Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received Tier Points for flight not flown?

Old May 19, 2011, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

I never flew the return part of a transatlantic flight on BA last month. The ticket was non-refundable / non-exchangeable, and I had to change my route... So I booked a new ticket on a different carrier...

Anyway, a few days later, I was credited 30 Tier Points (equ. to a Economy Transatlantic Flight)... I did not even check-in online for that flight, so I was pretty surprised...

ANyone experience something similar?

Do I risk having the miles removed anytime soon if they find out? (It has been 6 weeks already)

(I was also credited all the miles for a transatlantic Lufthansa flight which I never flew, last year during the volcano crisis... but then, this was probabaly due to all the chaos of the time)
Old May 19, 2011, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe it can happen although very rare. They might disappear, they might not.

If you're worried about it PM Nicci - the BA official helper here, the flight number, date and your full name I'm sure she'll get it sorted out for you.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY

If you're worried about it PM Nicci
Old May 19, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by mahme
I never flew the return part of a transatlantic flight on BA last month. The ticket was non-refundable / non-exchangeable, and I had to change my route... So I booked a new ticket on a different carrier...

Anyway, a few days later, I was credited 30 Tier Points (equ. to a Economy Transatlantic Flight)... I did not even check-in online for that flight, so I was pretty surprised...

ANyone experience something similar?

Do I risk having the miles removed anytime soon if they find out? (It has been 6 weeks already)

(I was also credited all the miles for a transatlantic Lufthansa flight which I never flew, last year during the volcano crisis... but then, this was probabaly due to all the chaos of the time)

Did BA credit outbound and inbound flights ?

this would normally only happen if BA cancelled your flight due to things such as the volcanic ash, strike etc, then even if they re-route you they will credit you with the tp's and miles for the flights you would of taken.

cs
Old May 19, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, BA Gold
I was credited with tier points and miles a little while ago for a flight that I had cancelled. Got the out and inbound credited too. I'm happy enough as it will take me to gold that little bit quicker.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:16 am

Ladies and Gentlemen

Should you be the lucky recipient of TPs/Miles for sectors not flown, do you think it prudent:

a) to blog about it on here, where BA has an official presence and is likely to investigate and closedown any loopholes ESPECIALLY if sent details via PM of the flights in question

b) keep quiet about it and enjoy your good fortune, with the possibility others may "benefit" in the future

Your choice.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I know of one very specific loophole but as per above, it wouldn't be wise of me to discuss it here.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
My only experience of this was having boarded a flight which was subsequently delayed on tarmac for 2hrs due to tech issue - I chose to get off - but since b.pass had been scanned, TPs credited the next day.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Happened a couple of times in the past two years for domestic flights not taken due to strikes, volcanic ash and snow.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes.

But in the last year, the loopholes have become too small to jump through...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Did BA credit outbound and inbound flights ?

this would normally only happen if BA cancelled your flight due to things such as the volcanic ash, strike etc, then even if they re-route you they will credit you with the tp's and miles for the flights you would of taken.

cs
I flew the outbound flight indeed... To be honest, I never checked to see if the flight was cancelled or something happened, but since I hadn't checked in anyway, it shouldn't matter... And there was no specific incident at that time (such as volcanic ash...)
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oscietra
Ladies and Gentlemen

Should you be the lucky recipient of TPs/Miles for sectors not flown, do you think it prudent:

a) to blog about it on here, where BA has an official presence and is likely to investigate and closedown any loopholes ESPECIALLY if sent details via PM of the flights in question

b) keep quiet about it and enjoy your good fortune, with the possibility others may "benefit" in the future

Your choice.
Exactly why I don't reveal my name, FF number, booking date, route booked...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by oscietra
Ladies and Gentlemen

Your choice.
Exactly ^^^

Doesn't really matter. By talking about it means you risk closing any possible loopholes for anybody else.

Also, BA can sometimes ID people through here.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: OW Gold, Star Gold
Doesn’t matter, seriously, don't mean to be rude but please just shut up about it and let the thread go away rather than bringing it back 10 days later even though you can obviously see people are not happy about it.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Happened a couple of times in the past two years for domestic flights not taken due to strikes, volcanic ash and snow.
Surely they would have been flights that BA cancelled. If that were the case then they give you TPs and miles as if you had flown (this has been much discussed on here). The OP was talking about no-showing for the flight himself (although we haven't worked out if the flight was indeed subsequently cancelled)

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Exactly ^^^

Doesn't really matter. By talking about it means you risk closing any possible loopholes for anybody else.

Also, BA can sometimes ID people through here.
I'm not sure that this is a loophole though but we have had opportunities galore posted on here for which we have all been very grateful. Even those that have been closed off eventually. I suppose there is the dilemma of whether you share info and let everyone "benefit" for a short while.

As for the OP, if this were to happen to me, this would be one of those instances where I'd keep quiet. BA would have no trouble finding out who I am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.