Search

Semi OT: I thought I saw it all...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Semi OT: I thought I saw it all...

Sitting here minding my own business in the CX 'FLounge' at MNL. Then this shabby looking (Western, American by the looks of it) guy comes in, opens his bag, fills it with what must have been at least 10 cans of Schweppes. Drinks cabinet is around the corner so I could not see if he appropriated the bottle of Gin too...

No shame, no guilt, no nothing. I looked him square in the eye and he just grinned and took his seat. I know there is no point telling the lounge staff here but if you read this per chance: be ashamed of yourself!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I've not been around that long, but I've been around long enough to know that, no matter how much you've seen, you've never seen it all.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does an American look like?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:57 pm

To that I might just add: I'm trying to work out why his appearance, ethnicity and nationality are important to this story and I'm having difficulties doing so.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ajax
I've not been around that long, but I've been around long enough to know that, no matter how much you've seen, you've never seen it all.
How true.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
What does an American look like?
You know: shabby-looking and apparently the type who would steal from lounge cabinets - unlike saintly Europeans, who are beyond moral reproach and always dress up nicely.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know: shabby-looking and apparently the type who would steal from lounge cabinets - unlike saintly Europeans, who are beyond moral reproach and always dress up nicely.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
My biggest pet peeve on how to spot an American... Jeans and an untuckted shirt... Or very baggy pants/polo shirt (if they want to look in).
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Weren't there any crisps in the lounge?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:01 am

To that I might just add: I'm trying to work out why his appearance, ethnicity and nationality are important to this story and I'm having difficulties doing so.
I don't think the OP mentioned anything about the ethnicity of the greedy man in question. All we know is that he was a shabby male and that his style an mannerisms appeared western, probably American. In my experience, as world culture homogenises onto the US culture, there are more exceptions to the rule, more 'world citizens'. But in some cases, like it or not, Americans do have an American style about them. So it seems perfectly reasonable to say he looked American. Had Mr Greedy been wearing sandals and socks, it would have been very reasonable to say he looked British. Is that he looked American relevant to the story? Probably not, but it adds litary colour to the tale; a courtesy to the reader that is so often lacking on the Internet. Is there an implied insult to Americans? Well, that depends on the intent of the OP and only he or she can answer that. But I would have thought one can infer no such intention: Had the intention been to insult, then something like "a westerner, fat and loud enough to be a Seppo" would have been more efficient and would have tapped into more stereotypes.

Last edited by ColdWalker; Apr 23, 2011 at 12:45 am
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Shameless! I guess it brings up the age old debate on whether such actions constitute theft or not. Let's hope he was connecting through another airport and has them taken off him at security.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In a way I'm quite impressed. The F lounge in Manila takes one back to the first stabs of airport lounges in the former Eastern bloc. It's got dour chairs, glum tables and a very limited range of drinks. Coffee comes from a bottom of the range machine, "tea" involves water that doesn't get to 80 celsius. I'd far rather be lounge-less in almost any airport in the world than in CX's F lounge there. The F lounge is just around the corner from the main CX lounge and is out of sight of the reception desk due to that corner. The only trouble is that somehow the rest of that MNL terminal is even more grim. This being Manila there is a beautiful spanking new terminal next door, used only by low cost carriers.

So for our fellow passenger from a country that wasn't blessed by the full colonial experience did well to even find that much product to snaffle. Furthermore unless he was on some obscure code-share, he could only be flying for 80 minutes to Hong Kong. If transferring there, there is no way he'd get the liquids past the rigourous security checks there.

I was there on Wednesday evening. Gosh I was within 24 hours of meeting Henkybabes. Scary.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Never judge a book by the cover is what I was brought up to believe. Thought this story was interesting!

http://galwaytent.blogspot.com/2010/...atened-by.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
In Manila the odds are that a western looking bod is going to be American. Same as in SIN you assume (well I do) an Anglo is a Brit or Aussie.

Sweeping generalisations over for the moment. back for more later.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In a way I'm quite impressed. The F lounge in Manila takes one back to the first stabs of airport lounges in the former Eastern bloc. It's got dour chairs, glum tables and a very limited range of drinks.
But it does have cake! Or maybe he'd already snaffled that too. Kind of explains why they have the normal cx lounge under the nose of the receptionist...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.