Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA hate WT+ Pax so much?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Why do BA hate WT+ Pax so much?

The subject line is a bit tongue in cheek but (as discussed previously) BA seem to do as much as possible to limit the premium nature of their premium economy product, esp when in comparison to other airlines (mainly VS, as the only real competitor in the class)

As I mention above, this has been discussed ad nauseum before, the latest new kick in the balls I've had as a WT+ passenger was on boarding to EWR late last month-

First Priority boarding for the disabled, infants etc, then an invitation to J,F, Gold and Silver pax to board via the fast track lanes, all well and good so far, then there an announcement that they would be "boarding by row starting with all rows 26 and higher".

Thats the WHOLE of Economy. I would have understood if they wanted to board from the back forward but they did not, they allowed the whole Y cabin to board at will but not the WT+ pax ahead of them, who would likely cause less trouble (due to the fewer numbers, competing for less over head space) blocking the aisles than those in rows 28-32

To be honest I wasn't really that annoyed, it just seems crazy to me that they choose to ignore, what is in effect, a completely free way to differentiate WT+ by offering them boarding before Y pax (as they do on VS) and instead turn it into a reason to not fly WT+! (albeit a very small one!)

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jun 9, 2011 at 3:33 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:56 am

I actually prefer to board last. With the exception of domestic, where grabbing overhead space is essential, I always wait until everyone else has boarded before boarding myself. Why'd I want to be sat down for longer than I need to be?

As for WT+ vs WT - there is of course the advantage of earlier disembarkation, which can be handy when arriving in the USA.

That said, I'd sooner be in WT than WT+ (when I'm not able to fly CW!) as at least there's a good chance of bagging an entire row and being able to stretch out.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jghill
I actually prefer to board last. With the exception of domestic, where grabbing overhead space is essential, I always wait until everyone else has boarded before boarding myself. Why'd I want to be sat down for longer than I need to be?

As for WT+ vs WT - there is of course the advantage of earlier disembarkation, which can be handy when arriving in the USA.

That said, I'd sooner be in WT than WT+ (when I'm not able to fly CW!) as at least there's a good chance of bagging an entire row and being able to stretch out.
It depends how long you've been cooped up in the departures area, you'd hope that a WT+ seat would be more comfortable than the standard airport departure seat you've been sat in for the last 2 hours!

(unfortunately, its probably not though but that too has been discussed many, many times!!)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:34 am

I can't see and advantage in early WT+ boarding as well. Smelly, dry cabin air, the rush of other people forcing you through the aisle...
In C+F, early boarding is great, even just for the bubbly.

Furthermore I have experienced that WT+ was even able to disembark before C (but after F) on a recent trip to SFO.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the reason why BA do not offer such extras is because of how popular WT+ is for paying customers and for the puropse of oversold Y cabin.

It's rarely empty.

Having LHR as their hub and the number of destinations they fly too, BA have a very strong advantage over other airlines, where convenience will most of the time out weighs a stronger product.

RE: VS Prem Economy - they dont have the connecting flights and number of other LH destinations as BA, so a large share of the Prem Econ market goes to BA, even if VS offer added perks.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Why do you want to board first? The seat isn't that comfortable and you don't get a pre-flight drink, iirc, so wouldn't you be more comfortable sitting down at the gate?
Would you also like the option to disembark last to maximize your time on the plane?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Of course on VS, you do get a pre-departure drink in PE, even if it isn't bubbly.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by kexbox
Furthermore I have experienced that WT+ was even able to disembark before C (but after F) on a recent trip to SFO.
That's an old chestnut and due to the mis-configuration of 52J planes which causes all sorts of problems.

The correct procedure is to let F pax disembark first by Door 1. Then J pax should be allowed to disembark by Door 2, moving the jet bridge if there's only one. During all that time, the WTP pax are restrained in their cabin and searched for wrappers of food stolen from the Club Kitchen during the flight and the waiting police will arrest where necessary. In extreme cases they can be swabbed down for crumbs of CW cake and suchlike and tested in a spectrometer while the WT pax disembark.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
That's an old chestnut and due to the mis-configuration of 52J planes which causes all sorts of problems.

The correct procedure is to let F pax disembark first by Door 1. Then J pax should be allowed to disembark by Door 2, moving the jet bridge if there's only one. During all that time, the WTP pax are restrained in their cabin and searched for wrappers of food stolen from the Club Kitchen during the flight and the waiting police will arrest where necessary. In extreme cases they can be swabbed down for crumbs of CW cake and suchlike and tested in a spectrometer while the WT pax disembark.
^
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Personally I think we First folk should be issued with full charged Tazers prior to boarding. That way we can zap any WT+ers that get in our way!

B
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Brian_1
Personally I think we First folk should be issued with full charged Tazers prior to boarding. That way we can zap any WT+ers that get in our way!

B
^
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Brian_1

B
Here was me thinking that F passengers ego's would just clear the path without the need for any Taser
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I believe they keep it as it is to stop it being seen as a Premium product and reduce the differentation of J. Its a very profitable cabin as it is, but they dont want to improve it and cause J passengers to possibly downgrade to it.

I think it should be seen for what it is. Economy with legroom.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Why do you want to board first? The seat isn't that comfortable and you don't get a pre-flight drink, iirc, so wouldn't you be more comfortable sitting down at the gate?
Would you also like the option to disembark last to maximize your time on the plane?
So are you saying F & J pax don't need it either? There is no real need for them to board early either with your argument, a pre flight drink is still more than servable with them boarding on mass, so why don't they stay in the even nicer confines of the lounge (like some do) if they don't want to get on the plane? And why are there so many moans about priority boarding (or lack of ) from premium pax on here?!

And since when has a seat in an airport departure lounge been more comfy than an airline seat?! (all jokes about the WT+ aside)

And, as I say, after being sat in a departure lounge for 2 hours, any change of scenery is welcome as much as anything. Many a time I've got the last flight out of BOS, having sat in Terminal E, begging to get onto the aeroplane.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jun 9, 2011 at 5:53 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
So are you saying F & J pax don't need it either? There is no real need for them to board early either with your argument, a pre flight drink is still more than servable with them boarding on mass, so why don't they stay in the even nice confines of the lounge (like many actually do), yet listen to all the moans about priority boarding on here!!
In fairness when I have been lucky enough to have flown in F on 5 occasions you do need to board first to change into the pyjamas and maybe a few minutes more if you are just wearing your birthday suit underneath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.