OT: Best pay as you go US mobile

Old May 1, 2011, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
OT: Best pay as you go US mobile

Hello all

This may be OT but I'm hoping you may give me some advice.

I travel a fair bit to the US, principally NY, and am looking for the best pay as you go mobile deal. As background, I have recently set up my own business and am consequently a little more sensitive to roaming charges. Also, my clients in the US occasionally object to paying for intl charges while they call me while I am in the US. I want a domestic US number from which to make and receive calls.

In the UK I am on a Vodafone small business tariff and the intl call bolt-on does not really work for me (still to expensive). I have an iPhone 4 so another sim is not the solution.

Which US network is best, which package/option is most economical in your views?

Thanks

LE
Old May 1, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I haven't needed one for a while now but Tracfone was pretty good. Alternatively, I believe T-Mobile US will sell you a SIM card that you can put in any unlocked European phone that supports GSM 1900.

Edit: Since another SIM is not a solution, take a look at sites like Amazon UK and Expansys for an unlocked phone before you go. Also, perhaps get this thread moved to travel tech. Pre paid data has traditionally been an issue in the US but I understand this is changing so it might be worth getting a smart phone to compliment your iPhone (and save on excessive iPhone data roaming).
Old May 1, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA
AT&T / Verizon

The best solution is to have a second handset. I have an AT&T pay as you go handset for use in New York with a local NY telephone number. You can buy a prepaid handset with a sim from about $20

Pop into a Best Buy or an AT&T or Verizon shop when you are next in NYC.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Carphone warehouse will sell you basic to smart unlocked phones they have a royal wedding branded for Ł5 that you can buy if you like. I agree the travel tech board is far better at this.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted (already mentioned).
Old May 1, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
T-Mobile is the most reliable in the NYC area. I do not recommend AT&T at all.

If you don't want to unlock your iPhone I would recommend just buying a cheap (~$30) phone with your plan here. Considering the hassle of buying one in the UK, getting a US power adapter, and
figuring out the differences in bands, it's not worth any savings you might have.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I had a TracPhone once ... IIRC there's a time constraint somewhere which requires you to top up regularly. That may not be a problem in the OP's scenario, and thus possibly worth going for. Certainly cheap enough!
Old May 1, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
by NY..

do you mean Manhattan? I personally found Verizon to have the best consistent coverage in the tunnels if you have to go to LI at all. You can pick up PAYG Cells in any Verizon store.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I have an AT&T contract, can't wait until it is done and move to Vorizon. Had T-Mobile but the coverage isn't great.

If you travel a lot to the US, I'd advice getting a regular plan, on the long run it is cheaper. Your problem would be the address, but am sure you can figure it out.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Virgin Mobile. Fantastic services, fantastic prices. Unless you must have an iPhone, Virgin is by far the best.

I've had Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T, and Virgin Mobile is the only one I'd recommend to anyone... and in fact, my mom is a recent convert, as well.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Do not get an AT&T PAYG - waste of money. Awful signal even in NYC, awful awful customer services, no real data options on PAYG.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:10 pm

Having previously been with Virgin Mobile I switched to T-Mobile prepaid so that I could use my unlocked GSM phone. There are certain areas in Manhattan where coverage isn't great, but I love the plan for its simplicity and the fact that if you initially top up with $100 in credit you have competitive calling rates and the freedom not to worry about topping up again for a year (provided you don't use up your credit, of course). Perfect to use whenever I'm in the city or elsewhere in America.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
If you did get a Royal PAYG one you could always sell it for more than you paid, before you came home.

I've been asked to buy souvenirs for US friends so I suspect there is a market for them over there. It has God Save The Queen as a ringtone option
Old May 1, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If do you get the trac phone, ( I have one ) go through the BA E store, you 12 miles per dollar, ( I think I got about 1200 miles ).
Old May 1, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Tracfone is a ripoff.

I use Page Plus. They have a couple of monthly plans and pay as you go is between 4 and 10 cents per minute depending on how much you top up. It runs on Verizon's huge native coverage but does have access to roaming partners for 29 cents per minute in the rare case. A 10 dollar top up card will get you 4 months so when you are not in the States you are not loading lots of credits unnecessarily.

Go to howardforums.com for the best answers on prepaid though. It is like the flyertalk for phones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.