Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to gatwick - can somebody who works for ba please help ?

Heathrow to gatwick - can somebody who works for ba please help ?

Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by porsche911
Would ba approve a black cab ?
Probably not but *if* on one PNR, should you fail to get to LGW on time via a BA approved method then it is BA's responsibility to rebook you onto a later onward flight. If not one PNR then to be safe you should probably consider travelling to the vicinity of LGW the day before.....
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Probably not but *if* on one PNR, should you fail to get to LGW on time via a BA approved method then it is BA's responsibility to rebook you onto a later onward flight. If not one PNR then to be safe you should probably consider travelling to the vicinity of LGW the day before.....
I think it is pretty clear from the OP that it is on one PNR.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by raph
Relax, ..
I agree the OP is panicking too much when he says "basically I'm screwed". But he is wise to plan carefully how to do the journey as fast as possible. Even with an arguably slightly less precarious connection than this due to an airline schedule change I once recall pulling out all the stops to get VIP treatment through GRU increase my chances of making the connection if the inbound was delayed (it was, and I did). But there's only so much you can do - after that you just have to wait to see what happens on the day.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by raph

Relax
+2

OP, why do you think you can't make that connection? It's perfectly doable even with a 30+ minute delay on the inbound, absolutely no need to "gun it" anywhere. It's not as if you have to be at Gatwick 3 hours before the flight or something.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I cannot see that it is too tight; as mentioned, 3 hours is a valid connection between heathrow and gatwick; just collect bags, go to the national express station and get on the next coach to gatwick which run approx every 15 mins

In the unlikely event that you were to take the coach and misconnect, then being on a single booking , BA will be responsible to rebook you onto another service to the destination since it is a through ticket.

BA would not have a minimum connecting time of 3 hours if it was not feasible to connect in that time; just relax but don't dawdle around Heathrow , get bags , go to bus and get to gatwick

At that time of day, the rush hour will be dying.. With an 0805 arrival, should easily be able to take the 0855 coach which is scheduled to arrive at Gatwick North at 0945. I would suggest saving some hassle and booking the bus tickets online in advance. If should miss that coach , the next ones are at 0905, 0910, 0915 and 0930 all of which will get to gatwick in enough time

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 9, 2011 at 12:03 am
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I don't see the problem either. Unless the OP or someone in his traveling party needs medical attention en route caused by unnecessary stress. Take the bus. It is the BA way.

EDIT: If you arrange your own transport it may be more difficult for you to claim with BA if (very big if!) something goes wrong so I would definitely take the BAA approved busses.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 9, 2011 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Connection should be doable, your going against most of the rush hour traffic. Personally I would book a mini cab to pick me up outside the terminal as you arrive, will save you the trek to the bus and potential 15 min wait time but to be honest you have sufficient time to save yourself some cash and get the bus.

I wouldn't recommend a black cab, great around town not so comfortable on motorways.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:49 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stueys
Connection should be doable, your going against most of the rush hour traffic.
Exactly. Unless there is some major incident, the traffic from Heathrow to Gatwick should be moving pretty swiftly at that time in the morning (going the other way would be a different story).

So as others have said to the OP, don't worry, just plan your transfer journey, make sure you don't hang around and you are almost certain to make your connection.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:06 am

On its Italian website, BA advertise a private car service between LHR/LGW.
I dont know how much is the NX but at 78Ł for the whole family this may be a comfortable and BA-approved option.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Certainly consider a pre-booked taxi, especially with family where the cost of bus tickets starts to add up. If there is a problem on the M25, they are better able to get off and use other routes.

Connection time is doable, albeit not very relaxing!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:55 am

I apologise I geuinely believed there was a train which operated between Heathrow and Gatwick.

On another note it can be done by train:

Gatwick to Heathrow:
Gatwick Express trains to London Victoria depart every 15 minutes from South Terminal and take 30 minutes.

The Heathrow Express service departs from Paddington every 15 minutes. Terminal 4 passengers should change at Heathrow Central.

Heathrow Connect services operate between the same stations, but run half hourly and are a slower, stopping service. Passengers can also travel to and from Heathrow and the centre of London on the Piccadilly line tube. You can travel between Victoria and Paddington stations by bus, taxi or London Underground (District and Circle Lines).

Sourced from gatwick airports website.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/transp...ween-airports/ that gives some ways to get between airports in London.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be fine. 45mins at Heathrow to clear gives you an hour by car to Gatwick and 1h15 to drop bags, lounge and board. Your inbound could be 30mins late and you'd still make it, an hour late and you might just make the cut-off especially if you get someone from BA at LHR to advise LGW you are on your way.

IIRC there is a second BGI flight some/most days so if you do misconnect most likely you'll end up on that. At worst it'll be an overnight at BA's expense and confirmed the following day. You loose a days holiday which isn't great but hell it is only a day of your life and sometimes those unexpected interruptions can be huge fun. I had an extra day in SYD at the expense of Air Vanuatu and had a riot with the unplanned time.

One word of advice. If you are the worrying type, do your research and triple check before pressing the confirm button. That will avoid the slightly panicked tone in your OP going forward.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by porsche911
So basically I'm screwed - surly if they left the existing booking and I make another with them to fly out the day before they can put a note on the system to say I am in london already and will be checking in the morning at gatwick -
Perhaps they can, but they won't. It is standard legacy carrier practice to cancel an entire ticket when there is a no-show on any sector.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You'll be fine. 45mins at Heathrow to clear gives you an hour by car to Gatwick and 1h15 to drop bags, lounge and board. Your inbound could be 30mins late and you'd still make it, an hour late and you might just make the cut-off especially if you get someone from BA at LHR to advise LGW you are on your way.
I agree with everything up to the last sentence. As the OP will be deboarding to T1, it would probably not be advisable to try to find someone from BA at LHR T3/T5 as against getting to Gatwick by any available means
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate, sorry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.