Lounges for BA F out of DFW

Old May 13, 2011, 8:07 pm
KBW
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Lounges for BA F out of DFW

This will be my first BA F from DFW>LHR and I was wondering if I should try the BA lounge in terminal D or go with the AA Admirals Club a few doors down prior to departure.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, NZ Silver, CX
I can only quote from a post of mine last September on this subject. If it's improved since then somebody will no doubt inform you. Don't go near the place.

"I had been advised to give the BA lounge at DFW a miss and use the Admiral's Club instead so I first went to the AC. Nice open, airy lounge with pleasant service but only 2 coupons for drinks. Having used these, I thought I'd take a look at the BA lounge anyway. I shouldn't have bothered. It is a disgrace. J is a dark, pokey hole and F is a smaller, slighly lighter, even pokier hole off the main lounge. The lounge dragon's customer service skills had obviously been finely honed at Guantanamo Bay given the "welcome" I received. Oh well, I thought, I might as well have a drink to kill the remaining half an hour. Wrong! The "wines" on offer were utterly undrinkable, the centrepiece being "Yellowtail" which I can buy in my local discount grog shop in Sydney for around A$7 and which I wouldn't even use for cooking, The other stuff was el cheapo Argentinian and undrinkable American. If I'd had more time I'd have gone back to the AC. BA should shut this place down and direct passengers to the AC. It just tarnishes BA's image."
Old May 13, 2011, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The BA lounge is nice when it is quiet and has internet and better snacks such as sandwiches than the AA lounge

AA lounge in terminal D is good for an AA Admiral's club but internet access isnt free; if wanting to eat, the paid offerings in the AA lounge are better than the free options at BA but no food for free

As far as alcohol options go, not drinking I havent paid attention to current offerings in either lounge but last time I was there, the BA lounge did have perrier which AA didnt. Basic alcohol offerings are now free at the AA lounge iirc

Rather than rely on others reports, why not try the BA lounge and see what you think and if disappointed it's only a short distance to the AA one
Old May 14, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, SPG PLATINUM, MR GOLD, AX CENTURION, etc.
I would use the AA AC for the better atmosphere. If the two coupons are not enough I would pay the third drink. For the internet I would suggest a T-Mobile or AT&T Wi-Fi (20 USD/month) subsrciption if you travel more often.

But that is just my opinion ...
Old May 14, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
I was there yesterday. Perrier and, yes, Yellowtail were available and sandwiches as well. The Club side in particular got crowded towards 5pm, the F part not quite so much. Tarmac views are quite reasonable, and the lounge attendants yesterday forthcoming and friendly.

For anyone used to QF F lounge in SYD, BA's DFW lounge is obviously nothing special. Just try both and see yourself.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by timol
I was there yesterday. Perrier and, yes, Yellowtail were available and sandwiches as well. .
Sandwiches and perrier will def give the nod over the AA lounge then when I pass thru next month
Old May 14, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It's a pity AA don't have a flagship lounge at their base, bearing in mind you're in first, but yes, I'd recommend the large AA lounge. It has a nice atmosphere and when I've gone into the lounge using a Qantas Club card they've given me a couple of drinks vouchers. Food wise (and I might be getting this confused with another US lounge I've visited) I believe they have some pretty decent paid options (i.e. large toasted sandwiches, optionally served with soup and chips).

Oddly, the whole paid booze thing with US lounges doesn't bother me any more. A nice, quiet atmosphere and comfortable seating away from the hustle and bustle of the airport matter quite a bit (not that DFW Terminal D is a bad place to spend time).
Old May 14, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying Prof
BA should shut this place down and direct passengers to the AC. It just tarnishes BA's image."
It seems to be a third party lounge. No surprise, if BA only have one flight a day I suppose.

To be honest.....all this talk of having to buy food and drink in lounges is a joke. I'd rather use the terminal facilities. I've found out despite travelling in F on a 4 hour UA domestic flight you are entitled to bugger all in the way of lounge access. You gotta

The USA really do have some strange premium cabin flying rules.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be honest.....all this talk of having to buy food and drink in lounges is a joke. I'd rather use the terminal facilities. I've found out despite travelling in F on a 4 hour UA domestic flight you are entitled to bugger all in the way of lounge access. You gotta
Depends on the terminal. There are some some pretty grim terminals in the US - even International terminals (thinking Tom Bradley at LAX) where access to a lounge may well be the best dining option you've got once air side.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The USA really do have some strange premium cabin flying rules.
Yes, the whole having to buy lounge membership thing is strange. But, if you have a none American OW or *A membership of suitable status, you can fly in economy for four hours and use the lounge when the people in first cannot (and you can buy a substantial sandwich on board when, at some times of the day, the best the passengers in first can hope for is warm nuts)!

Last edited by Internaut; May 14, 2011 at 8:39 am
Old May 14, 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Yes, the whole having to buy lounge membership thing is strange. But, if you have a none American OW or *A of suitable status, you can fly in economy for four hours and use the lounge when the people in first cannot (and you can buy a substantial sandwich on board when, at some times of the day, the best the passengers in first can hope for is warm nuts)!
I never paid much attention to USA based flying but the more I search the more I dislike.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Don't bother with the lounges - just hit the tequila bar!
Old May 14, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I've found you get as many coupons as you feel confident to ask for! Last time i had one left over (at DFW - cold beer in frosted mugs!) - so go Admiral's. Nice view too
Old May 14, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I've found you get as many coupons as you feel confident to ask for! Last time i had one left over (at DFW - cold beer in frosted mugs!) - so go Admiral's. Nice view too
Quite so, a collegue of mine with OW Saphire already had 5 coupons consumed when I arrived. Also, the enhancement of AC now means only premium wine and liquor needs coupons, others free to enjoy.

I've previously described feeling rejected, when not allowed in BA DFW FLounge, as per capacity reasons. Having been admitted twice, it was at least once too many...
Go AC !
Old May 14, 2011, 12:51 pm
KBW
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Thanks for all of your tips and advice regarding the British Airways lounge at DFW. I'm an AC member and use the DFW facility quite often but since I have not used the BA facility I wanted to see if it was worth a visit. Since I have a rather lengthy layover, I think I will raise a glass in both. Thanks again.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:45 pm

BA F-lounge at DFW (and additional snacks from J-part) were just fine for me last August

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.