FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BAs own hotel in New York? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1213771-ba-s-own-hotel-new-york.html)

747_not_777 May 10, 11 7:04 am

OK - I'll throw this (slightly random) one into the mix - wind the clock back to 1993 and I was staying at the Platation Club in the Seychelles on a family holiday. I'm naming the hotel as a) this was 18 years ago, b) I don't think BA fly there anymore and c) I don't even know if the hotel is still standing.

But.... in 1993, it turned out the BA crew stayed there too. But the most obvious sign it was the crew hotel...? The watersports team on the beach had a small sailing boat (like a Topper, that kind of thing), which they kept for the BA staff, and it was even decalled and branded as BA...

Several times I saw the BA crew out in it - but never anyone else. As I understand, some regular visiting crew had brought it over in the aircraft hold one day and made regular use of it on their visits.

But even if the crew turning up at Reception dressed in their uniforms wasn't an obvious enough sign, the BA branded boat on the beach sure was!

pb3 May 10, 11 8:21 am

Originally Posted by martinfoss (Post 16359405)
With all respect, I can understand why BA want to keep thewir hotels secret.
On the other hand, how can they control it? I understand that it's well known on here, that we do not mention where they are staying here on FT, but what about the rest of the internet? Trip Reports on other forums, Tripadvisor, etc. etc.

In general the Brits and Americans tend to be a touch an*l about the (real/perceived) threat of terrorism. Reading the treads on the TSA in these forums makes me dread the thought of travelling to the US.

As pointed out earlier every man and his dog in Barbados knows the location of the BA crew hotel in Barbados ;)

But then again those pesky terrorists have so far given us a miss. I notice still that the island has started along the slipperly path towards a CCTV state like the UK. Ho-hum.

eddy67 May 10, 11 8:39 am

I believe the boat you are referring to was supplied by the FSRC (Flying Staff Recreation Club). In my day longhaul crew who chose to participate had a nominal sum (1.50 or so) deducted from their salary monthly and this went towards supplying Bikes, Tennis Rackets, Golf Clubs etc to hotels down-route for the crews use.

747_not_777 May 10, 11 10:06 am

Originally Posted by eddy67 (Post 16360026)
I believe the boat you are referring to was supplied by the FSRC (Flying Staff Recreation Club).

Never even heard of that, so thank you for the insight.

DWFI May 10, 11 10:11 am

Originally Posted by pb3 (Post 16359912)
In general the Brits and Americans tend to be a touch an*l about the (real/perceived) threat of terrorism. Reading the treads on the TSA in these forums makes me dread the thought of travelling to the US.

As pointed out earlier every man and his dog in Barbados knows the location of the BA crew hotel in Barbados ;)

But then again those pesky terrorists have so far given us a miss. I notice still that the island has started along the slipperly path towards a CCTV state like the UK. Ho-hum.

Yes, US terrorism paranoia is really quite something.

How many terrorists has the TSA stopped? 0.
How many attempted terrorist attacks (since 9/11, anyway) have been US departures? 0.

Yet, UA, CO, and US (and probably AA/DL/AS/WN/B6) now make it a point to ask passengers "not to congregate in aisles or galleys". I mean, :confused::confused::confused: Emirates has an onboard bar area that encourages passengers to do this. Amazing.

What are they going to tell me next? That I can't talk to anyone onboard? No looking out of the windows? Hands must be visible at all times?
It's just completely ridiculous. I've stopped flying mainline on my DC-NYC-BOS routes and instead fly Streamline to BOS and take Acela to DC.

It's funny to think that someone could pretty much take a suitcase bomb on the Acela and completely obliterate the train but I can't take a bottle of water on my flight. Just sad what it's gotten to.

origin May 10, 11 12:17 pm

Its in the Daily Mail as well

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-brothel.html

GUWonder May 10, 11 1:08 pm

It is not that difficult for the ill-intentioned or otherwise to follow uniformed airline crew from an airport to their accommodations in most cities.

In Sao Paulo, I see uniformed BA crews at the Renaissance. South African Airways crews too there.

sxc May 6, 19 6:56 pm

I’m not wanting to know what is the new JFK hotel for BA, but it seems that the previous hotel that only served BA is now open to the public and publicises the fact that they were the exclusive BA hotel.

https://www.concordehotelnewyork.com/about-hotel/

Is the new arrangement that all staff stay in one hotel and taken over the whole hotel or are crew spread over a few hotels now?