BA’s own hotel in New York?

Old May 9, 11, 12:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK, but sometimes wish it was USA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,367
Question BA’s own hotel in New York?

I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication…
747_not_777 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 12:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,017
Yes we do, it's very nice thank you, not quite the Four Seasons but comfy enough, and has 36 floors if I remember right. Can't tell you where it is, or what it is called for obvious reasons.
orbitmic likes this.
sammyh25 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 1:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Posts: 152
747_not_777

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
...I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???...
Correct, BA has.

...the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)...
Correct, it does, although the hotel is not big enough to take all the crews nightstopping JFK, so a few crew are still accomodated in other commercial hotels.

...if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'?...
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Bellerophon is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 1:05 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK, but sometimes wish it was USA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,367
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!
Thanks Bellerophon and sammyh25 - and of course... I wasn't enquiring as to the address, but was more intrigued as to whether it gets the crews into Manhattan or whether you have to live out by the airport(s). Must presume Manhattan, as surely people would revolt if they were 'away from the action'!!!
747_not_777 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 1:06 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 10,703
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4504595/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-off-duty.html

I dont know if this is an answer to any question you may have asked.
origin is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 1:10 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK, but sometimes wish it was USA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,367
Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?
747_not_777 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 2:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Midwest
Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Posts: 774
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.
NonSmokingWindow is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 3:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: north of heathrow
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow View Post
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.
That is correct, I was under the impression it is still just 'us' staying there, but after my last visit I'm not 100% sure.
flygirl68 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 3:42 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,498
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?


Interesting thread, I wasn't aware that BA had a hotel exclusively to themselves. Makes sense, I suppose.
Genius1 is online now  
Old May 9, 11, 4:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The home of tennis
Programs: BA bronze
Posts: 1,461
If you are not cc and flight crew,but BA staff and on a business trip over to NYC. The hotel is a right pain in the backside...lets say I am over there for a 4 day trip meetings etc at JFK. I would have to checkout every morning chuck the suitcase in storage, come back that night wait around to a certain time and then I could only check in again...repeat for 4 days....

218
Speedbird218 is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 4:33 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,230
I was passing by a certain hotel in Glasgow one day and was surprised to see CO crew de-minibusing and going in. I would have thought they would have been put up in a four or five star rather than a three star.
HIDDY is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 4:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: BA Exec
Posts: 573
Well the NYC hotel is hardly 5-star...pokey rooms, controlling room temperature was a nightmare, only 2 tiny lifts for god knows how many storeys and all the BA crew with suitcases etc....to be honest, the hotel was pretty rubbish but people put up with it because the location was excellent and the receptionists charming.
Bar Operator is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 6:08 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,891
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication…
Edited. The hotel does look nice from the outside...

Last edited by DWFI; May 10, 11 at 5:19 am
DWFI is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 10:55 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
If it's such a security risk, why do flight crews (of all airlines) not change at the airport, rather than wandering around the lobby in uniform?
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old May 9, 11, 11:24 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 22,244
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Perhaps this is because (I think) the hotel is called, or used to be called, at any rate,

(I hope this is OK to post - I'm not ex-BA or anything. Happy to take down on request)...
Maybe you should take it down... for the crew's safety. I knew the name a crew member once told me.
Yahillwe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: