Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
What SRG said ... ^

My selected seat, whether paid for in ££/$$ or preselected through BAEC status, is mine on that flight. That's why I get a little piece of paper with the seat number printed on it. Period, full stop, hyphen and semi-colon.

Anything else is subject to [polite] discussion, CC intervention, a bludgy great ruck ... or an OpUp to F .
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
so it's perfectly ok for a passenger to be abusive?
If he was that abusive he should have been offloaded in the first place. I highly doubt he'd have attitude in the event of a real emergency and this screams of a CC that just wants to "punish" him with a less attractive seat. Also, in these situations, rarely will you see this kind of escalation if the CC isn't somehow involved in escalating it.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:49 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JumboD
If he was that abusive he should have been offloaded in the first place. I highly doubt he'd have attitude in the event of a real emergency and this screams of a CC that just wants to "punish" him with a less attractive seat. Also, in these situations, rarely will you see this kind of escalation if the CC isn't somehow involved in escalating it.
There is no such thing as an acceptable level of abuse. If CC believe hat he will not cooperate properly in the eventof an emergency it is up to the crew to make that judgement. If the passenger felt aggrieved he could always have spoken to the CSD
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:57 am

To offload a pax in this scenario, it must have been pretty bad I'm sure.

To offload any pax, would NOT be down to 'just' a crew member. The CSD and captain, would be involved.

Maybe he wasn't THAT abusive in the first instance. You think we enjoy offloading pax, and incurring delays?

Interesting last sentence..............

Last edited by flygirl68; Apr 9, 2011 at 11:58 am Reason: missed a word
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Sounds like a CC on a power trip. If the investigation concludes such then I think she should bear full responsibility for the delay.
I'm not quite sure where you get that from, but frankly I'm glad the crew moved an argumentative person from the exit row. You need people sat there who're happy to obey rules, not to make life difficult. Sounds like if anybody was on a power trip it was the passenger.

And not all crew are female btw.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
To offload a pax in this scenario, it must have been pretty bad I'm sure.

To offload any pax, would NOT be down to 'just' a crew member. The CSD and captain, would be involved.

Maybe he wasn't THAT abusive in the first instance. You think we enjoy offloading pax, and incurring delays?

Interesting last sentence..............
If it's just a question of a pax complaining about the state of the aircraft, which is how this started, the cc should have just walked away and let him rant, sort of how parents let their kids throw tantrums knowing they'll run out of energy within minutes and be asleep.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
There is no such thing as an acceptable level of abuse. If CC believe hat he will not cooperate properly in the eventof an emergency it is up to the crew to make that judgement. If the passenger felt aggrieved he could always have spoken to the CSD
No, there isn't an acceptable level of abuse, you and I are in complete agreement on that. Therefore, when the CC deemed it to be abuse, the pax should have been offloaded due to safety reasons. If he's truly been abusive enough to warrant the move, then the CC has to think about how much more irate he may become if moved to an inferior seat, and how that could escalate things further. If we're at that level, then the only thing to do is offload the guy from the get go, not do something to potentially fuel his rage further.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like a CC on a power trip. If the investigation concludes such then I think she should bear full responsibility for the delay.
Sounds to me more like a passenger with a big mouth who was quite rightly taken off. If I'd been there I would have given a kick up the backside to help him on his way.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And not all crew are female btw.
Based on the fact that the poster of the story referred to the CC as "she," I felt that in this case it was a safe assumption .
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CCayley
As I reported years ago on some other thread on the topic of seat stealers, I had a (more polite) version of this happen to me once on BA. Flying TATL in F I boarded to find a stereotypically fluffy old lady in my seat surrounded by purses, pillows, blankets etc. and being tended to by a matronly member of cabin crew who said something along the lines of "Oh you must be Mr. CCayley, I was sure you would be a gentleman and allow this lady to have this seat so I've moved you over there" [points to less private and desirable F
Thats appalling, the CC left you no option at all, I'd have complained to be honest. It's fine to ask but certainly not to assume.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sounds to me more like a passenger with a big mouth who was quite rightly taken off. If I'd been there I would have given a kick up the backside to help him on his way.
Ooh sometimes, when passengers are so mean to us, I would just love to do that.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:38 pm

If it's just a question of a pax complaining about the state of the aircraft, which is how this started, the cc should have just walked away and let him rant, sort of how parents let their kids throw tantrums knowing they'll run out of energy within minutes and be asleep.

I'm guessing, (obviously I wasn't there), that there was a little more to it than that, otherwise we'd be doing that most sectors.

So, if you complained loudly to me, and I just walked away, that would be acceptable? That wouldn't 'enrage you further'?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
I'm guessing, (obviously I wasn't there), that there was a little more to it than that, otherwise we'd be doing that most sectors.

So, if you complained loudly to me, and I just walked away, that would be acceptable? That wouldn't 'enrage you further'?
Well, personally, I'd probably spend a few more minuted cursing you for ignoring me (though I do so quietly) and then get distracted by something out the window .

My point was that if the pax was truly not to be trusted with exit row responsibilities than that is the point at which he should be offloaded. However, if he wasn't irate enough (initially) to warrant that, then moving him wasn't warranted either.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think I've been misunderstood here. The power trip was in reference to moving him, not to having him removed from the flight. As I said, I would question the motives of someone who felt he was too much a danger to have in the exit row but perfectly fine to keep aboard the aircraft.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've had people in my assigned seat numerous times in Y and J and if it's not that much of a difference in the seat I'll just sit in the other person's assigned seat. However a few years ago I had a real jerk in F who tried to steal 2K off of me when he was in 4E. No way I was switching and I didn't care if he had half of a WH Smith book and magazine store strewn all over the place I made the guy move despite his protestations that he was all settled in. I had a feeling this wasn't the first time he'd tried this trick because I don't know how he got that much stuff out in such a short time. It was on one of those BA flights were the crew wasn't motivated enough to show you to your seat in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.