Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Heathrow fit for purpose?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yes I have. Many many times. I have never had any problems.
Well, I had. In the last two years I spent 13 days in hotels, I went from EDI to LHR or LHR-EDI 4 times with the rail or coach because the airports were closed. And had totally 12 flights canceled (Ash disruption excluded).

My point is that every country has things that doesn't make our life easier. In Dubai they pray 4-5 or 7 times per day, in UK if the weather is just bad with some winds or 10cm of snow the airports will close, the security measures are very tight because their foreign affairs and actions make the UK a target (also the passengers) . In my home country Greece, very often they have strikes (which is the worst in terms of be a tourist or even living in a country.

Every country has its plus and minus and everyone is considering those in order to decide where to spend his time. It is not that bad the fact that you cannot get a taxi for 15 minutes * 5 times a day. As others said in some places you cannot get a taxi all the day.

In NYC the shift change is during the rush our and there is no reason for that (it is not their culture/religion that obligates them to do that)
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by potakas
Every country has its plus and minus and everyone is considering those in order to decide where to spend his time. It is not that bad the fact that you cannot get a taxi for 15 minutes * 5 times a day. As others said in some places you cannot get a taxi all the day.

In NYC the shift change is during the rush our and there is no reason for that (it is not their culture/religion that obligates them to do that)
Agreed. and sorry for your experience.

In Dubai it is not 15 minutes five times a day. It is 35 minutes plus. You know why? The taxi drivers have their prefered mosques to pray. They do not go to the mosques nearby unless very desprated. So if you are not enroute to their favourite mosques, you are likely to be waiting forever. The driver will aim to arrive on time to their mosques from one side to another side. It usualy takes a while. Then you have to wait for them to finish pray and then go on road again before they decide to pray again. 35 minutes you are lucky. Once I have to wait for 45 minutes in the heat outside the metro station as the train was running for the noon pray until one lucky driver come along.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Well one has to adjust. It is frustrating, but one manages. There rare 5 prayers. Dawn, and I am sure this one doesn't disrupt anybody's time. Noon, afternoon, sundown and evening. Just adjust your times

At this very moment in NY there is the Porto Rican parade, can't move and go to my favourite places to finish last minute shopping. All the roads areound 5th Ave are blocked from 10am-7pm, does that mean I don't like NY? And almost every other weekend there is some sort of Parade, one has to live with that.

Simple, don't complicate life.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I am not such a good Muslim, but a good human being, and know of only 5 prayers. One can do extra rukaat but only don't during the prayer. And one can do their prayers anywhere as long as it is clean. Have seen them praying on Park Ave in NY, one really doesn't need to go to the mosque really. Except for the Friday prayers, where one goes to the mosque to hear the sermon. That is why most of the riots are on Fridays after prayers.

And no I do not take offense at all, that is your experience, but it doesn't mean that it happens all the time.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Yahillwe

At this very moment in NY there is the Porto Rican parade, can't move and go to my favourite places to finish last minute shopping.
Haha, I had the same problem last time I was there, couldn't blame anyone though... it was the Greek one

Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that NY knows when I am in town and they schedule a parade in my honor every time. Saw the Greek one, as well as the ladies with their hats in the spring, the isreali one, gay one, macy's ... You name they didn't it all in MY honor, how do they know my schedule is a mystery to me, maybe BA informs them and they scramble to create a parade. Ohh Irish. But never a British one, wonder why not?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Fruitcake has one of the most sensible responses.
Thankyou! We have a mutual admiration society, I think.

On another matter, I enjoyed my one visit to Dubai and am hoping to visit again next year. I enjoyed the January weather, was never held up by praying - though would have respected that - and found the mixture of old and new interesting. Dubai is quite a phenomenon!

However, that was as a straight man not seeking to get off with anybody. I quite see that for LGBT people it would be a different story and that is not good. I am unsure whether that means I should not go again.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hey, folks, can we stop this side issue? ... it is getting just a wee bit uncomfortable.

If a Muslim wants to stop and pray 5 times a day, that's his/her right.
If an American city wants to close down to celebrate an Irish Saint, that's their business.
If London wants to celebrate the Queen's Official Birthday, that's their business too.
Oh, and you UK TP runners ... JER shops are closed on Sunday. Something to do with our God, I think.

I do find the expectations of some people, in that everything will revolve around their needs/desires, a bit sad. Can we all chill a bit, eh?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Thankyou! We have a mutual admiration society, I think.

On another matter, I enjoyed my one visit to Dubai and am hoping to visit again next year. I enjoyed the January weather, was never held up by praying - though would have respected that - and found the mixture of old and new interesting. Dubai is quite a phenomenon!

However, that was as a straight man not seeking to get off with anybody. I quite see that for LGBT people it would be a different story and that is not good. I am unsure whether that means I should not go again.
As a gay man also not seeking to get off with anyone (not all of us do, you know ), I would respectfully urge you (as would I) to give them a wide birth if you have any discretionary spend: they are no different from apartheid South Africa. I recognise, however, that reasonable people can disagree, just as they did with respect to South African boycotts, as to whether reform is best carried forward by engagement with the bigots or boycotting them.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by CT-UK
SRG.

Sorry but don't think of Dubai as this just from the crap you see on TV. People from the world would think the UK is full of drunks fighting living on fish and chips or full or royalty depending on what they watch on TV.

I grew up in the ME and had no interest in Dubai until last year and now I love it. You can get the big, bright, crazy and rich and then AMAZING food at cheap prices with locals and anything you want in the middle + the vast majority of service is great.

As for the airport and this is from somebody who has never connected through DXB or LHR I find LHR (T5) miles ahead of DXB.
Sorry only just seen this.

Nothing to do with anything on TV - which I can't honestly recall seeing, except vague recollections of something with Piers Morgan.

But I'd rather remember the Dubai I visited 20 years ago as a lovely undeveloped place in the Middle East where you could enjoy the beach on one day, and have a wonderful visit to the desert the next. I've no doubt you can still do that, but the fact it's so commercial and built up with all that concrete now (and that can't be hidden by TV, brochures or the like) is the main thing that turns me off.

One of my colleagues goes about 6-8 times a year and adores the place, but it's all too fake for me now. Sorry.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
But I'd rather remember the Dubai I visited 20 years ago as a lovely undeveloped place in the Middle East where you could enjoy the beach on one day, and have a wonderful visit to the desert the next.
I remember the Singapore of the late 60s, when the island was much smaller and smelled horrendous in the wrong weather!!
UK used to be quite nice in the 60s as well

However, a 'fake Dubai' with winter sunshine might be better than ... "Heathrow fit for purpose?" in the snow.

Cue next dramatic thread deviation
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hsmall
Some of your best friends are gay, how nice. Human rights are not achieved by the authorities overlooking the occasional gay bar. I bet they wouldn't overlook my husband and me living together as a married couple, which is what civilised countries allow.
No actually, my best friends are all straight. What's that got to do with the price of fish?

The guy I worked with had no problem living with his partner.

I agree that they wouldn't hold hands or snog, but as other have pointed out, they probably wouldn't do that in most places.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by T8191
However, a 'fake Dubai' with winter sunshine might be better than ... "Heathrow fit for purpose?" in the snow.
I'll take the Heathrow fit for purpose in the snow over sunny Dubai anyway... ...more chance of not going to work
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:18 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No actually, my best friends are all straight. What's that got to do with the price of fish?

The guy I worked with had no problem living with his partner.

I agree that they wouldn't hold hands or snog, but as other have pointed out, they probably wouldn't do that in most places.
Quite. I have no time for any sort of discrimination and all I will say if that my retired policeman husband adores and would go to the ends of the earth for mý best friend who is gayer than a goose.

This OMNI territory.

Heathrow is overcrowded and creaking at the seams. The OP is creaking and overcrowded at the seams. I adore the OP and constantly have to apologise about the deficiencies of Heathrow. I actually do the same for the OP but I blame her hot tub!!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This OMNI territory.
Et salute, setis comam, Imperatrix

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.