Companion Voucher and Household Account

Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex P+
Companion Voucher and Household Account

Hello,

I know I should be able to find the answer to this but don't seem to be able to. Any help gratefully received.

The Amex Companion voucher Ts and Cs say that the account holder needs to travel on any companion ticket but when I go to book I can select two other members of the household - i.e. not the account holder.

Does anyone know if, therefore, it is possible for me to book two miles redemptions using my companion voucher with two members of my household, but not me, travelling?!

Many thanks
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think you answered your own question Paragraphs 6 & 7 are pretty clear that BA American Express
account holder must travel on the companion voucher booking.

It's been a while since I last used a voucher, but you are able to choose your 'companion'. It either
automatically adds you or assumes that the account holder will travel as, well, you have too

I don't see how you can use the companion voucher without actually travelling yourself.

H
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hoch
I think you answered your own question Paragraphs 6 & 7 are pretty clear that BA American Express
account holder must travel on the companion voucher booking.

It's been a while since I last used a voucher, but you are able to choose your 'companion'. It either
automatically adds you or assumes that the account holder will travel as, well, you have too

I don't see how you can use the companion voucher without actually travelling yourself.

H
As you can now use two companion vouchers at the same time so 4 people travelling at the same time (an enhancement in year or so) - which i think this is why you can select 2 non account holders on the website. Not sure if you'd get away with it though as the T&C's are very clear!
(and there may be some offline process for checking)

I'd say if it lets you, then give it a try but dont be suprised if you get a call from BA or they notice at checkin and stop the passengers from flying.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
obviously you didnt hear this from me.............

but in my recent experience, you can book using miles from a HHA and a companion voucher and exclude the member that the voucher was issued in the name of.

tried and tested, no problems at all in the tickets being issued or during travel

cs
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex P+
Thanks a lot. Don't think I can risk my mother in law stranded at the gate tho, tempting as it may be......
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yip. Account holder doesn't need to travel in my experience but I think you need to have a household account.

We went to NYC last week using 2 companion vouchers for GingerRogers (mrs BC) and 3 mini BC's, whilst I paid for the flight. Revenue ticket had to be on separate PNR.

BC
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by jonesuk
Thanks a lot. Don't think I can risk my mother in law stranded at the gate tho, tempting as it may be......
its not a risk, mum and brother had no problems at all in March

cs
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
A semi-related question to this.

Can I have the companion be outside my household account?

I don't have a household account but have been thinking of setting one up. The one factor/question holding me back is a residual question on if I can use the companion ticket for someone outside the household.

I know - from what I've read on the forum - I can only use miles for household members, but how about the companion pass for spending $30k in a year?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
A semi-related question to this.

Can I have the companion be outside my household account?

I don't have a household account but have been thinking of setting one up. The one factor/question holding me back is a residual question on if I can use the companion ticket for someone outside the household.

I know - from what I've read on the forum - I can only use miles for household members, but how about the companion pass for spending $30k in a year?
From what i could see when i booked previously i think its only able to be used with members of the household account, but im happy to be corrected if im wrong

cs
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You can use a Uk Amex 241 for anyone, though the website will only offer your HH account members so call BA. The rationale is that the miles are restricted but the voucher buys the second ticket and it's unrestricted.

Not sure about the US voucher but it should be the same depending on T&Cs.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by pauldb
You can use a Uk Amex 241 for anyone, though the website will only offer your HH account members so call BA. The rationale is that the miles are restricted but the voucher buys the second ticket and it's unrestricted.

Not sure about the US voucher but it should be the same depending on T&Cs.
Apologies for bumping a really old thread but I was just wanting to check if this was still the case.

I'm booking a trip for myself and a friend using miles and a companion voucher. My wife and myself have a household account. When trying to book on-line the only passengers I appear to be allowed to book for is my wife and myself. Is it still a case of having to phone BAEC when you have a household account and you are making a booking using a companion voucher for yourself and someone not on your household account?

Also just wanted to add a quick word about reward availability - been looking at various options for a long weekend at short notice with a friend as we have a companion voucher expiring soon and myself and my wife won't be able to make best use of it (F long-haul) due to domestic circumstances. Availability is superb as far as I'm concerned. Nice one BA.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jan 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Apologies for bumping a really old thread but I was just wanting to check if this was still the case.

I'm booking a trip for myself and a friend using miles and a companion voucher. My wife and myself have a household account. When trying to book on-line the only passengers I appear to be allowed to book for is my wife and myself. Is it still a case of having to phone BAEC when you have a household account and you are making a booking using a companion voucher for yourself and someone not on your household account?

Also just wanted to add a quick word about reward availability - been looking at various options for a long weekend at short notice with a friend as we have a companion voucher expiring soon and myself and my wife won't be able to make best use of it (F long-haul) due to domestic circumstances. Availability is superb as far as I'm concerned. Nice one BA.
The amex companion voucher specifically allows you to take someone outside of your household as the companion, but you cannot book with someone outside the household online, you must call.
20.Companions do not have to be people who are named within a British Airways Executive Club Household Account. Member’s can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes, you must call.
Thanks. Thought that. Went all the way through to the payment page and still no option to change the names. Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The amex companion voucher specifically allows you to take someone outside of your household as the companion, but you cannot book with someone outside the household online, you must call.
And this is also true for the U.S. Chase companion voucher (officially known as the "Travel Together Ticket"). Companions do not need to be household members, but a phone call is required. The T & C's are quite clear about this, and I have done it several times myself.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, BA Amex, VS red
cant use companion pass

My wife wants to go to NY next yr with a friend. I have x2 companion passes and so i just called up BAEC. I was told that as my companion passes were in my name on my BA acc (as it was my amex card she has a card on the acc as well) then even though my wife is on the household acc she cannot use it... i have to be one of the passengers.
Is it worth calling again?!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.