FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA’s own hotel in New York? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1213771-ba-s-own-hotel-new-york.html)

747_not_777 May 9, 11 12:46 pm

BA’s own hotel in New York?

I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication… :confused:

sammyh25 May 9, 11 12:54 pm

Yes we do, it's very nice thank you, not quite the Four Seasons but comfy enough, and has 36 floors if I remember right. Can't tell you where it is, or what it is called for obvious reasons.

Bellerophon May 9, 11 1:00 pm

747_not_777

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16354937)
...I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???...

Correct, BA has.

...the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)...
Correct, it does, although the hotel is not big enough to take all the crews nightstopping JFK, so a few crew are still accomodated in other commercial hotels.

...if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'?...
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Best Regards

Bellerophon

747_not_777 May 9, 11 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerophon (Post 16355063)
BA employees (should) never comment publicly about crew hotel names and locations, for obvious reasons, and neither will this ex-BA employee!

Thanks Bellerophon and sammyh25 - and of course... I wasn't enquiring as to the address, but was more intrigued as to whether it gets the crews into Manhattan or whether you have to live out by the airport(s). Must presume Manhattan, as surely people would revolt if they were 'away from the action'!!!

origin May 9, 11 1:06 pm

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4504595/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-off-duty.html

I dont know if this is an answer to any question you may have asked.

747_not_777 May 9, 11 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by origin (Post 16355101)

Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?

NonSmokingWindow May 9, 11 2:23 pm

I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.

flygirl68 May 9, 11 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow (Post 16355715)
I believe BA sold the hotel property in NYC. It may still be used exclusively by BA but I think it's no longer owned by BA.

That is correct, I was under the impression it is still just 'us' staying there, but after my last visit I'm not 100% sure.

Genius1 May 9, 11 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16355144)
Thanks origin - perhaps this is a Trip Report even Genius1 won't manage. The holy grail of trip reports perhaps...?

:D

Interesting thread, I wasn't aware that BA had a hotel exclusively to themselves. Makes sense, I suppose.

Speedbird218 May 9, 11 4:08 pm

If you are not cc and flight crew,but BA staff and on a business trip over to NYC. The hotel is a right pain in the backside...lets say I am over there for a 4 day trip meetings etc at JFK. I would have to checkout every morning chuck the suitcase in storage, come back that night wait around to a certain time and then I could only check in again...repeat for 4 days.... :(

HIDDY May 9, 11 4:33 pm

I was passing by a certain hotel in Glasgow one day and was surprised to see CO crew de-minibusing and going in. I would have thought they would have been put up in a four or five star rather than a three star.

Bar Operator May 9, 11 4:37 pm

Well the NYC hotel is hardly 5-star...pokey rooms, controlling room temperature was a nightmare, only 2 tiny lifts for god knows how many storeys and all the BA crew with suitcases etc....to be honest, the hotel was pretty rubbish but people put up with it because the location was excellent and the receptionists charming.

DWFI May 9, 11 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 (Post 16354937)
I can’t remember where I saw this – possibly on a DVD I had all about Concorde – but I am sure I remember seeing a few years back that BA had its own 'hotel' in New York, to service all its flight crews???

Am sure the documentary said that the sheer volume of daily flights BA operate to New York meant having their own hotel for staff made the most financial sense. @:-)

So, if this is the case, whereabouts is this 'hotel'? How big is it? What’s it like? And is it on a par with a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton or ????

If I am completely dreaming this up then let me know. I’ll go back to taking my medication… :confused:

Edited. The hotel does look nice from the outside...

Swiss Tony May 9, 11 10:55 pm

If it's such a security risk, why do flight crews (of all airlines) not change at the airport, rather than wandering around the lobby in uniform?

Yahillwe May 9, 11 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 16357002)
Perhaps this is because (I think) the hotel is called, or used to be called, at any rate, ;)

(I hope this is OK to post - I'm not ex-BA or anything. Happy to take down on request)...

Maybe you should take it down... for the crew's safety. I knew the name a crew member once told me.