Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cash upgrade from WT to WT+ - only Eco miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 11:22 am
DTS
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat

Hi there,
last weekend I flew ORD-LHR and in CHicago I upgraded for cash from WT to WT+ at the airport, my boardingpass said "W" afterwards, this should give me WT+ TPs and miles, right?
Today I checked my online account statement and I only got 30TPs and 100% miles.

From your experience, will this be updated or should I contact BA/claim missing miles online?
Old May 31, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You need to contact them to claim - happens all the time (there's a clinic thread about it somewhere).

In my experience they're very good with making sure you get fair TPs - they rapidly gave me back a bunch of Tier Points that I argued had been "lost" because the timing of the correct posting of a WT+ upgrade (like yours) meant I made it to Silver with 80 more points than I should have had and this was 5 months after the event (not to mention the fact that that re-posting pushed me into Gold!)...
Old May 31, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Happened to me and the Wife too, on a WT+ to CW cash upgrade. 2 minute phone call and the extra miles and TPs were credited within a week or so.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I upgraded LHR-ORD last December from WT to WT+ for £179 and I got 60 TPs for the sector. I was initially told at the desk that I wouldn't get WT+ TPs so I was only expecting 30 TPs.

My BP said "W" too but I clearly go TPs for full fare Y....not really sure why this happened...the extra 30 TPs were a nice surprise!

Maybe you could try to claim the extra TPs using the online miles claim tool? Else contact BAEC by phone...
Old May 31, 2011, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Definitely need to contact, I think only by phone - or at least that's the best way.

Systems are not set up for these to post automatically but BA can look into the record and it confirms the upgrade which was paid.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by DTS
Hi there,
last weekend I flew ORD-LHR and in CHicago I upgraded for cash from WT to WT+ at the airport, my boardingpass said "W" afterwards, this should give me WT+ TPs and miles, right?
Upgrades at the airport, even for cash, do not officially attract the additional TPs or miles of the higher class (at least that is what I have been told when accepting a cash upgrade at the airport). Some telephone agents seem willing to add them, though, so worth a try!
Old May 31, 2011, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by jimcbob
Upgrades at the airport, even for cash, do not officially attract the additional TPs or miles of the higher class (at least that is what I have been told when accepting a cash upgrade at the airport). Some telephone agents seem willing to add them, though, so worth a try!
Yes they do, but you have to write in for them. Confirmed by Nicci (BA Executive Club) some while ago.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jimcbob
I'm not sure who told you this - I don't think the Check In staff generally (with obvious exceptions) are that well informed on what generates TPs... I have been told this before at check-in as well I believe but have never (having done these upgrades frequently) had an issue getting the TPs logged by phone agents.

99% certain that paid for upgrades (even if at reduced airport fee) qualify for full TPs of whatever class you end up in.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Yes they do, but you have to write in for them. Confirmed by Nicci (BA Executive Club) some while ago.
Beat me to it (and better informed than I will ever be as always)
Old May 31, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by wanderingswede
I'm not sure who told you this - I don't think the Check In staff generally (with obvious exceptions) are that well informed on what generates TPs... I have been told this before at check-in as well I believe but have never (having done these upgrades frequently) had an issue getting the TPs logged by phone agents.

99% certain that paid for upgrades (even if at reduced airport fee) qualify for full TPs of whatever class you end up in.
Yes. Checkin staff are not trained in the Exec Club whatsoever AFAIK so they would know.

Just to clear it up. A WT to WT+ cash upgrade done at the airport should yield TP and miles for WT+. Not cheap WT, not full fare WT. A full 75TP for longhaul.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Isn't 'W' the booking class for WTP?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
If I recall W is non flexible WTP. But yes, it is WTP which ever way.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:39 am
DTS
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Update:
Called them (EC) on June 1st, the agent was able to see the upgrade, the new booking class and how much I paid. Told me it would take them 7-10 days to credit the right amount of miles and TPs.

Yesterday I received this email:
(...)Unfortunately we are unable to credit your account on this occasion due to the following reason:
Please provide proof of your upgrade in the form of your upgrade voucher or credit card receipt, forward this to us at your earliest convenience. Please contact your local Service Centre with the details.(...)

Annoying...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DTS
Update:
Called them (EC) on June 1st, the agent was able to see the upgrade, the new booking class and how much I paid. Told me it would take them 7-10 days to credit the right amount of miles and TPs.

Yesterday I received this email:

Annoying...
Do you have the receipt they gave you when you upgraded at the airport? If so that will be sufficient. Take a copy and send it to the address shown online.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWFI
Yes. Checkin staff are not trained in the Exec Club whatsoever AFAIK so they would know.
Actually this is incorrect. We are trained about the Executive Club in our initial training and receive updates as part of ongoing training.

However, on a day to day basis check-in agents don't really have any involvement in the ins and outs of TPs and miles requred for various things so many agents don't have as much current knowledge as you, the member.

My knowledge is naturally higher because of my status and the desire to know what's going on with it.

Also the agents in the lounge, especially the LGW lounge, have far more knowledge as they're dealing with EC issues on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.