Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT. Security frisking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
OT. Security frisking

After a particularly thorough frisking in T5 the other day, I started to wonder whether the authorities have any policy on employing gay staff to perform such a role? Not trying to be inflammatory here, belive me, some of my best friends etc etc, but as they clearly have a policy about male to male, female to female, is there a written, or unwriiten dictat on the above? As a male, and this is now getting really OT, I prefer a massage from a female rather than a male, and would quite happily continue this preference through when it comes to being patted down.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Such a policy would be discriminatory under EU law. In the UK, you get normally get a "wand" anyway.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jun 9, 2011 at 3:47 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by EuroHannibal
After a particularly thorough frisking in T5 the other day, I started to wonder whether the authorities have any policy on employing gay staff to perform such a role? Not trying to be inflammatory here, belive me, some of my best friends etc etc, but as they clearly have a policy about male to male, female to female, is there a written, or unwriiten dictat on the above? As a male, and this is now getting really OT, I prefer a massage from a female rather than a male, and would quite happily continue this preference through when it comes to being patted down.
Someones orientation is irrelevant and it would be quite rightly discriminatory for any company to have such a policy. Searches must be conducted by those of the same gender. If not it could also lead to justifiable allegations of criminal conduct if say for example a male searched a female and it was interpreted by that person as an indecent assault. Thats why it's a plain no no and I am aware this kind of thing happening in the past.

It should also be remembered also that civilian airport staff working at security have no legal right in statute law to search you. It is entirely voluntary and conditional that you consent to a search when going through. i.e no search, no entry and eviction from the airport may ensue by the boys (and girls) in blue.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzuBbexl7Qk

SCNR
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Dennis the Menace Fan Club
Are you saying that you'd prefer to be searched by someone of the opposite sex because you'd get some sexual gratification from it?

But, by the same token, you object to someone of the same sex frisking you, because of a small chance that they might get some sexual gratification out of it?

Do you take similar steps to ensure that your Doctor is hetrosexual too?

Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Not trying to be inflammatory here, belive me, some of my best friends etc etc
May I suggest you go and tell some of these "best friends" about this thread you've started and share your concerns with them. I'm sure they'll be able to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.

Please do come back and let us know what they think!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:25 am

A persons sexual orientation means very little. In the airport they have a job to do and if someone refused a frisk search due a person being gay it would imo a) raise an alarm bell (why raise the issue for such a silly reason. Unless religious) and b) who would refuse being searched at an airport-a suspicious person?

When you flew on the aircraft I shall assume at least a few members of the crew were gay. If the plane crashed and they were in charge of your safety would you tell him to leave you because he was gay? I doubt it.

Or look at this way. If the gentlemen is gay he sees thousands of males a day I can probably bet their are other males he would be interested in above you. Unless of course you are Brad Pitt. Or perhaps he has a boyfriend or in a civil partnership and is just doing a job to get by?

/rant over
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
Originally Posted by borofergie
Are you saying that you'd prefer to be searched by someone of the opposite sex because you'd get some sexual gratification from it?

But, by the same token, you object to someone of the same sex frisking you, because of a small chance that they might get some sexual gratification out of it?

Do you take similar steps to ensure that your Doctor is hetrosexual too?

1 No
2. Erm. That's not what I wrote, but FWIW, no I don't
3. No. But thanks for playing
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had my inside leg measurement taken by a smiling girl in Beijings pearl market.....judging by what she was touching it wasn't just my leg she was measuring.

The trousers she sold me ended up being about 10" too long.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I have reports that they've tightened up considerably in ORK.

What I'd like to know are the criteria by which they select people for the damnable body-scanners at LHR.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I had my inside leg measurement taken by a smiling girl in Beijings pearl market.....judging by what she was touching it wasn't just my leg she was measuring.

The trousers she sold me ended up being about 10" too long.
You can always tuck them into them Blue wellies
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Dennis the Menace Fan Club
1 No
2. Erm. That's not what I wrote, but FWIW, no I don't
3. No. But thanks for playing
Fine. Now explain why you are so concerned about the sexual orientation of the person frisking you.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
You can always tuck them into them Blue wellies
^
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by borofergie
Fine. Now explain why you are so concerned about the sexual orientation of the person frisking you.
Well, seeing as you asked so politely, clearly the airport authorities see it as an issue, which is why the have men frisking men and women frisking women. To avoid lawsuits? Can't a woman frisking a woman cause a lawsuit?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by C-130
A persons sexual orientation means very little. In the airport they have a job to do and if someone refused a frisk search due a person being gay it would imo a) raise an alarm bell (why raise the issue for such a silly reason. Unless religious) and b) who would refuse being searched at an airport-a suspicious person?

When you flew on the aircraft I shall assume at least a few members of the crew were gay. If the plane crashed and they were in charge of your safety would you tell him to leave you because he was gay? I doubt it.

Or look at this way. If the gentlemen is gay he sees thousands of males a day I can probably bet their are other males he would be interested in above you. Unless of course you are Brad Pitt. Or perhaps he has a boyfriend or in a civil partnership and is just doing a job to get by?

/rant over
Yes but the point is that the same argument can be applied to justify being searched by someone of the opposite sex. A male (heterosexual) security person sees thousands of females a day and I can probably bet there are other females he would be interested in above my wife. (I'm on safe ground here as she doesn't read FT.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.