Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So... what are the differences between Silver and Gold EC membership?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So... what are the differences between Silver and Gold EC membership?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YClass
F-lounges/check-in worldwide (usually quieter and smarter).
Some F lounges are significantly nicer but for many of them the difference is very marginal (although admittedly often quieter at peak times).
Old May 20, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Me too. I fly 5/6 longhauls a year and never had an upgrade.

My wife however, who is a Silver, was upgraded to F on her recent flight ( a 747 flight that was packed so I would have expected there to be GC holders ahead of her in the pecking order).

Seems to be luck of the draw.
I think it depends on the route too. I've had good luck, as a Silver, to/from SFO, LAS, LAX and DFW.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:13 pm

I too have been lucky,from PEK and PVG.

More importantly I am struggling to discern an appreciable difference between gold and silver and almost certainly will complete silver renewal then start building parallel status with VS. Shame.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by NickB
Some F lounges are significantly nicer but for many of them the difference is very marginal (although admittedly often quieter at peak times).
IMHO that applies mostly to QF SYD/MEL F and CX HKG F.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
I'm really finding this a hard question. I barely ever use a check-in desk anyway, so that's not important. Tier miles are the same. I rarely redeem in Y (and certainly non long haul). I think I'm left with the First lounge and exit row seats intra Europe.

It depends a bit on the year, but I would say that every other year I have had to make an effort to maintain Gold - i.e. spend a few grand BA that I didn't need to (usually on routes where there's a more obvious competitor to go with).

I'm fast running out of reasons to carry on my loyalty.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Genius1
The main benefits for me are;

• oneworld First Class lounge access
  • QF Business lounge access when travelling QF Y domestically
  • oneworld First Class check-in
  • Front row seat selection in CE/UK Domestic
  • Preferential seating on some other oneworld airlines
  • Preferential treatment (upgrades, irregular operations etc.)

I value/use some of these benefits more than others.
That about sums it up for me with the exception of the QF part. One other potential benefit of Gold I could maybe see is the soft-landing to silver. I could foresee a situation where my travel dried-up and having gold effectively gives me two years of continued status (assuming I can always get 4 sectors on BA metal).
Old May 20, 2011, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm surprised that some Golds don't even know what the full benefits of having it are.
Today's news on the loss of Open Doors was probably met by some Golds as...... Open what?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The main benefits for me are;

• oneworld First Class lounge access
  • QF Business lounge access when travelling QF Y domestically
  • oneworld First Class check-in
  • Front row seat selection in CE/UK Domestic
  • Preferential seating on some other oneworld airlines
  • Preferential treatment (upgrades, irregular operations etc.)

I value/use some of these benefits more than others.
While these may be the max you can get how many actually make a difference a lot during the year apart form a big holiday? To me not at all.

Yes F lounges are nice but not much better than J

Haven't been to OZ for years so nothing to me

F checki in Vs J, yes can be nice but at T5 I never use it as I take the first empty desk

Gave up on CE a while back and on domestic I don't mind missing row one
Old May 20, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
For me the only real benefits are f-lounge out of T5 and the slightly better care when it all goes wrong. That's it.

If you fly in WT+ then you would probably see more upgrades as a result of gold. I've not tested that, flying CW I've never been upgraded.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It may be unpublished, but I think it is also possible to get seat selection for someone travelling with you on a different booking?
Old May 20, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The gold card looks nicer. ^
Old May 20, 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by britbronco22
It may be unpublished, but I think it is also possible to get seat selection for someone travelling with you on a different booking?
Yes, that is a good point. It worked seamlessly last month when I was on a paid booking, and had my mother (Blue) join me using a redemption ticket for one part of the journey. 64 A/B were right there for us (well, 64J had settled into 64A, but that was another matter and quickly sorted).

If enough people remind me of little things like this - or BA makes such benefits official - maybe I will be bothered to renew gold next time around!
Old May 20, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

I'm surprised that some Golds don't even know what the full benefits of having it are.
Matched only by my lack of surprise that, not for the first time, you've got so much to say about a subject that doesn't even impact upon you (unless you are playing your BAEC Gold card close to your chest).
Old May 20, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
(unless you are playing your BAEC Gold card close to your chest).
We have yet to work out why HIDDY was in the T5 F lounge prior to his ET flight to FRA, when he claims neither he nor his wife has a Gold card, wasn't guested in, and wasn't connecting from F

I reckon he's a serial TP runner at heart.
Old May 20, 2011, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
(unless you are playing your BAEC Gold card close to your chest).
Gold?.....Pah!!!

I reckon he's a serial TP runner at heart.
Why bother.....when I can send the wife to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.