Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anything I can do with BA Miles to/in SE Asia (for 4 pax, this summer?)

Old Jun 10, 11, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am a lowly ant

We have 200k miles, 2 adults with silver status, 2 kids, and we need to fly from LON and we need to end up in MES (Indonesia) at some point but other stops are possible. Dates are outbound 10th July, inbound 6 September (+-3)

SQ (MI) fly SIN-MES, MH fly KUL-MES, otherwise it's Air Asia to KUL, BKK or HKG - realistically we are looking at flying LON-KUL/SIN/BKK/HKG therefore.

We will probably end up in Y on a random carrier, but creative suggestions welcomed? We have 2 months, so some lattitude to do some flying, if there are useful in-region mileage outlets....

Last edited by meester69; Jun 10, 11 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 11, 11, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you are looking at SIN,BKK,HKG ,you could consider Finnair ( AY) via HEL. There may be more availability on that route and Business is pretty good.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 11, 11, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
With 200K for 4 people you will not even be in Y.... AirAsiaX from STN seems the wisest choice to me. For 2x the price of BA's YQ+ alone you can fly business class seats to KUL.
Old Jun 11, 11, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
With 200K for 4 people you will not even be in Y.... AirAsiaX from STN seems the wisest choice to me. For 2x the price of BA's YQ+ alone you can fly business class seats to KUL.
AirAsiaX is not hugely competitive IME, the best fare around these dates is 248 in economy on 10 July, or 933 in premium on 11 July. (A 1307 fare is also available on some days)

Returning, the fares are 340 on 5th/6th September in economy, or 715 on most days in premium.

So you've got a headline fare of 588 in Y or 1648 in J

To which you then need to add outbound 20 e/w YQ, 106 taxes (186 in J), then 8 credit card fee, 30 for luggage (in Y only), 30 or so for food and drinks (in Y), and you're looking at 800 STN-KUL in Y or 1840 in J.

Problem with that being, the Y fare is no cheaper than TG to BKK for instance, or NZ to HKG, and the J fare is not much cheaper than full service options either.

Select 4 pax and the best all-in price is 9034 (only the 1307 fare available outbound), with no child discount. Even if you could book the 1648 fare, because there's no child discount, it's effectively the same as a 2000 fare on a full-service carrier.
Old Jun 11, 11, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AirAsiaX I like for their 'business' product. If you can make your way to ORY the fares are even lower.
Old Jun 11, 11, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
AirAsiaX I like for their 'business' product. If you can make your way to ORY the fares are even lower.
Couldn't find 4 seats in 'business' from there at all. Still would cost 6500 for the 4 of us if I could.
Old Jun 11, 11, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So the short answer is that you should probably keep the miles for something else from other time. The only point of the miles would be to get regional awards from HKG for instance, but regional fares from Asia (especially from SIN) tend to be quite cheap so not very useful. Or you could use them to upgrade from Y to Y+ on BA but the Y fares on BA are likely to be very expensive. If you have found good options via BKK, I'd just go for this fast and keep the miles till they can be used more efficiently. You say your outbound will be 10/7 - this is in less than a month and fares could go up very quickly if you wait too long.
Old Jun 11, 11, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meester69 View Post
Couldn't find 4 seats in 'business' from there at all. Still would cost 6500 for the 4 of us if I could.
Can't find it when I search for 2+2 either. 2 adults would be E 1650 each for a return but since AirAsia does one-ways at 50% of a return you could use your miles to get there and get back on D7 or vice versa. I searched for low season last time and the price was E650 each way.

Alternatively you can make your way to AMM on a paid Y and do a return to Asia on RJ from there on miles.

Search this Thread