Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Icelandic Volcano erupts again [general discussion]

Old May 23, 2011, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It will all probably just blow over.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: OW E, *A RCC, BE P. IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, BW Diamond. AMEX Plat
Typical, tasked to go up to Sumburgh (of all places) next week so fingers crossed it doesn't blow south too much as I don't fancy being stranded there for a few days like the last one!!
Old May 23, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
BBC Breaking News tweet:

The UK Civil Aviation Authority sees likely disruption to flights on Tuesday due to volcanic ash from Iceland, Reuters reports

Doesn't sound promising.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by SHRMark
Typical, tasked to go up to Sumburgh (of all places) next week so fingers crossed it doesn't blow south too much as I don't fancy being stranded there for a few days like the last one!!
Oh, fantastic I'm not long back from there!

Loganair are now cancelling flights (tomorrow's BEB is gone for example), so I would watch the situation.

At least the ferry is a pleasant option to return on!
Old May 23, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Just back from LAX this afternoon (VS008) and our route was modified to avoid volcanic ash. We usually cruise over Greenland but we had a much more southernly course, spending much more time over the North Atlantic and eventually making landfall around Shannon, rather than coming in over Scotland. Didn't add too much to the time as we had some great tailwinds, but it doesn't look that great if the eruption is still going on...

Incidently, Terminal 3 was almost pleasant to pass through - it was very quiet, through immigration in 3 minutes or so to find my bag waiting for me. Plane door to car pickup in less than 15 minutes - shame I was stuck in the seat hell of 73Z or some such and it took me 20 mins to get off the wretched plane
Old May 23, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: BA bronze
Logan Air cancelling 40 flights tomorrow according to aunty Beeb.

Old May 23, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Quick google hasn't come up with the answer yet but we were just discussing here and trying to remember how long flights were grounded for last year ??
Old May 23, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Basset
Quick google hasn't come up with the answer yet but we were just discussing here and trying to remember how long flights were grounded for last year ??
Was it in round 10 days?
Old May 23, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
My LCY-EDI is now at NCL ! Along with a couple of other flights that were Scotland-bound but couldn't make it.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
My LCY-EDI is now at NCL ! Along with a couple of other flights that were Scotland-bound but couldn't make it.
Edinburgh airport now has an average windspeed of force 9, with gusts up to force 11 (remember, 12 is a hurricane!)... it's been steadily strenghthening here all afternoon
http://www.windfinder.com/report/edinburgh

Is your diversion wind or ash related?
Old May 23, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Looking at the weather in EDI I imagine the diversion is wind related

from http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGPH.html

Wind from the SW (230 degrees) at 47 MPH (41 KT) gusting to 68 MPH (59 KT)

70mph gust
Old May 23, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR & BAEC Lifetime Gold, VS Red, EK Blue, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriot Silver
I'm due to fly to TLV tomorrow. Going out wont be a problem but returning at the end of the week may be. I'd like to cancel but I'll lose money. I dont want to get stuck in TLV as I want to get home for a family birthday (mine!!) at the weekend!
Old May 23, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
A number of flights tomorrow are showing as " Awaiting Update" including mine to FCO.

Have no idea if this is connected to the ash cloud or not.

I called BA and they said they had no idea why my flight said "awaiting update" and that it was running as scheduled. OLCI worked so maybe its just a glitch.

Regards,

G-BPED
Old May 23, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Looking at the weather in EDI I imagine the diversion is wind related

from http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGPH.html

Wind from the SW (230 degrees) at 47 MPH (41 KT) gusting to 68 MPH (59 KT)

70mph gust
And sitting here in Edinburgh, it's strengthened a lot since 11 am!
Old May 23, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Edinburgh airport now has an average windspeed of force 9, with gusts up to force 11 (remember, 12 is a hurricane!)... it's been steadily strenghthening here all afternoon
http://www.windfinder.com/report/edinburgh

Is your diversion wind or ash related?
I was going to say, I guess its wind related rather than Ash. Its REALLY windy up here today. I think the Rapture has started a couple of days late.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.