Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Old May 28, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No such thing, however I do have to ask why those who say they don;t care are spending so much time on this thread, claiming that few care, despite the fact that this is one of the most viewed and posted on threads ever on the BA forum on FT and is only a week old.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by hfly
No such thing, however I do have to ask why those who say they don;t care are spending so much time on this thread, claiming that few care, despite the fact that this is one of the most viewed and posted on threads ever on the BA forum on FT and is only a week old.
  1. I suggest you reread the thread. I can't find any evidence for your position.
  2. I suggest you reorganize the thread page by clicking on replies and see what other threads are popular. That is enlightening in itself. This thread is on page 2 just behind 'OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread' and closely followed by the masterpiece 'Grrrr Moscow'
  3. I think that there is hardly any 'uprising by the masses' instead it is maybe 10 people debating the subject and creating the posts/views.
  4. I still believe you make this too personal.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Even more frightening is the fact that there are a few train spotters on this forum as well.
HIDDY, you should really get your terminology modernised. The correct term now is actually "Railway enthusiasts".

Last edited by Prospero; May 30, 2011 at 11:39 am Reason: thread clean up
Old May 28, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even more frightening is the fact that there are a few train spotters on this forum as well.
:wave: though I called myself a basher.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby
@hfly

Your arguments don't make much sense to me (probably my fault) but you do seem to imply that if one does not agree with you (i.e. sees the evil that is BA) one is either an idiot, a charlatan or an impostor. That seems like a rather peculiar way of trying to prove the merit of your position.
It's not just you; I've got the same issue. I tried to formulate another response, but didn't know where to start and gave up. I'm reminded of the old "Be careful who you argue with" proverb.

My thoughts, in summary:

- BA removed this benefit to save money
- A small percentage of people use this benefit a small number of times
- An even smaller percentage use it a disproportionate number of times, and BA feel they are abusing the spirit of the benfit
- An even smaller percentage are bothered by its impending removal to bother doing something about it
- If I was Gold, I'd be upset that something is being taken away, but I doubt I'd do anything about it

And the football has just kicked off soon, so I'll stop there and add any more later
Old May 28, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
It's not just you; I've got the same issue. I tried to formulate another response, but didn't know where to start and gave up. I'm reminded of the old "Be careful who you argue with" proverb.

My thoughts, in summary:

- An even smaller percentage use it a disproportionate number of times, and BA feel they are abusing the spirit of the benfit
- An even smaller percentage are bothered by its impending removal to bother doing something about it
- If I was Gold, I'd be upset that something is being taken away, but I doubt I'd do anything about it

And the football has just kicked off soon, so I'll stop there and add any more later
Pretty much agree with all of that. ^

And the second half is just starting, one all and a cracking game so far!
Old May 28, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold.
All pretty much true

The thing that hacked me off was the communications chap (or chapess) who failed to get a job as a spin doctor with Nu Labour and managed to get some kind of role with BA is now sending me carp emails that offend me.

He was writing for the wrong audience. Someone with time on their hands could work out what the minimum cost is to make gold - it will come out to be a decent sum of cash.

People who spend that sort of money on flying will not be Sun readers so don't expect me to swallow "we have made it better for you"
Old May 28, 2011, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I love trains, though wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a spotter.

As a young girl I always wanted a train set rather than a doll!
Old May 28, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by bren586
All pretty much true

The thing that hacked me off was the communications chap (or chapess) who failed to get a job as a spin doctor with Nu Labour and managed to get some kind of role with BA is now sending me carp emails that offend me.

He was writing for the wrong audience. Someone with time on their hands could work out what the minimum cost is to make gold - it will come out to be a decent sum of cash.

People who spend that sort of money on flying will not be Sun readers so don't expect me to swallow "we have made it better for you"
That isn't actually true. A large percentage of Gold EC Card Holders are actually a result of company travel, not funded by themselves. Some will not be aware of the financial sides of things and the fares will have been agreed in advance etc.

I agree this situation may not have been dealt with in a satisfactory fashion, but let's not start getting personal about BA's Gold Card Holders.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Henky, here is an exact cut and paste that I get when I order by replies, which puts this in 7th place when ignoring the sticky. When I look at it in VIEWS it is now NUMBER 1 besides the sticky. Now you are not th eonly person to have said that my count is/was off, so now I ask you, if there are others out there (and I do not see Grrrr Moscow for example and I DO remember that being a big thread, how do I see the others?

In any case, the next "newest" topic I see was started Feb 10/10, and the earliest I see is from 2006, the one we are on is 8 days old, so that would mean that it has attracted replies and views at a rate exponentially greater than the others..???

Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
Arrow
Sticky Thread Sticky: BA Forum Dashboard (please take a moment to read this sticky)
Grand Union started Jan 3, 11

Jan 3, 11 2:22 pm
by Grand Union Go to last post
6 17,752

Go to first new post Tracking NF [New First] (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
YClass started Feb 10, 10

Today 3:06 pm
by Genius1 Go to last post
1,620 155,564

Go to first new post MUCCI Roll Call (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Moomba started Jan 27, 07

May 25, 11 5:42 pm
by T8191 Go to last post
1,367 73,162

Go to first new post ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
G-BOAC started Nov 16, 06

Today 8:14 pm
by cressers Go to last post
1,299 129,915

Go to first new post Known BA Tier Point Runs at less than Ł1.25 per point (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
JonWB started Jan 28, 06

May 26, 11 2:48 pm
by AHO Go to last post
1,159 136,883

Go to first new post Help for your ba.com issues (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
BA Executive Club started Nov 9, 07

Yesterday 2:01 am
by potakas Go to last post
1,145 73,932
Arrow
Go to first new post Amex & BA - 2010 Master Thread (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Shuttle-Bored started Dec 29, 09

Today 11:07 am
by Sign47 Go to last post
912 62,530
You have 41 post(s) in this thread, last Today
new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds] (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Expatbear started May 20, 11

Today 9:18 pm
by sunrisegirl Go to last post
775 182,101

Go to first new post MASTER THREAD: Seat and flight availability (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Swanhunter started Jun 27, 09

May 26, 11 6:00 pm
by soco Go to last post
Old May 28, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: *A Senator; FB Gold ;-), BA Bronze ;-( More other plastic than I can carry!
Just back from Denver. Missed Volcano this time! Have only used open access twice in 8 years. Almost did this time as flying on LH was invited to United lounge in terminal B (seems Lufty no longer has a lounge in A?) while my flight was from terminal A i.e the location of the BA lounge. I think with all the rearranging going on in alliances and their lounges open doors is indeed a perk some of us would probably have used more in the future and reminded us of BA Gold value. Not happy it's gone.

Miles

Last edited by Miles Hunter; May 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Old May 28, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

My thoughts, in summary:

Well at least the best team won

I think you are missing a category of person, one which I feel some affinity with. I am a current GCH (9 years +) and no longer feel it is worth holding BA Gold anymore, thus any attempt to contact BA to add my 2p to the discourse is entirely pointless. This may be a relatively small group of people, but I don't see the point in retaining UK Gold anymore, and increasingly think even the Euro route isn't that worthwhile.

Is the end of OD the final straw to break the camels back? Honestly it isn't but it does make me feel better about a decision I have already reached. As such I just don't care enough about BA or BAEC to waste my breath trying to explain the error they have made. It has never worked terribly well in the past and I am just weary of the whole thing.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I love trains,
The British have a great affinity with trains....maybe not as much now as in years gone by right enough. Having being brought up when steam was still around I myself like the history which surrounds the railways.....although I wasn't a spotter like someone on here.

The British helped build the railways here you know. Evidence of which can still be seen in a lot of the railway station architecture. Don't think they've been improved since they were built.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hfly
Henky, here is an exact cut and paste that I get when I order by replies, which puts this in 7th place when ignoring the sticky. When I look at it in VIEWS it is now NUMBER 1 besides the sticky. Now you are not th eonly person to have said that my count is/was off, so now I ask you, if there are others out there (and I do not see Grrrr Moscow for example and I DO remember that being a big thread, how do I see the others?
Can I ask something? Once you do work out where in your table this thread lies, what are you going to do with the information?

Are you going to give the information to BA and hope it'll convince them to change their mind?

This thread shows for me as number 7 on Views (with Celebs on BA being number 1) and doesn't appear in the first page for Replies. I do note that the ratio of Replies to Views is significantly below the other threads with similar view counts, which lends credence to the idea that people are visiting the thread not to add to the condemnation of BA's action, but to read the latest pearls of wisdom of those posting here.

You should probably have a look back over the past few pages - there's only a handful of active posters on the thread now, with the odd newcomer. Others have been driven off by our endless witterings

I'm only still posting as HIDDY said early on in this thread that this change would be forgotten about in a few weeks and I'm trying to keep it alive as I'm fed up with him being right
Old May 28, 2011, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Others have been driven off by our endless witterings
Good to see my plan worked.

I shall go away now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.