Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s own hotel in New York?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question BA’s own hotel in New York?

I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication…
Old May 9, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Yes we do, it's very nice thank you, not quite the Four Seasons but comfy enough, and has 36 floors if I remember right. Can't tell you where it is, or what it is called for obvious reasons.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
747_not_777

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
...I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???...
Correct, BA has.

...the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)...
Correct, it does, although the hotel is not big enough to take all the crews nightstopping JFK, so a few crew are still accomodated in other commercial hotels.

...if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'?...
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Old May 9, 2011, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bellerophon
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!
Thanks Bellerophon and sammyh25 - and of course... I wasn't enquiring as to the address, but was more intrigued as to whether it gets the crews into Manhattan or whether you have to live out by the airport(s). Must presume Manhattan, as surely people would revolt if they were 'away from the action'!!!
Old May 9, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4504595/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-off-duty.html

I dont know if this is an answer to any question you may have asked.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?
Old May 9, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.
That is correct, I was under the impression it is still just 'us' staying there, but after my last visit I'm not 100% sure.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?

Interesting thread, I wasn't aware that BA had a hotel exclusively to themselves. Makes sense, I suppose.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA bronze
If you are not cc and flight crew,but BA staff and on a business trip over to NYC. The hotel is a right pain in the backside...lets say I am over there for a 4 day trip meetings etc at JFK. I would have to checkout every morning chuck the suitcase in storage, come back that night wait around to a certain time and then I could only check in again...repeat for 4 days....

Old May 9, 2011, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was passing by a certain hotel in Glasgow one day and was surprised to see CO crew de-minibusing and going in. I would have thought they would have been put up in a four or five star rather than a three star.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Well the NYC hotel is hardly 5-star...pokey rooms, controlling room temperature was a nightmare, only 2 tiny lifts for god knows how many storeys and all the BA crew with suitcases etc....to be honest, the hotel was pretty rubbish but people put up with it because the location was excellent and the receptionists charming.
Old May 9, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication…
Edited. The hotel does look nice from the outside...

Last edited by DWFI; May 10, 2011 at 5:19 am
Old May 9, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
If it's such a security risk, why do flight crews (of all airlines) not change at the airport, rather than wandering around the lobby in uniform?
Old May 9, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by DWFI
Perhaps this is because (I think) the hotel is called, or used to be called, at any rate,

(I hope this is OK to post - I'm not ex-BA or anything. Happy to take down on request)...
Maybe you should take it down... for the crew's safety. I knew the name a crew member once told me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.