Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do you expect from status in a loyalty programme?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

Today I was finalizing some last minute things for my upcoming trip to Canada when I realized that the convertible I rented at Budget was a scam. If you take it outside of the state of BC you start paying through the nose. Bummer, convertibles are rare. I logged onto Hertz where I am a President Circle and found a Mustang for E 749 for 20 days. Not bad at all but it included all sorts of insurances I don't need. I called the Hertz Gold line in the US to try to get me a rate without the insurances. A lot went wrong and now all of a sudden all I got was a E 920 rate. I stood my ground and finally got the Hertz Employee discount so I am only paying E 559,- now. Then I noticed I wasn't surprised since I expected them to sort it out because I am 'important' to them.

Thinking back I did the same to CX when the left me stranded in Bali, missing my first flight on a DONE5 (RTW ticket where you can't change the first flight) which was technically a different PNR so not their problem. Still, as a First Class passenger and OW Emerald, I expected them to sort it all out while I was relaxing in my 5 star hotel paid for by CX. And so it happened.

In hotels I expect to be upgraded, get late checkouts, etc and I do all take it for granted. I always expect to be helped by a supervisor at the call centres. Has status turned me into one of those people with a false sense of entitlement? Am I know a spoiled little brat?

What do you expect from having status (BA or otherwise) and do you (ab)use it to get your way? Be honest...

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Today I was finalizing some last minute things for my upcoming trip to Canada when I realized that the convertible I rented at Budget was a scam. If you take it outside of the state of BC you start paying through the nose.
How do you mean take it out of the province of B.C.? If you are driving it into the U.S. then yes you would have to tell them but if you are dropping it off at the same place as you picked it up why would it cost more to drive it in Alberta or the Yukon for example? I do it every summer driving rental cars from Calgary into the Rockies and B.C. and back and I've never paid extra and that is on Budget rentals as well.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
How do you mean take it out of the province of B.C.?
From the T&C

• Allowed only with permission from Budget office. Canada: Unlimited kilometers are only available for travel within British Columbia. Travel to, or within any other province is strictly prohibited. Customers driving within other provinces will be charged $0.50 CAD per km, for every km driven, during the entire rental. USA: Only available within the state of Washington. Additional charges up to $10.00 per day will be applied to the rental. Travel to, or within any other state is strictly prohibited. Customers driving within other states will be charged $0.50 CAD per km, for every km driven, during the entire rental.
Apparently the use the GPS on the cars to check and they charge you an arm and a leg upon return. It is typical for the YVR location though*. They got an F from the Better Business Bureau because the scam customers a lot. Also with made up damages.

* It is a franchise. Always be careful with franchises.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
What I expect from such programs, have to admit I only belong to one, BA. Just that if anything goes wrong they can fix it for me. But then I would want them to do it for the rest as well.

As for the hotels, I stay at the same brand and they know what I like and furnish it for me. They do give me late check out when I ask for it, no matter how late without paying half a day. My room has everything that I like in it. Really mainly an Ipod dock, and my pillows. But then they really go over board for me. The once stored 8 suitcases, yes 8 for 2 months.

Planned my daughter's surprise bday for me and took care of everything. No it wasn't at the hotel and no I wasn't staying there at the time. Have helped my kids with reservations or inquiries if they needed them. That is why I stay there.

Besides those 2 am not loyal to anyone or anything.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Apparently the use the GPS on the cars to check and they charge you an arm and a leg upon return. It is typical for the YVR location though*. They got an F from the Better Business Bureau because the scam customers a lot. Also with made up damages.

* It is a franchise. Always be careful with franchises.
That is a scam and I don't understand why as their insurance should cover them in all provinces. Especially since a lot of people would rent a car at YVR and at least drive into Alberta for Banff,Lake Louise and Jasper. I always fly into YYC rather than YVR so I haven't run into that BS fortunately.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

What do you expect from having status
Open Doors
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Open Doors
To be honest, I was rather surprised that this did not come with M&M Senator or FB Plat. It limited my lounge explorations... It did not 'feel' right that other programmes only wanted me when I flew them. At least now we are all the same but it still feels like 'the club' has become a little less special.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Apart from the obvious stated benefits I would say the main benefit is when something goes wrong.
AF treated us differently when we miss-connected compared to our fellow non status travellers. Better class hotel and overnight amenity kits compared to the Ibis and no amenity kits.
I've found top hotel status rather inconsistent. From fantastic - the Hyatt Chain to ruddy awful...the Accor/Carlson chains.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

I've found top hotel status rather inconsistent. From fantastic - the Hyatt Chain to ruddy awful...the Accor/Carlson chains.
Has your Travelodge Platinum Card been of any use?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
For me, in order of importance:

FOR AIRLINES

1. Place in pecking order when things go wrong.
2. Priority ground services (checking in, boarding).
3. Extra miles or tier points in line with status.
4. Lounge access.
5. Would the occasional upgrade for someone who has "one of those faces that doesn't get upgraded" be too much to ask for?

FOR HOTELS

1. Not to be walked on arrival.
2. To get the accounting right with respect to my credit card.
3. An upgrade in line with my status.
4. How about posting the points for my stay since you must know by now that I'll force them out of you?

(all of the above points with the Hotel Zimbabwe in mind)
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Has your Travelodge Platinum Card been of any use?
No Travelodges here I'm afraid.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Apart from the obvious stated benefits I would say the main benefit is when something goes wrong.
AF treated us differently when we miss-connected compared to our fellow non status travellers. Better class hotel and overnight amenity kits compared to the Ibis and no amenity kits.
Fully agree on both counts. And pretty much with internaut's post too.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: You mean the cards at the bottom of my desk drawer? BAEC, FB, BA PP Amex, LHW...never any status...
Originally Posted by Internaut

FOR HOTELS

1. Not to be walked on arrival.
Sorry, I'm probably being thick but what does this mean?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Esharpest
Sorry sir, I don't know who you are and have no record of your booking. We are full tonight. Now, may I respectfully request you leave our property? What? Do you think it's our problem to find you alternative hotel? Might I respectfully suggest you ---- and die sir?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Esharpest
Essentially, when a hotel is oversold, they put people in other hotels- ESP a problem with late check ins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.