Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mac123
19.00 LHR-GLA has just been cancelled. I got a text!!
All BA, BMI and Ryanair flights to EDI and GLA cancelled for the rest of today. Its also impacting flights to NCL, other Scottish airports and City of Derry Airport.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Aero_Safety
I got it wrong . Advice from CAA/ EASA / Eurocontrol is that the airspace will not be closed. The airlines themselves must perform a safety risk assessment and have it accepted by their national airworthiness authority. This means this time the decison to fly is with the airline not ATC. To date no airline has applied to the UK CAA to operate in High density ash which is most of Scotland tomorrow

Also the current bad weather up here means that the forecast is inaccurate so they know there will be disruption but not when or where to any real degree of confidence.

regards

Aero_Safety
The latest update we got from BAA/NATS/CAA is that no flights will be allowed in high-density areas and that airlines can only apply to fly through low or medium-density areas. Although it doesn't make clear whether that applies to UK or European airspace, or both.

"Eurocontrol designates three distinct areas of ash cloud concentration. In the higher ash concentration area no flights are permitted, but in lower concentration areas NATS no longer close airspace. Instead they leave airlines to decide whether to fly or not based on their own safety risk assessment. Airline risk assessments have to be registered with the CAA, in the case of UK carriers, or their own national authorities for aircraft registered outside of the UK. This means that while the risk of disruption is present, it could be more contained than last year."
Old May 24, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I spotted MOL mouthing off again this morning on BBC News, but it seems his ash spotting flight has been debunked by the CAA according to flightglobal.

Looks like they flew around for a while somewhere over Scotland, had a look out of the window and decided they couldn't see anything.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:45 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Originally Posted by mac123
19.00 LHR-GLA has just been cancelled. I got a text!!
All BA, BMI and Ryanair flights to EDI and GLA cancelled for the rest of today. Its also impacting flights to NCL, other Scottish airports and City of Derry Airport.
Interesting that LDY is "in the zone" and 46 miles away, BFS isn't. I'm struggling to see evidence of learnings from last year, other than widespread buck-passing by authorities to airlines.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Do you always slip into Portguese (or is it French?) when abbreviating the names of Spanish football teams? That's certainly not a Spanish spelling.
On the Barcelona website, they use that spelling.

Anyway, the big game is tomorrow in Dublin

Not looking forward to an early morning drive to Edinburgh to be bumped and miss the game.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Do you always slip into Portguese (or is it French?) when abbreviating the names of Spanish football teams? That's certainly not a Spanish spelling.
I can't say I'm an expert, but anyone who has spent time there knows that Barcelona is not in a Spanish speaking country. The official language is Catalan.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:40 pm
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
BA ash test flight just returning to LHR now

BA9271 flew from LHR then did high-level circuits over ABZ, then to MAN, low level to NCL then towards EDI, GLA now back towards LHR. I'll post a screenshot from flightradar24 once I can get my image on a website.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
OT: Flights diverted/cancelled due to Iceland volcanic ash ..

Sorry, after I posted I noticed the sticky.

Last edited by tmac100; May 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm Reason: Redundant question...
Old May 24, 2011, 10:26 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
If your journey originates in the EU you should be covered, as proven by Ryanair last year when they were the only carrier to not look after its passengers and fell foul of the law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...assengers.html

If you are originating outside of the EU then I have no idea
Old May 24, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
If your journey originates in the EU you should be covered, as proven by Ryanair last year when they were the only carrier to not look after its passengers and fell foul of the law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...assengers.html

If you are originating outside of the EU then I have no idea
The EU is the primary factor here, if a carrier is going to the EU, from the EU or is owned in the EU then they are subject to the regulations
Old May 25, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver,
Volcano stops erupting

Just flashed up on Reuters that it is only emiting steam now.

Fingers crossed it stays that way, due out at 16.30 on Friday to MRU.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by pinkcat
The EU is the primary factor here, if a carrier is going to the EU, from the EU or is owned in the EU then they are subject to the regulations
Not quite right. If your carrier is:
- an EU carrier
- departing the EU

Then the comp rules apply.

The EU cannot enforce it on planes flying to the EU. So if a plane is flying NYC-LON and is not an EU carrier, then EU rules cannot apply. If it is flying LON-NYC, no matter where it is based, EU rules apply.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BATLV
If Keflavik is closed would it affect any TATL routings ( ETOPS impact and such) ?
They can route to use SFJ instead I think.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:08 pm

Time for a blow job again?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-to-erupt.html
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Please no... Going away next Thursday, we had a 8 month wait for this holiday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.