So why can't BA cook?

Old May 24, 11, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
So why can't BA cook?

Simple enough question... I have only been 'with BA' for 3 years now but I have never been impressed with the food either in the air or on the ground. Although I like the F breakfast and the bangers and mash in the Flounge.

I can only compare them to CX (much better), JL (much better), AA (much better), MH (much better), QF (lounge: much better. air: better) and KL/AF (better and sometimes the same but lounges worse, much worse).

So, has food on BA always been bad? Is this a British thing? How come?
Old May 24, 11, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Because you aren't paying enough for your tickets. Same goes for the poor food on LH QF AZ.......
Old May 24, 11, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
I thought some people liked an uncooked sausage...
Old May 24, 11, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I thought some people liked an uncooked sausage...

Here's my QF example...lukewarm chicken and dog vomit.

Old May 24, 11, 11:26 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
I flew BOS-LHR a few days ago for the first time in 18 months before which I used to do it monthly. Almost always in WT, sometimes WT+.

I was appalled by their breakfast offering in WT+. It consisted of: one prepackaged muffin and choice of drink. I asked for orange juice expecting them to come round with tea and coffee afterwards, but they never did.

I suppose I should be grateful that you can't bugger up a prepackaged muffin.
Old May 24, 11, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

At least you got a plate for your bread, and weren't gazing at your pudding all the time.

What was the empty white bowl for? I hesitate to ask
Old May 24, 11, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I think there are multiple issues with BA food.
First is the menu. Whoever created it must be thinking a nice restaurant on the ground. Many of their food has sauces which look good when its freshly made and poured nicely on a warm plate, but when you mix it with other stuff then re-heated in the oven, well the result can be awful.
Vegetables cooked on the ground then reheated in the air so they become so overcooked and tasteless that even the best quality organic vegetables become like a canteen food. Vegetables could be cooked in the air, needs nothing just a tray a water and cook it for 3 minutes. It will be then crunchy fresh and delicious.
Second major problem is that cabin crew doesn't cook at all. Mostly they just throw things in the oven reheat them and pour them on a plate. They could do much more especially on first class where you got 3 people for max 14 person. I agree you can't cook meat, etc, but a quiche could be cooked very easily.
So I think the menu should be redesigned and utilise cabin crew more especially on long day flights. Tesco, M&S they all invented half cooked food decades ago and everyone can make a nice dinner without to know anything how to cook. I'm not saying to compete with a 5 star restaurant, but a nice decent food is possible.
Business class would be harder to improve but possible to do more, especially to design a proper menu.
Probably they don't need a very famous chef who knows nothing flying, but a decent cook with an experience I guess would help a lot.
Old May 24, 11, 12:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

I've seen much worse on QF!
Old May 24, 11, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It CAN be done ... it was done by a BA CC in J on my eastbound TATL last week.

Perfectly cooked short rib of beef, with al dente vegetables!

At least one young member of CC is able to follow the instructions and produce a delicious meal: I know it was him, because I asked who was responsible! So perhaps, before we all blame BA, we could examine why some LHR-based CC can ... and some can't?
Old May 24, 11, 12:41 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Simple enough question... I have only been 'with BA' for 3 years now but I have never been impressed with the food either in the air or on the ground. Although I like the F breakfast and the bangers and mash in the Flounge.

I can only compare them to CX (much better), JL (much better), AA (much better), MH (much better), QF (lounge: much better. air: better) and KL/AF (better and sometimes the same but lounges worse, much worse).

So, has food on BA always been bad? Is this a British thing? How come?
Darling, I hate to say this but I think that they think that the British will eat any old thing -'twill do as my Irish Grandmother would have said. As long as there's plenty of stodge they'll eat it. They are paying less and less for the catering and this is the result. In all the years that I have been flying I cannot remember the food being so mediocre and as for the second meal - don't even go there. I am embarrassed. by what they give us to give you. However, given how BA seems joined to Gate Gourmet (sic) at the hip and the clown who is the Executive Chef was so thick that he did not even know that altitude changes taste - then what can one expect.

What is so frustrating is that we pick up better out of station than in our home base. I have to add the AA's food is not as good when catered out of London as opposed to what they uplift in the USA. What I do not have is a basis of comparison with similar carriers and reading here - I am amazed when I read that others are not much cop either.

All I will say is that I flew to TXL on BD last week and the Upgrade Fairy waved her wand. We sat in a luxurious seat (I think that this was an A320 that is used to the Middle East) which was a proper Business Class seat (worthy of F in the US). We were given a proper meal tray with a salad, a hot course that was delicious, and a desert. I came home with BA in CE. We got a salad that looked as though it had been thrown on the plate. That was it. BA gave Champagne, BD gave drinkable wine and Gin with cheap and nasty mixers. BD won hands down.

Please do not think that it gives me any pleasure to report that about the airline that I fly for.
Old May 24, 11, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
What was the empty white bowl for? I hesitate to ask
Salad leaves....the wife got all six of them.
Old May 24, 11, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Iím starting to wonder if the food problems are ever going to be addressed by BA, we've new catering changes supposed to be in this month and it seems they havenít materialised. Iím starting to wonder if they ever will.

Surely BA should have learned something from complaints.
Old May 24, 11, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Same for poor little paupers like me down the back, I'm afraid. Having had the food on Qatar, Emirates and BMI long haul (in both Y and in J, which was nothing short of superb), I'm afraid BA just doesn't compare. Still, it's not inedible and it's not Air Pacific (cold sandwiches, even in an otherwise very enjoyable J for the overnight flights).
Old May 24, 11, 1:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
What I do not have is a basis of comparison with similar carriers and reading here - I am amazed when I read that others are not much cop either.
I confess that LX and JL catering, and even TK catering (yes I admit to having flown TK quite a few times) is better. LX and JL being substantially better. LH catering is also better, I'm sad to report. Also, presentation of the meals are better on other carriers. JL wins on this count. I'm looking forward to trying NH F before long for comparison.

All I will say is that I flew to TXL on BD last week and the Upgrade Fairy waved her wand. - snip - We were given a proper meal tray with a salad, a hot course that was delicious, and a desert.
I had no idea BD to TXL in business class served proper meals. I must upgrade with an eVoucher I get next time.

Actually, BD serves a hot panini down the back on that route too. I'm guessing that BA serves packet of crisps etc, apart from at breakfast time? (I admit that I have not flown BA on that route as I need BD miles at the moment more than OW flights and BD does not fly many routes I need to fly.) BD's fillings of those hot paninis are a bit odd though. They fill it with really stretchy cheese and I struggle to eat it neatly. It's also always a vegetarian filling, e.g. cheese and tomato, cheese, pesto and tomato, cheese, pesto and spinach etc.
Old May 24, 11, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze
When I was doing the VCC thing, I was shocked to see some of the food we were serving in club. We had a risotto which just looked like prison slop. As PG says food is often better at outstations. That muppet of an exec head chef deserves to be sacked for thinking food does not taste different at 30000 ft.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: