Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
The only time I could have used it was Glasgow to Germany, where I couldn't access the BA lounge anyway...
Old May 20, 2011, 7:58 am

So the only benefits of gold( assuming you don't do enough points for CCR, GUF2, etc) are GF, a slight step up the pecking order on upgrades and maybe someone says welcome to you on board? If I've understood right, it seems a bit barmy to remove the incremental benefits to this extent, unless silver is about to loose lounge access of course....
Old May 20, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I suspect it is the EZY-flying hordes that have killed it off. But it hardly encouraged people to fly with their competitors
Perhaps they could have changed it so that you get entry if you're flying to a destination (ariport/city) where BA does not fly. So, those in EDI/MAN/NCL catching a EZY to any LON airport would not get in, but if they were flying to a non-BA destination, they'd be allowed it.

Probably too confusing/complex to enforce though.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Just got this email:

Dear Mr Johnny5a,

In the late 1990s, we introduced a benefit for our Gold Executive Club members that allowed our Gold customers (without any guests) to use the British Airways lounge when travelling on another airline, as long as this airline operated from the same terminal as British Airways. We called this benefit Anytime Access.

Today, through our extensive airline partnerships and the considerable growth of oneworld®, our Gold customers (with a guest) are now able to access the British Airways lounge in any of the following ways:

• When travelling on any British Airways operated flight
• When travelling on any British Airways codeshare flight operated by another airline
• When travelling on any oneworld airline operating from the same terminal as British Airways

Given the above, and also based on feedback we have received from Executive Club members, we have therefore taken the decision to withdraw Anytime Access from June 17 2011.

We know how important our lounges are to our Gold Executive Club members, and we want to ensure that they continue to be a place to work or relax away from the busy airport environment for customers who are flying with us and our oneworld partners.

For full details of your lounge access benefits, please click here

Warm regards,

James Hillier
Executive Club Manager
Old May 20, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Confirmed in an email...
Old May 20, 2011, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I suspect it is the EZY-flying hordes that have killed it off. But it hardly encouraged people to fly with their competitors.
Easyjet is a competitor though and on routes where profit margins are already at their tightest.

Is their any other FFP that offers such a benefit?

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Bah, too slow

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
email just landed in my in box

Dear Mr SwindonOil

In the late 1990s, we introduced a benefit for our Gold Executive Club members that allowed our Gold customers (without any guests) to use the British Airways lounge when travelling on another airline, as long as this airline operated from the same terminal as British Airways. We called this benefit Anytime Access.

Today, through our extensive airline partnerships and the considerable growth of oneworld®, our Gold customers (with a guest) are now able to access the British Airways lounge in any of the following ways:

• When travelling on any British Airways operated flight
• When travelling on any British Airways codeshare flight operated by another airline
• When travelling on any oneworld airline operating from the same terminal as British Airways

Given the above, and also based on feedback we have received from Executive Club members, we have therefore taken the decision to withdraw Anytime Access from June 17 2011.

We know how important our lounges are to our Gold Executive Club members, and we want to ensure that they continue to be a place to work or relax away from the busy airport environment for customers who are flying with us and our oneworld partners.

For full details of your lounge access benefits, please click

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
I was too slow
Old May 20, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Just received same email

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
also based on feedback we have received from Executive Club members

err I've not been asked

Programs: BA Silver; M+M Gold
Just had an email. Indeed Open Doors ends 17th June 2011. I have no idea where they went for their 'feedback'

Do IB top tier card holders still get open doors in IB lounges?

Last edited by UKBADGER; May 20, 2011 at 8:06 am Reason: IBERIA
Old May 20, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Just got the same email. Note, that in GVA this was already the case - you didn't have lounge access unless travelling on OW (in practice IB and I suppose Malev). I assume this was done to exclude you from the lounge if you were travelling EZY.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
"Based on feedback we have received..."? Do they seriously expect us to believe that Gold members have asked for this to be taken away?

Now that there is no additional miles bonus and no Anytime Access for Gold, the incentive to keep Gold is, frankly, gone. I fly Club World, so upgrades are very rare (and not that important, anyway). The only benefit I get is the use of First lounges but that doesn't make enough difference to justify changing my travel pattern to keep Gold now, if flying BA isn't the cheapest/best option.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Shouldn't this be referred to as an 'enhancement'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.