FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA’s own hotel in New York? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1213771-ba-s-own-hotel-new-york.html)

747_not_777 May 9, 11 12:46 pm

BA’s own hotel in New York?

I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication… :confused:

sammyh25 May 9, 11 12:54 pm

Yes we do, it's very nice thank you, not quite the Four Seasons but comfy enough, and has 36 floors if I remember right. Can't tell you where it is, or what it is called for obvious reasons.

Bellerophon May 9, 11 1:00 pm

747_not_777

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16354937)
...I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???...

Correct, BA has.

...the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)...
Correct, it does, although the hotel is not big enough to take all the crews nightstopping JFK, so a few crew are still accomodated in other commercial hotels.

...if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'?...
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Best Regards

Bellerophon

747_not_777 May 9, 11 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerophon (Post 16355063)
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Thanks Bellerophon and sammyh25 - and of course... I wasn't enquiring as to the address, but was more intrigued as to whether it gets the crews into Manhattan or whether you have to live out by the airport(s). Must presume Manhattan, as surely people would revolt if they were 'away from the action'!!!

origin May 9, 11 1:06 pm

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4504595/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-off-duty.html

I dont know if this is an answer to any question you may have asked.

747_not_777 May 9, 11 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16355101)

Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?

NonSmokingWindow May 9, 11 2:23 pm

I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.

flygirl68 May 9, 11 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow (Post 16355715)
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.

That is correct, I was under the impression it is still just 'us' staying there, but after my last visit I'm not 100% sure.

Genius1 May 9, 11 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16355144)
Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?

:D

Interesting thread, I wasn't aware that BA had a hotel exclusively to themselves. Makes sense, I suppose.

Speedbird218 May 9, 11 4:08 pm

If you are not cc and flight crew,but BA staff and on a business trip over to NYC. The hotel is a right pain in the backside...lets say I am over there for a 4 day trip meetings etc at JFK. I would have to checkout every morning chuck the suitcase in storage, come back that night wait around to a certain time and then I could only check in again...repeat for 4 days.... :(

HIDDY May 9, 11 4:33 pm

I was passing by a certain hotel in Glasgow one day and was surprised to see CO crew de-minibusing and going in. I would have thought they would have been put up in a four or five star rather than a three star.

Bar Operator May 9, 11 4:37 pm

Well the NYC hotel is hardly 5-star...pokey rooms, controlling room temperature was a nightmare, only 2 tiny lifts for god knows how many storeys and all the BA crew with suitcases etc....to be honest, the hotel was pretty rubbish but people put up with it because the location was excellent and the receptionists charming.

DWFI May 9, 11 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16354937)
I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication… :confused:

Edited. The hotel does look nice from the outside...

Swiss Tony May 9, 11 10:55 pm

If it's such a security risk, why do flight crews (of all airlines) not change at the airport, rather than wandering around the lobby in uniform?

Yahillwe May 9, 11 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 16357002)
Perhaps this is because (I think) the hotel is called, or used to be called, at any rate, ;)

(I hope this is OK to post - I'm not ex-BA or anything. Happy to take down on request)...

Maybe you should take it down... for the crew's safety. I knew the name a crew member once told me.

justforfun May 9, 11 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 16358354)
If it's such a security risk, why do flight crews (of all airlines) not change at the airport, rather than wandering around the lobby in uniform?

Agreed. Seems rather silly. And a 30 second google search gives you the name of both hotels used by BA. As well as those used by EK, AF, CI, etc.

origin May 10, 11 1:14 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16356545)
I was passing by a certain hotel in Glasgow one day and was surprised to see CO crew de-minibusing and going in. I would have thought they would have been put up in a four or five star rather than a three star.

My understanding was the need for a pool and a bar.

Maybe the company is a little more basic for their staff needs.

origin May 10, 11 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 16358452)
Maybe you should take it down... for the crew's safety. I knew the name a crew member once told me.

I cant see if there is a real risk for crew, unless the airline becomes a target. The not so charming people in this world arent worried about which airline they attack, or which gives the best points. They are trying to get past the best security. This would be the ground staff who have the ability to get around this more than cabin crew.

flygirl68 May 10, 11 2:12 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 16357002)
Perhaps this is because (I think) the hotel is called, or used to be called, at any rate, the Blah blah Hotel? ;)

(I hope this is OK to post - I'm not ex-BA or anything. Happy to take down on request)...

Then please take it down.... that's my request...

flygirl68 May 10, 11 2:13 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16358701)
I cant see if there is a real risk for crew, unless the airline becomes a target. The not so charming people in this world arent worried about which airline they attack, or which gives the best points. They are trying to get past the best security. This would be the ground staff who have the ability to get around this more than cabin crew.

We HAVE been a target at times. Is it too much to ask that some things are left unsaid?

origin May 10, 11 2:15 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68 (Post 16358824)
We HAVE been a target at times. Is it too much to ask that some things are left unsaid?

Why would they target cabin crew. They are not involved in security and have to go through the same procedures like everyone else.

origin May 10, 11 2:20 am

From reading the reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel would be more helpful to anyone who is interested than reading on here.

Speedbird218 May 10, 11 2:53 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16358832)
Why would they target cabin crew. They are not involved in security and have to go through the same procedures like everyone else.

I think Flyergirl is referring to the individual security of cabin crew down route. There have been a number of cases where CC have been targeted at their hotel.

Yahillwe May 10, 11 4:31 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68 (Post 16358821)
Then please take it down.... that's my request...

AAARRRRRGGGhgggghhhh, Girl, now even if he wants to take it down... YOU made sure it stayed. :mad:

Yahillwe May 10, 11 4:33 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16358832)

Origin... origin, origin....how about a looney tune passenger who got upset with a crew member and one night on a drunken rage goes after them at the hotel....

Motors May 10, 11 4:48 am

If there is so much concern about safety for the crew, then how come this one slipped through the net about the Hilton being the crew hotel in Barbados? Or are LGW crew not that important? :p

It would be simple to find out crew hotels very easily by either searching online or through other methods. Basically a lot of this is public knowledge (ie it's out there) so it's very strange to impose censorship.

DWFI May 10, 11 5:21 am

I agree. The security risk is minimal, I think.

However I have removed it. The two of you who quoted me should do likewise...

origin May 10, 11 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 16359097)
Origin... origin, origin....how about a looney tune passenger who got upset with a crew member and one night on a drunken rage goes after them at the hotel....

Most drunks forget their issues or problems after a little sleep. I doubt they would remember the cabin crew at all after their rest.

origin May 10, 11 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Motors (Post 16359119)
It would be simple to find out crew hotels very easily by either searching online or through other methods. Basically a lot of this is public knowledge (ie it's out there) so it's very strange to impose censorship.

I think that the crew at JFK are a little better behaved. Its only the virgin crew who get drunk, run around naked and get close to the pax. This isnt allowed and should stop now. :D

That thread talks about a thread on tripadvisor. There is a similar comment about the JFK hotel.

martinfoss May 10, 11 6:32 am

With all respect, I can understand why BA want to keep thewir hotels secret.
On the other hand, how can they control it? I understand that it's well known on here, that we do not mention where they are staying here on FT, but what about the rest of the internet? Trip Reports on other forums, Tripadvisor, etc. etc.

The crew members are very visible in their uniforms, and there are people who are bound to see them there, and you can't control how all these people tell their friends/family/co-workers about their stay at this-and-that hotel.

Again: I do understand why, but can't understand how.

747_not_777 May 10, 11 7:04 am

OK - I'll throw this (slightly random) one into the mix - wind the clock back to 1993 and I was staying at the Platation Club in the Seychelles on a family holiday. I'm naming the hotel as a) this was 18 years ago, b) I don't think BA fly there anymore and c) I don't even know if the hotel is still standing.

But.... in 1993, it turned out the BA crew stayed there too. But the most obvious sign it was the crew hotel...? The watersports team on the beach had a small sailing boat (like a Topper, that kind of thing), which they kept for the BA staff, and it was even decalled and branded as BA...

Several times I saw the BA crew out in it - but never anyone else. As I understand, some regular visiting crew had brought it over in the aircraft hold one day and made regular use of it on their visits.

But even if the crew turning up at Reception dressed in their uniforms wasn't an obvious enough sign, the BA branded boat on the beach sure was!

pb3 May 10, 11 8:21 am

Originally Posted by martinfoss (Post 16359405)
With all respect, I can understand why BA want to keep thewir hotels secret.
On the other hand, how can they control it? I understand that it's well known on here, that we do not mention where they are staying here on FT, but what about the rest of the internet? Trip Reports on other forums, Tripadvisor, etc. etc.

In general the Brits and Americans tend to be a touch an*l about the (real/perceived) threat of terrorism. Reading the treads on the TSA in these forums makes me dread the thought of travelling to the US.

As pointed out earlier every man and his dog in Barbados knows the location of the BA crew hotel in Barbados ;)

But then again those pesky terrorists have so far given us a miss. I notice still that the island has started along the slipperly path towards a CCTV state like the UK. Ho-hum.

eddy67 May 10, 11 8:39 am

I believe the boat you are referring to was supplied by the FSRC (Flying Staff Recreation Club). In my day longhaul crew who chose to participate had a nominal sum (£1.50 or so) deducted from their salary monthly and this went towards supplying Bikes, Tennis Rackets, Golf Clubs etc to hotels down-route for the crews use.

747_not_777 May 10, 11 10:06 am

Originally Posted by eddy67 (Post 16360026)
I believe the boat you are referring to was supplied by the FSRC (Flying Staff Recreation Club).

Never even heard of that, so thank you for the insight.

DWFI May 10, 11 10:11 am

Originally Posted by pb3 (Post 16359912)
In general the Brits and Americans tend to be a touch an*l about the (real/perceived) threat of terrorism. Reading the treads on the TSA in these forums makes me dread the thought of travelling to the US.

As pointed out earlier every man and his dog in Barbados knows the location of the BA crew hotel in Barbados ;)

But then again those pesky terrorists have so far given us a miss. I notice still that the island has started along the slipperly path towards a CCTV state like the UK. Ho-hum.

Yes, US terrorism paranoia is really quite something.

How many terrorists has the TSA stopped? 0.
How many attempted terrorist attacks (since 9/11, anyway) have been US departures? 0.

Yet, UA, CO, and US (and probably AA/DL/AS/WN/B6) now make it a point to ask passengers "not to congregate in aisles or galleys". I mean, :confused::confused::confused: Emirates has an onboard bar area that encourages passengers to do this. Amazing.

What are they going to tell me next? That I can't talk to anyone onboard? No looking out of the windows? Hands must be visible at all times?
It's just completely ridiculous. I've stopped flying mainline on my DC-NYC-BOS routes and instead fly Streamline to BOS and take Acela to DC.

It's funny to think that someone could pretty much take a suitcase bomb on the Acela and completely obliterate the train but I can't take a bottle of water on my flight. Just sad what it's gotten to.

origin May 10, 11 12:17 pm

Its in the Daily Mail as well

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-brothel.html

GUWonder May 10, 11 1:08 pm

It is not that difficult for the ill-intentioned or otherwise to follow uniformed airline crew from an airport to their accommodations in most cities.

In Sao Paulo, I see uniformed BA crews at the Renaissance. South African Airways crews too there.

sxc May 6, 19 6:56 pm

I’m not wanting to know what is the new JFK hotel for BA, but it seems that the previous hotel that only served BA is now open to the public and publicises the fact that they were the exclusive BA hotel.

https://www.concordehotelnewyork.com/about-hotel/

Is the new arrangement that all staff stay in one hotel and taken over the whole hotel or are crew spread over a few hotels now?