OT? I've never done it before! BGI, all inclusive.

Old Jun 8, 11, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OT? I've never done it before! BGI, all inclusive.

Having been tempted by BA sales, and needing to assure a further year of Sliver, the OH and I are considering some of these BA offers of 'luxury holidays'. That means CW all the way, and a supposedly all-inclusive posh hotel at the end of it. Pricing is 4k-5k for a week, for the two of us to just ... do virtually nothing, for a change.

Now, we are not the 'all inclusive' type. We are usually able to sort ourselves out quite happily. There's something about the concept that might not sit too easily with a brace of 'senior citizens', especially in an unknown destination. We've looked at assorted websites, and seen the complaints [usually from US or CAN clients], and appreciate this is 'different'. I know that, because I lived and went to school in Jamaica ...

Are we mad?

Is this going to be 'Essex-on-Sea', with tattoos and vests everywhere?

mikey2124 ... I know you've been, so feel free to PM. I've read your posts on the destination forum.

T8191
66 and confused
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Currently everyone on the Dominican Republic is suffering quite the hoopla due to a rather enthusiastic breeze and some refreshing rains. You always take a huge risk when you go to the Caribbean in the summer months...

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 8, 11 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Just came back from Grenada. If your target is to do nothing, go there.
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
If you want to do nothing and are happy to risk wet weather (which is what you're proposing), then why not just head down to Devon/Cornwall/Channel Islands etc.

You'll save a bloody fortune - far more than the value of a BA Silver card!

(I had a superb time in Devon last week, compared to my slightly dodgy, rain-soaked, supposed 5* First Class trip to the Caribbean a month earlier...)
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looking at early December ... I did Google the weather patterns before starting this exercise!

@ Swiss Tony ... I want to escape from our little 9x5 Island [JER] for a while
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Looking at early December ... I did Google the weather patterns before starting this exercise!
Briljant plan in that case. I am not a fan but if - like has been said - you really want to do nothing that is the place to do it! Do you dive?
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Then at that price i'd be vary wary of what you'll get. December is peak season by all accounts.

(Quite why anyone who is retired and living on Jersey needs to go anywhere to do nothing completely escapes me, however...)
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Then at that price i'd be vary wary of what you'll get. December is peak season by all accounts.
Seriously? I you subtract the flight (lets say 1,5K since it is a sale) it would leave 1,5K per week (= 5 nights) or 300 pounds per night. You get rubbish for that on Barbados?
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some clarification clearly needed!

Life in Jersey is nice. For us, very nice. But it's also nice to escape occasionally. We spend a couple of months a year in VA, being busy and shopping for ourselves and the kids and the grand-kids. Nice to be somewhere different, with loads of bar-friends we've made over the years ... but it's really just living somewhere else. Where we stay keeps a storage box with our additional kitchen equipment for those evenings when we want to 'eat in'

What we've never done in 30+ years is go somewhere warm and dry in the Winter, and sit and do nothing for a week. We don't want grey skies, we don't want to water-ski or dive ... we just fancy trying doing nothing.

Does this all-inclusive idea work? Is BGI in December a bad idea?
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to go and do nothing on a beach where it is warm in December and you want something nice please consider Thailand. Ko Lanta for instance. At least it is not Essex on the sea...
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:25 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
T1981,

Having been to 3 AI's in BGI and living in Essex, I could take offence

However, I'm not easily offended so I won't

I like BGI, my hubby likes BGI and my kids like it too. We've been there in August for the last 2 years, stayed towards the South Coast, so not quite as exclusive or expensive as the West Coast but we really enjoyed it.

Yes, you will get a few tattooed people both from the South & North of England. Where we stayed is more of a family resort, teens & younger kids, far less older couples. Put it this way, if it were just hubby & I going, I would choose somewhere more suited to Adults.

BGI won't suit everyone, there's plenty of places which don't appeal to me but might appeal to you.
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
What are the resorts in BGI you are being offered as this to me seems the only variable ???
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Seriously? I you subtract the flight (lets say 1,5K since it is a sale) it would leave 1,5K per week (= 5 nights) or 300 pounds per night. You get rubbish for that on Barbados?
Flights only [CW] are around 3,200 for the two of us.
BA package for the week is around 4,500, depending on where, obviously.

I'll explore the differences in a day or so, but it seemed like the flights and the hotels added up to the same sort of numbers. We only started looking today, which is why I'm looking at the collective wisdom of you guys out there in FT Land.
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
T8191- are you drunk?

Having been to the Caribbean numerous times, Barbados is probably the last place on my list to return. Naff 4-class dorm 777 and I find it fairly overpriced! Antigua and St.Lucia are much better options, especially St.Lucia as there is a lot more to do there, like go and visit the Pitons. The landing into UVF is also pretty spectacular, you get a full view of the island which is beautiful!

We are looking forward to our holiday to the DR in 2 weeks time- apparently the heavy rains which are currently occuring will shift, and a local friend tells me that this is seasonal to happen at this time. July is one of the drier months (driest in summer) and temperatures reach 33/34C. We are staying in Bayahibe, a small paradise which is an hour and a half away from touristy Punta Cana. 5* resort, 7 a-la-carte restaurants, many exclusive golf courses nearby like Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore etc.

The prices sound fairly good for December, but we paid 2400pp for 2 weeks in the DR with CW flights. Villas in Greece were extortionately priced, so we thought this would be a nice alternative. Rainfall is half of that in St.Lucia in the summer months, and our 10 day holiday there in August 2010 only had 1 day rained off. Have a little look around at the other islands like St.Lucia, Antigua, Granada and St.Kitts and Nevis, you might find a better deal there. If it was me, I would avoid Barbados...
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eddy67 View Post
What are the resorts in BGI you are being offered as this to me seems the only variable ???
We're whittling the lists all the time, hopping between TripAdvisor, the resort websites, BA and Google Earth ... different panes open everywhere on the wonderful iMac

Possibles include ...
The Crane
Crystal Cove
Almond Beach Club
Colony Club

The challenge is fighting our way through the marketing bullshot ... and never ever having tried this 'all-inclusive' approach

Search this Thread