Wiki Posts
Search

Comair looking at LGW-Durban

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Comair looking at LGW-Durban

Details seem very sketchy at the moment, but Comair is looking at operating flights between LGW and Durban.

http://www.iol.co.za/travel/travel-n...coup-1.1066054
“Dube TradePort is a mind-boggling development… It is a state-of-the-art world class project that we are proud to be now getting involved with. I realised this was an excellent opportunity for Comair. There is now a huge amount of work ahead of us to get all the regulatory approvals to start flights to London and our plans for Africa.
“This includes getting permission from British Airways to possibly use their brand in operations to Gatwick. There are other options, like using our kulula.com low-cost brand, but British Airways would be our first choice on that route,” he said.
Novick said they would start with three flights a week. He said no airline currently serviced South Africa out of Gatwick, which was more affordable than Heathrow International Airport.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That would be a great route - non-stop service to Durban from the UK. Hope it comes to pass!!!
Old May 10, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
If this happens it will be a great step forward for BA comair and gatwick !!!
Old May 10, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Hopefully they won't be using the clapped-out 737s they use in SA and the reliability and punctuality will be better!
Old May 10, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Hopefully they won't be using the clapped-out 737s they use in SA and the reliability and punctuality will be better!
Well a 737 wouldn't make that kind of distance !!

But it does beg the question as to what aircraft they would use as currently they only have short haul birds.

I think it would be good to see this happen under the BA brand but also I think it would gave to be with the right aircraft and onboard product

Let the speculation begin !!!
Old May 10, 2011, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure BA would be delighted as the revenue canabilisation from LHR-JNB. Can't see it happening, the franchising concept was in part about local feed and market presence and not competing with BA's core long haul business.

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 10, 2011 at 6:35 am Reason: add a rather important not!
Old May 10, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Can't see it happening under the BA brand unless the product is identical to BA's.
LHR-JNB is a good revenue earner for BA, and this would cut into that directly.

Maybe if they branded it as "British AirwayZA" or something.

Simpler for Comair (and for me) would be a return of the CPT-PLZ route
Old May 10, 2011, 4:59 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I'm sure BA would be delighted as the revenue canabilisation from LHR-JNB. Can't see it happening, the franchising concept was in part about local feed and market presence and competing with BA's core long haul business.
Neither can I.

Although I do have an appetizing mental image of this route being packed cheek to jowl with all those surfer hotties one finds in Durban!! One route where the IFE would be off screen. .
Old May 10, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: BA gold
As it is exLGW, perhaps it might be marketed as a leisure product if BA is willing to play along?
Old May 10, 2011, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Stez
As it is exLGW, perhaps it might be marketed as a leisure product if BA is willing to play along?
I think it's unlikely. I can't see BA licensing the brand (and products) for whatever aircraft they want to use on this route. If a pax flies LHR-JNB-DUR the bulk of the revenue accrues to BA. Hence why, pre Iberia merger, pax booking BA to destinations in South America not served directly by BA were sent on BA metal to MIA rather than to MAD to connect onto IB metal.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC
If this happens absolutly HAS to be Kulula flying the route!! Bright green 767 and about £1.50 each way!!
Old May 10, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Once the A380s are in service, it might make sense for Comair to lease some of BA's legacy long haul metal but, as others have said, it wouldn't be at the cost of cannibalising revenue from existing BA routes. Alternatively, it might happen with an arrangement that BA operates direct long haul into some existing Comair destinations (i.e. they mutually cannibalise a bit of each other's revenue and, quite frankly, any arrangement that allows passengers the choice of avoiding JNB is fine by me).
Old May 10, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
Can't see it happening under the BA brand unless the product is identical to BA's.
LHR-JNB is a good revenue earner for BA, and this would cut into that directly.

Maybe if they branded it as "British AirwayZA" or something.

Simpler for Comair (and for me) would be a return of the CPT-PLZ route
Surely comair running the service would be no different to how the BA / GB franchise ran at gatwick ? BA product on a GB plane with service that was quite often better than mainline.

The only difference being that GB only operated shorthaul routes where as this would need to meet BA's other longhaul offerings

cs
Old May 10, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
A bit closer to BMED than GB Airways, I think.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would have thought that BA would operate the flight using one of the LGW based 777's, probably YMMB or YMMF, as the crew bunks would be needed on a route that long. They will have to move another YMM* aircraft to LGW if this happens, as YMMB and YMMF will be needed for MLE and MRU!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.