Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is Executive Club so stingy with miles?

Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club, OnePass, SkyMiles, HH, Marriott Rewards

Sorry if someone else has asked this question. I get a few miles here and there from most of the other Airline programs I belong to, although quite small, I have gotten as much as 1000 miles from games, quizzes, promotions, etc, but very rarely from BA. How come BA does not give these freebies?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
GYAC: fly some BA flights, earn miles

The recent changes for, you know, errrm, actually flying as a way to earn miles in BA's loyalty program for frequent flyers have made it very generous...and that way lies disaster enough already regarding devaluation, I fear...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And not always so stingy when not flying. Right now, for instance, the AA shopping portal gives me 3 miles per dollar for purchases made at Jos A. Banks; BA's gives me 12. With a more high-end merchant, AA gives me 5 per dollar for Nordstrom while BA gives me 12. I'm sure these numbers are dynamic and that there are examples in reverse, of course. But my point is that for a pretty mediocre poplin suit order made at Banks, I'll get nearly 1500 miles through BA as opposed to 300 with AA.

Figure it all balances out. The airlines just make it hard for you to find the really good deals.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Following a recent email, I purchased a case of wine for 40 through the BA Wine Club, and earned 1000 BA Miles.

Good wines too.

Hic
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club, OnePass, SkyMiles, HH, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Feroze
Following a recent email, I purchased a case of wine for 40 through the BA Wine Club, and earned 1000 BA Miles.

Good wines too.

Hic
I am familiar with this promotion through the BA Wine Club, however, I don't consider this a freebie as you had to pay 40 pounds for the wines!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dreamwks
I am familiar with this promotion through the BA Wine Club, however, I don't consider this a freebie as you had to pay 40 pounds for the wines!
Well, actually, no. My best friend paid for them, I got the Miles and to sample them!

Have you tried http://www.e-rewards.co.uk?

You can get Hilton HHonors and ICH Priority Club points and convert them into BA Miles.

British Airways is a business - and as they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by Feroze; Apr 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Feroze
Have you tried http://www.e-rewards.co.uk?

Thats not a freebie either as you do have have to spend a valuable 10 minutes clicking buttons. Bloody BA.

dreamwks, with all due respect, in another week of 'why are BA picking on me by following the very public terms and conditions', 'why are there no reward flights next week on routes BA can easily fill with paying flyers' and the perennial 'I have 100k frequent flyer BA miles having never actually flown with BA and am so disgusted that I have to pay the taxes I'm threatening to take the custom BA never had somewhere else', this thread is right up there with them
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If the programme weren't generous with miles, how did I end up with over 100,000 miles in a fairly short time (2 years?) without ever crediting my flights to BA?

I fly BA quite a lot but I have not credited any flights to BA yet, as everything goes to my QF membership, although this will change soon.

I do not, and have never had, any relationship with Chase either.

Everything came from non-flying activities (mostly from SPG, in fact, and the rest from BA.com eShop).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:58 am

Indeed, a significant chunk of my annual mileage comes from the e-shop. In particular, Charles Tyrwhitt's 8 miles / pound (very regularly doubled to 16).

And don't forget Tesco. Works out at a basic 4 miles / pound spent, just for doing your grocery shopping - that soon adds up.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Personally I think it would be good if BAEC started to restrict the avenues for miles earning for a couple of years to clear the balances down. Hey maybe they could focus on earning through flying with BA.....
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a curious thread. Given the huge increase in miles awarded for miles flown I find it bizarre to moan that EC is stingy. Even more ironic when you consider the Tesco abuse, BA Amex etc. BA is along with BD the moat generous FFP in Europe.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with Swanhunter ... especially now the OH can use Amex at our shiny new Waitrose just down the lane. No special bonus deals, though. Just spend money, get basic benefit.

Most of our miles seem to come through flying on BA metal, which probably puts us in a minority!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.