British Airways hand luggage

Old Jun 11, 11, 10:29 am
Original Poster

British Airways hand luggage

Hi,
Next week I`m travelling with British Airways to Singapore for a business trip and I wish to make it the first outside Europe where I will travel only with hand luggage - two bags within the limits.

I will transfer in Heathrow from a local European flight, but I got some rumors that I might have problems with Heathrow security if I travel with two bags.

Is this just a rumor? Should I expect any problems transferring with two bags in Heathrow? (Terminal 5 to 3). (Not just with security, but also with BA staff when boarding the LHR-SIN flight.)
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:39 am

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
I transferred through LHR in April. Had 2 carry ons, one a 22" spinner, the other, my personal item, was an Ogio half dome gym bag. Both were just pushing the envelope limits of carry on size and weight. I had no problem, at the ticket counter at my origin, or at LHR. I've had problems with LX and LH, they are meticulous about weighing and sizing carry ons.

Note: I also try to push my bags right up to the ticket counter, out of view of the TA, then I don't hang around when I'm done. Once I was hanging around the ticket counter after saying I had nothing to check, and a TA decided to throw my rollaboard in the sizer. I then had to transfer a bunch of stuff to my personal item, and IIRC, had to put on a jacket and sweater I had in the bag to shrink it down.

Last edited by chugger1; Jun 11, 11 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, DoubleBay
Please continue to follow this thread in the BA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chugger1 View Post
I transferred through LHR in April. Had 2 carry ons, one a 22" spinner, the other, my personal item, was an Ogio half dome gym bag. Both were just pushing the envelope limits of carry on size and weight. I had no problem, at the ticket counter at my origin, or at LHR. I've had problems with LX and LH, they are meticulous about weighing and sizing carry ons.

Note: I also try to push my bags right up to the ticket counter, out of view of the TA, then I don't hang around when I'm done. Once I was hanging around the ticket counter after saying I had nothing to check, and a TA decided to throw my rollaboard in the sizer. I then had to transfer a bunch of stuff to my personal item, and IIRC, had to put on a jacket and sweater I had in the bag to shrink it down.
Mine are 20" spinner and a laptop bag exactly at the limits. I don`t expect any problems at my origin (they never put a bag in the sizer, even for low-cost airlines, unless its obviously too big), but was concerned about LHR. So - thanks!

Then my return flight will be with Qantas, where I will have to check-in the spinner, as Qantas only allows 1 item to LHR.
Old Jun 11, 11, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ages ago it used to be a very strict one bag policy at Heathrow.

Now it's a 2 bag policy dependent on your airline.

As you are travelling with British Airways, you are entitled to bring 2 pieces of hand baggage:

Your main piece of hand baggage is up to the dimensions 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

Your second piece is up to the dimensions 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in), including the handle and pockets.

See this for further details:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb
Old Jun 11, 11, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
You should be fine checking in or transferring through LHR. As long as your bags are within the limits or don't look over the limits. The main considerations are that one can fit head on (or head on/side on) in the overhead bin and the other can (if necessary) fit under the seat in front of you. Print your boarding pass at home and go straight through to security.

I always take carry on bag + laptop bag when I fly with BA albeit usually also with a checked in bag. I've not yet had any problems either at MAN or at HRE (where if anything, they're stricter due to the smaller overhead bins).

Edit: A warm welcome to FT BTW.
Old Jun 11, 11, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Welcome to FT

You will not have any problem
Old Jun 16, 11, 3:57 pm

Hand baggage can weigh 23 kgs (51 lbs) ?!

According to this below link, we are allowed to take 51 lbs (23 Kgs) of weight in the hand baggage in BA flight. Is that right?

I'll be flying in BA next week from USA to India via LHR. I would appreciate any more information on this.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 11, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by krisudha View Post
According to this below link, we are allowed to take 51 lbs (23 Kgs) of weight in the hand baggage in BA flight. Is that right?

I'll be flying in BA next week from USA to India via LHR. I would appreciate any more information on this.

Thanks.
As long as it is within the size limits and you can lift it into the overhead unassisted then you will be fine.
Old Jun 17, 11, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Blue
You will be fine, BA do not enforce cabin baggage very closely at all I noticed. Once when I boarded a plane, there was a teenager in front of me carrying no less than 4 bags! I even pointed it out to the crew as I boarded, who did nothing.

I've seen plenty of people with suitcases as well which are far bigger than the size requirements
Old Jun 17, 11, 9:10 am

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
What about those bins they use on the belts at security in T5? I'm not sure I've seen any bags not fitting within them recently, but I had the impression they act as sizers.
Old Jun 17, 11, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT DoubleBay.
Old Jun 17, 11, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT krisudha.
Old Jun 17, 11, 10:45 am

Thanks

Thank you all for the quick response.
Old Jun 17, 11, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Remember though that BA (like most other European airlines) includes wheels and handles in its 22" measurement. In my experience US luggage that is sold as 22" is actually longer than that if wheels and handles are included. Can cause problems on European airlines particularly if both the bag and the flight are very full. But you should be fine.

Search this Thread