My first award booking - too good to be true?

Old Jun 7, 11, 1:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Troposphere (mostly)
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Posts: 446
My first award booking - too good to be true?

Now that I'm sitting on a tidy little stack of miles, and now that I have the dates for my next rotation to the UK this autumn, I thought I'd go ahead and investigate some kind of award booking putting to use all the tricks I've gleaned from this forum. I did not expect, however, that it would make such an incredible difference!

For comparison, my most recent trip was booked YVR-LHR in WT+, return in CW, and came out to about C$3500, all-cash, for a non-flex ticket. This is not what I actually ended up flying, but that is another story.

This time, I'm looking at booking not to LHR, but through to AMS. WT+ out and MFU to CE/CW on the return. Utilising stopovers I can spend a week in London, fly to AMS and back in one day (preferably out of LCY) have another week in London, and then complete back to YVR. On this itinerary its quoting me only C$2098 and it looks like the tickets are fully flex? But here's the part I really can't believe: the one-way MFU costs me 12,500 miles, but by my math I will earn 12,782 miles so the upgrade pays for itself! Is this possible or is there a catch I've missed? About the only thing I can see to complain about is even sitting on 300 TPs now it still wont get me to Silver.

Also, since this is considered an award booking, will the outbound be eligible for any sort of upgrade if I decide to later: either a POUG, regular cash, more miles, or not at all?

Thanks.
wind-blownmind is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 3:04 am
  #2  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,992
The catch is that there will be a big miles devaluation soon, so book it now while you can!
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 3:32 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The catch is that there will be a big miles devaluation soon, so book it now while you can!
Cite?
OPebble is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 3:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SW18, UK
Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Posts: 1,297
Your sums may be a little out. MFU from WT+ to CW, one way LHR to YVR costs 12,500 miles. That's correct.

One way, LHR to YVR it earns 4,713 miles. There's a cabin bonus of 25% for having booked into WT+, which is a further 1178, bringing the total to 5,891. There are also status bonuses if you are Silver or Gold, but by the sound of it you are blue.
Greg66 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:17 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Posts: 1,614
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The catch is that there will be a big miles devaluation soon, so book it now while you can!
Really when and by how much?
binman is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London WC2/W1
Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Posts: 6,627
Originally Posted by wind-blownmind View Post
But here's the part I really can't believe: the one-way MFU costs me 12,500 miles, but by my math I will earn 12,782 miles so the upgrade pays for itself!
It's not so much your "math" as your logic which is wrong. There is no sense in which the upgrade pays for itself. Instead, the rest of the trip pays for the upgrade. If you did the trip without the upgrade, you'd have 12,500 miles more in your account at the end of the trip.

Your argument is a bit like saying: I'm doing a round the world trip in first class, paid in cash, apart from one small sector booked as a redemption. I do the calculation and discover I earn more miles than I spend on the trip overall. So "the redemption pays for itself". Err, no.

But it is true that WTP to CW MFUs are particularly good value.
LeisureFirst is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London WC2/W1
Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Posts: 6,627
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Cite?
No citation necessary. It's bleeding obvious: something has to give.
LeisureFirst is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:36 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,128
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
No citation necessary. It's bleeding obvious: something has to give.
Let's stick to what we know. Wild speculation is pretty pointless.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Let's stick to what we know. Wild speculation is pretty pointless.
You do realise you're on FT, don't you? Wild speculation is expected, if not mandatory!

I'm not convinced there will be a devaluation any time soon. I think the thing that has to give is redemption availability and we're already seeing evidence of that one many routes.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 5:16 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,128
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
You do realise you're on FT, don't you? Wild speculation is expected, if not mandatory!
Quite right. There is, however a difference between:

(1) "me mate in the pub, yeah, well e's got this bird what e's shaggin' and she's like pickin' up 'er dauter from her ex-boyfriend yeah, and e's like goin' on about on about ow alls his shoppin' at Tesco ain't worth fir nofin' cause like the points you need to get to Lanzarotte is goin' up by like a lot,"

and

(2) "I was talking recently with my brother-in-law, who is the co-head of yield management at BA, and he mentioned during our fondue dinner that the company will add a three-class 777 service to BKK for the next winter timetable because of the high demand for that route from December to March. That should make award redemptions a little easier."
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 5:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London WC2/W1
Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Posts: 6,627
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Quite right. There is, however a difference between:

(1) ...
and

(2) ....
The main difference is you wrote them in two difference languages - so much so, that it overwhelms any other difference you want us to notice!
LeisureFirst is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 8:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Posts: 1,614
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
You do realise you're on FT, don't you? Wild speculation is expected, if not mandatory!

I'm not convinced there will be a devaluation any time soon. I think the thing that has to give is redemption availability and we're already seeing evidence of that one many routes.
OMG...surely it cannot get any worse??? What will they fill the aircraft with...staff??
binman is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:12 am
  #13  
TBA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
The main difference is you wrote them in two difference languages - so much so, that it overwhelms any other difference you want us to notice!
hehehe..!!

That made my afternoon.
TBA is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:28 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,128
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
The main difference is you wrote them in two difference languages - so much so, that it overwhelms any other difference you want us to notice!
Tough crowd today!
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:36 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK oop north
Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
me mate in the pub, yeah, well e's got this bird what e's shaggin' and she's like pickin' up 'er dauter from her ex-boyfriend yeah, and e's like goin' on about on about ow alls his shoppin' at Tesco ain't worth fir nofin' cause like the points you need to get to Lanzarotte is goin' up by like a lot
Oi, saands raht t' me
YorkieFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread