Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we have to put up with the Daily Fail?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
*outs self as Torygraph reader*

Although the ability to get a refund if you've not used 7 days vouchers negates this slightly - if I've got a run of trips I tend to forgo the paper via vouchers on a couple of days and either buy it off the shelf or pick up something else, and get a refund.
I never thought of getting a refund. At the moment I have plenty of people that read my copy when I am away. I shall keep the refund in mind if my situation changes.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by origin
I never thought of getting a refund. At the moment I have plenty of people that read my copy when I am away. I shall keep the refund in mind if my situation changes.
It's relatively new - I think only came in last summer. Basically if you have 7 days consecutive vouchers which are unused, they'll now send you a cheque for the value of them.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
It's relatively new - I think only came in last summer. Basically if you have 7 days consecutive vouchers which are unused, they'll now send you a cheque for the value of them.
Which is a great idea on their part. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by User Name
Is anyone else wondering whether they are a poppet or a sausage?
i am a boy and i got a poppet and a darling. quite a result for a 15 stone south londoner with a number 1 cut. the joy of the internet and a gender indeterminate handle.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:26 pm

Forgive me for not contributing my two pennorth earlier, but I've only just caught up with this thread. Earlier posters suggested that BA take loadsa copies of the Daily Mail because they are free and the Mail can then add those figures to its circulation and boost the ad rates. Not so. All free or discounted copies of all newspapers are declared outside the paid circulation, the latter being the only figure that matters to the advertisers.
In the case of the Daily Mail, which I know a bit about, no copies are supplied to BA free, and the discount they get is precisely 1p less than the retail newsagent pays. And if there are any undistributed copies left in the BA lounge or on the aircraft, they still have to be paid for as they will have been ordered.
Whether you love the Daily Mail or hate it, the fact is that its readership profile - by far the widest in the mid-market - is very snugly compatible with BA's passenger profile. And, as someone wisely pointed out earlier, if you don't like a newspaper, you, too, can be a power in the press: don't read it.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Wow, What did I Start??

Just back to FT after a few days away with no computer contact (not flying BA, sorry and work is Shutdown for the wedding...) and didn't realise what I had started.

The main aim of my Original Post was Supply and Demand. At the time the rack in the lounge had one very thumbed copy of the Telegraph, 5 Independents and a fairly full rack of Daily Mails. This suggests to me that they are popular in the lounge, in a similar (inverse) Ratio.

I.e. it would appear to me based on this and other visits, that in the Lounge the Telegraph is more popular than the Independent, which is more popular than the Daily Mail.

So if this is the case why do BA appear to provide the same number of all three papers? Do their usage figures just show that the same number of each papers are thrown away at the end of the day? Why can they do a bit of Supply and Demand and provide a range of papers in quantities that may reflect their popularity?

Although reading the Daily Mail is better than nothing, it would seem to me that more people would prefer something different to read as a first choice.

P.S. I returned my copy of the Telegraph to the Rack before leaving the Lounge!

P.P.S. I apologise to readers of the Daily Mail for referring to it in prejudiced terms in the original Post.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by mickchick
Whether you love the Daily Mail or hate it, the fact is that its readership profile - is very snugly compatible with BA's passenger profile.
Cripes, I need a new airline!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Cripes, I need a new airline!
Ryanair is very good, I hear.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windsock

I.e. it would appear to me based on this and other visits, that in the Lounge the Telegraph is more popular than the Independent, which is more popular than the Daily Mail.

This is like one of the GCSE questions!!

Could it be that the time you arrived at the lounge the Telegraphs had been STOLEN. On flights into hotels and meetings around the world.

Maybe the DM is just read quickly and returned.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickchick
Whether you love the Daily Mail or hate it, the fact is that its readership profile - by far the widest in the mid-market - is very snugly compatible with BA's passenger profile. And, as someone wisely pointed out earlier, if you don't like a newspaper, you, too, can be a power in the press: don't read it.
This is what I have been saying from the start. Also one doesnt need to point out that maybe the customers BA are looking for dont spend their time worrying about BA on a forum. But I am sure that BA work hard to make the flights as enjoyable as the can for everyone.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG, Hertz Gold
On my flight from LHR to SFO on Wednesday the steward was passing around the choice of the Daily Mail and the Independent. (I was in the small World Traveller Plus section that only had about 40 seats) and the majority of people offered chose the Daily Mail. When he got to me, he asked me which one I would like and I asked him which one was better. He said "Do you want more trashy or less trashy?" I said "Less trashy" and he handed me the Independent, but it looks as though the majority of people chose the Mail.
At the gate, before boarding the bus to take us to our plane at Terminal 5, there was a selection of papers like The FT that you can take. I left from one of the A gates and they are located on a stand after you pass through check in and are walking outside to catch the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.