that kind of change would be past them, but honestly I'd say it's far more likely it's just an error on the site. Paging Smirnoff on this one...
Old Jun 12, 11, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
FWIW, D class is also missing from the QF earning table:

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...m/terms#jump25

The AA earning table however perhaps sheds some light:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...irlines/s7.jsp

Originally Posted by AA
*D is an upgrade to Business Class and will accrue as Full Fare Economy
Old Jun 13, 11, 1:23 am
Original Poster

*D is an upgrade to Business Class and will accrue as Full Fare Economy
It could also be that the ITA airfare search tool is in error, though I've found it accurate before. It shows e.g. IKT-DME booking into D on an actual, paid business class ticket.

Found some discussion on the oneworld forum S7 become oneworld member 15NOV10 thread. According to it BA (and AA) would have awarded full business class miles for J C D at that time but several other airlines only for J C. (AY still shows J C D in their official earnings table)

If I understood right, S7 business class tickets are fully refundable, so I could book one just to see if I get C or D and then cancel it, but it's still a large enough sum of money that I don't feel like testing how smoothly the refund actually works...

I wonder if anyone with access to KVS Tool or ExpertFlyer could check what fare classes it shows?
Old Jun 13, 11, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't need to check anywhere like that.

AA.COM allows you to search for S7 fares, and shows the underlying fare code.

Searching for DME-IKT on aa.com brings 2 fares - business flexible in J, or business special in D.

You can also click on fare rules which shows the fare basis code: BTERTD.
Old Jun 13, 11, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All my S7 flights have booked into C class, they post on mye BAEC statement as:

MUNICH - MOSCOW DOMODEDEVO (B/C) S7898(Operated by: S7 Airlines)

Presumably B = business, C = fare class.

I don't know about D class. I'm sure it is intended that all paid-for business-class fares are eligible for miles/TPs. I know who to ask, and will report back with the answer I get.
Old Jun 13, 11, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Smirnoff. Indeed some flights seem to book into C or J, also according to the ITA matrix tool. However on www.s7.ru (at least the English version of it) I'm not seeing a way to choose between business flexible and business special, just Business.

How do you search for S7 fares on aa.com, I'm just getting "We are unable to find recommendations for your search"?
Old Jun 13, 11, 12:52 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
The AA earning table however perhaps sheds some light:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...irlines/s7.jsp
It could also be that the ITA airfare search tool is in error, though I've found it accurate before. It shows e.g. IKT-DME booking into D on an actual, paid business class ticket.
It appears that D used to be the Upgrade Booking Class on S7, but is now used for discounted Business-class Fares instead.

As per http://www.S7.ru/en/ffpMilesCalculator.action:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.2.0/Diamond - Sabre: Fares/TVN/CA-STD]
Code:
IKT  Irkutsk RU [UIII]
MOW  Moscow Metro RU = SVO DME VKO BKA
R/T  Jun 2011 - May 2012

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis/TD | Travel Period
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  -----------------------------
S7         IKT     MOW       641   USD        ***       295  OPORT
S7         IKT     MOW       676   USD        ***       300  QPORT
S7         IKT     MOW       740   USD        ***       305  NPORT
S7         IKT     MOW       832   USD        ***       310  RLERT
S7         IKT     MOW       902   USD        ***       315  TLERT
S7         IKT     MOW       973   USD        ***       320  VLERT
S7         IKT     MOW      1085   USD        ***       325  MLERT
S7         IKT     MOW      1297   USD        ***       330  KTERT
S7         IKT     MOW      1579   USD        ***       335  HTERT
S7         IKT     MOW      1935   USD        ***       355  BTERT
S7         IKT     MOW      2006   USD        ***       355  BTERTD
S7         IKT     MOW      2006   USD        ***       355  DTERT
S7         IKT     MOW      3145   USD        ***       365  YLIRT
S7         IKT     MOW      4246   USD        ***       360  CTERT
S7         IKT     MOW      6200   USD        ***       365  JLIRT
Old Jun 13, 11, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks KVS, as well... So what to make of this: it seems S7 does have separate D, C and J fares on this route, with C pricing out about twice as much as D, and J three times as much.

From the price it would seem the fares I was looking at were in fact D "discount" business, though I don't see a way to confirm this at s7.ru, at least not on the flight selection page (nor is there a way to choose between the three, perhaps the price just goes up after all D or C seats are taken?)

Anyone know if BA's earnings table (J C only) is from the time D used to be(?) an upgrade class, or does S7 discount business really come with zero BA miles and tier points?
Old Jun 13, 11, 2:58 pm

Thanks KVS, as well... So what to make of this: it seems S7 does have separate D, C and J fares on this route, with C pricing out about twice as much as D, and J three times as much.

From the price it would seem the fares I was looking at were in fact D "discount" business, though I don't see a way to confirm this at s7.ru, at least not on the flight selection page (nor is there a way to choose between the three, perhaps the price just goes up after all D or C seats are taken?)

Anyone know if BA's earnings table (J C only) is from the time D used to be(?) an upgrade class, or does S7 discount business really come with zero BA miles and tier points?
Might be worth PM'ing the BA rep here or alternatively putting in an e-mail to BAEC.
Old Jun 15, 11, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

PM sent, hope they'll have time to look into it.
Old Jun 15, 11, 12:30 pm

PM sent, hope they'll have time to look into it.
I have also put in a query. Interestingly the person who contacted me said they were not aware of any code realignments, but they were now going to look into it in light of the issue I had raised.
Old Jun 17, 11, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Got a reply from the BAEC rep:

"This is definetly not an eligible class as per our agreement with S7, however, I have asked the team to review this and if necessary discuss again with S7 but under the current rules I'm afraid the information is accurate."

Search this Thread