Wiki Posts
Search

BA F to Mumbai last week...

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
BA F to Mumbai last week...

Flew New First on the 199 to Mumbai last week. I haven't flown BA to Mumbai for a long time (prefer AI) so it was heartening to see the 744 at the gate! I love that aircraft...

We were about 40% full in the cabin and we even had a celeb with us (Mr. Shah Rukh Khan) - top guy he was, no airs or graces when myself and a couple of others went to chat to him during the cruise phase of the flight. We must have chatted for about 30mins or so! Of course, that could be because we were all sitting in the same cabin and I had a better seat than him (1K vs. 2A). Maybe he wouldn't be so chilled had some bloke from 52E come up and meet him.

Anyways, crew were fair (but not exceptional). One chap was very friendly but the person in charge of the cabin was a right moody so-and-so. Probably had a fight with her husband before the flight. No warmth at all. But the other guy (who was very senior in age, can't be more than a few days away from retirement) was like one of those friendly pub landlords you see in the village. Really friendly, chatty and down-to-earth bloke.

Uneventful flight. Captain was an old-school RAF sort (spoke with the poshest accent I've ever heard on a BA flight) but he got us in 20mins early and made a smooth landing. Good job old boy (no seriously, he was THAT posh)!

1L and 2L were used for disembarkation, which was nice. Normally at Mumbai, 2L is used. Immigration smooth and bags out within literally 1min of the belt starting. Customs asked what flight I came on and waved me through, into the SEARING heat of Mumbai.

Will report on the return flight next week!
Old May 21, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
glad to hear that you had a good flight.......

how was the food ?

cs
Old May 21, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Lucky you meeting SRK!! ANd getting New First on BA as well!
Did you get a picture with him??
Old May 21, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PPS1
We were about 40% full in the cabin and we even had a celeb with us (Mr. Shah Rukh Khan) - top guy he was, no airs or graces when myself and a couple of others went to chat to him during the cruise phase of the flight. We must have chatted for about 30mins or so! Of course, that could be because we were all sitting in the same cabin and I had a better seat than him (1K vs. 2A). Maybe he wouldn't be so chilled had some bloke from 52E come up and meet him.
SRK was on the same flight as me once, BOM-LHR (AI), back in September 1996. During the flight, he came to the back of the plane and spent 30 minutes or so chatting to his public and signing autographs.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
We must have chatted for about 30mins or so!
A great experience I am sure. And on a night flight too!

I doubt that I would be so generous with 30 minutes of my time on a 9 hour red eye. It would be seat back and straight to bed for me.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Don't really know about the food since I had dinner beforehand in the lounge, but the old lady in 1A did and I must say it looked very nice. I think they served a chicken curry.

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture with him...I don't know but it just didn't seem right. Nobody else in the First cabin on that flight had a pic with him either - there was me, an old lady, some banker dude who looked like Gordon Gekko, a super hot chick and a rich man's son (i.e. a 15 year old wearing a Maradona limited edition Hublot...yes, I'm a big watch fan and this watch is very recognisable!)...I know that as we were disembarking, some people from the back did (and were gracefully given) pics and autographs.

Yes, he was generous with his time. We talked about all sorts and really, it was like talking to someone you've known for a really long time. I guess that's all part of his charm.

Let's hope I bump into someone else on the way back!
Old May 21, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Let's hope I bump into someone else on the way back!
I would quite like to bump into that Katrina Kaif and/or Priyanka Chopra. ^:-:
Old May 21, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I would quite like to bump into that Katrina Kaif and/or Priyanka Chopra. ^:-:
Oh yeeah!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.